Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any direct experience with the RC5+? Apparently, it is exclusive to my bike shop. Right now it is $799. 55mm depth, 21 mm internal, and a claimed weight of 1624g. My concern is the weight. I get it that aero is more important than weight, but I have a weight weenie Supersix EVO that is sub 15lbs, and I don't want to add tons of weight. I know some of the jet 6+ wheels ha e been over claimed weight, and I was curious if anyone weighed these. I have contacted MBS multiple times as well, but hoping for direct experience.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [BLD 25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have direct experience with the wheelset, but you can ask mybikeshop to pull a set out of the box and weigh them for you. They've done this for me in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. I’ve never been concerned with a few grams here or there so I have no idea about their weight. But, for me, I couldn’t tell any difference between them and any other HED wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GONE4ARIDE wrote:
I don't have direct experience with the wheelset, but you can ask mybikeshop to pull a set out of the box and weigh them for you. They've done this for me in the past.

Thanks, I chatted with multiple people, and no one was willing to do that for me. One gave me a spiel about how grams weren't important as aero, another told me to check back later with a different person, and another told me the specs listed were from shop weight, but there are two different numbers given. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I do. I’ve never been concerned with a few grams here or there so I have no idea about their weight. But, for me, I couldn’t tell any difference between them and any other HED wheel.

so you have these exact wheels? Do you like them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

so you have these exact wheels? Do you like them?

I had the black version. I sold them but only because I went to disc brake. Yeah they are fine. Solid HED wheel. I’m 190ish pounds so I don’t worry about the weight of a wheel that is less than carrying a few extra ounces of fluid. Great value at that price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have those exact wheels. I don't have a good scale to weigh them though (pretty old, basic digital scale only does pounds and half pounds and not too sensitive lol). FWIW, I do like them, but its the first set of race wheels that I've owned. But nice and easy since still has metal strip so don't need to change brake pads and brakes as well as the stock wheels. Wider width is noticeably nicer ride than the stock wheels that came with my bike. Happy to answer any questions I can.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [Dan94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan94 wrote:
I have those exact wheels. I don't have a good scale to weigh them though (pretty old, basic digital scale only does pounds and half pounds and not too sensitive lol). FWIW, I do like them, but its the first set of race wheels that I've owned. But nice and easy since still has metal strip so don't need to change brake pads and brakes as well as the stock wheels. Wider width is noticeably nicer ride than the stock wheels that came with my bike. Happy to answer any questions I can.

Thanks, yeah, they look nice.

I know all the research on wheels suggests that they don't make as big of a deal as we might hope. I have a 3t Accelero pro front wheel that is 37mm deep and 23mm wide, so going from that to the Jet5+ will be an improvement, but I also don't want to drop $800, gain weight, and only gain 30 seconds in a 40k.
That is my logic right now! Although, they sure do look sweet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the HED Jet 5+, which was previously sold by Performance. I use(d) them on my road bike and have had no issues with them.

I'm actually considering the disc version for a new bike I'm building up. It's either those or the new Zipp 303S.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
Dan94 wrote:
I also don't want to drop $800, gain weight, and only gain 30 seconds in a 40k. !
Well then I’m not sure a new pair of wheels is right for you. You will always spend a lot and only gain a little with this type of purchase. But, I think these wheels are about as fast as they come, relative to their depth and price.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
BLD 25 wrote:
Dan94 wrote:
I also don't want to drop $800, gain weight, and only gain 30 seconds in a 40k. !

Well then I’m not sure a new pair of wheels is right for you. You will always spend a lot and only gain a little with this type of purchase. But, I think these wheels are about as fast as they come, relative to their depth and price.

No, I get it, I am just cheap and trying to focus my money in the best spot. I wish it was like what some people think about wheels, "I put new wheels on and gained 3mph," but from what I have read, it is closer to .3, and that is over mavic open pros and the like. I have done marginal gains to get my bike to 14.5 ish lbs, and I don't want to gain too much weight for nothing! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
Dan94 wrote:

I know all the research on wheels suggests that they don't make as big of a deal as we might hope. I have a 3t Accelero pro front wheel that is 37mm deep and 23mm wide, so going from that to the Jet5+ will be an improvement, but I also don't want to drop $800, gain weight, and only gain 30 seconds in a 40k.

I think that will be the case with any aero wheelset you choose, whether it be HED Jets, Zipps, Reynolds, etc. None of the newer clinchers are light.
If weight is really important to you, maybe look at carbon tubulars?

Are you looking to make your bike lighter, or are you looking to make it faster?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
BLD 25 wrote:
Dan94 wrote:

I think that will be the case with any aero wheelset you choose, whether it be HED Jets, Zipps, Reynolds, etc. None of the newer clinchers are light.
If weight is really important to you, maybe look at carbon tubulars?

Are you looking to make your bike lighter, or are you looking to make it faster?

Good point. I am okay with a bit of a weight gain. I can stomach going from my 1480g clinchers to 1624g that these are advertised. I just don't want to get them and weight them out to 1750 after I have bought them. I don't want to add 3/4lb to my bike to gain 20sec. But I could handle it for .4-.5 if that makes sense. It is just a hobby!

As far as tubulars go, That is appealing, but as I understand it, clinchers have become so good with rolling resistance, that while I might gain a weight and bit of aero advantage, I would lose out in crr, and also it is a huge hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I think the point is, even if you gain an extra pound, does it matter if it makes you measurably faster?

I completely understand some people like to geek out on making a bike light, but it really has next to zero effect on speed.

ANYWAY, since we weren't really answering your question......I just ran down to the bike room and weighed my rear HED Jet 9 Black wheel - just the wheel, no tire/tube, no skewer, no cassette, but it -does- have the thin black HED rim tape installed.

It weighed in at 1017 grams. HED's website claims 1040 grams, but not sure if that 'claimed' weight includes skewer, etc. But I'd guess its just the bare wheel.

So looks like it came in under weight. Hopefully a good sign they are pretty accurate with their claims.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 25, 21 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
Dan94 wrote:

My 3T Accelero Pro front has a mass of ~790 g (rear at 965 g). Even assuming that the Jet 5+ wheels are 100 g over claimed (so 1,725 g), they are still lighter than the Accelero. I should note that Jet 6+ wheels have been measured at ~1,680 g and at 1,706 g

Also, gaining 30 seconds in a 40 km from wheels alone is actually quite the return.

BLD 25 wrote:

No, I get it, I am just cheap and trying to focus my money in the best spot. I wish it was like what some people think about wheels, "I put new wheels on and gained 3mph," but from what I have read, it is closer to .3, and that is over mavic open pros and the like. I have done marginal gains to get my bike to 14.5 ish lbs, and I don't want to gain too much weight for nothing! :)

Sorry to be blunt, but that's an internal contradiction you need to sort out for yourself. Getting a size 58 bike to 14.5 lbs is not trivial and likely requires some rather expensive parts.

Also, what's is the goal of this exercise? Lightest bike possible, being faster on flat TTs, being faster on hilly TTs, better looks, etc? Some of these aims may not be compatible with one another.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I think the point is, even if you gain an extra pound, does it matter if it makes you measurably faster?

I completely understand some people like to geek out on making a bike light, but it really has next to zero effect on speed.

ANYWAY, since we weren't really answering your question......I just ran down to the bike room and weighed my rear HED Jet 9 Black wheel - just the wheel, no tire/tube, no skewer, no cassette, but it -does- have the thin black HED rim tape installed.

It weighed in at 1017 grams. HED's website claims 1040 grams, but not sure if that 'claimed' weight includes skewer, etc. But I'd guess its just the bare wheel.

So looks like it came in under weight. Hopefully a good sign they are pretty accurate with their claims.
Thank you, that is helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
[
My 3T Accelero Pro front has a mass of ~790 g (rear at 965 g). Even assuming that the Jet 5+ wheels are 100 g over claimed (so 1,725 g), they are still lighter than the Accelero. I should note that Jet 6+ wheels have been measured at ~1,680 g and at 1,706 g

Also, gaining 30 seconds in a 40 km from wheels alone is actually quite the return.

BLD 25 wrote:

Sorry to be blunt, but that's an internal contradiction you need to sort out for yourself. Getting a size 58 bike to 14.5 lbs is not trivial and likely requires some rather expensive parts.

Also, what's is the goal of this exercise? Lightest bike possible, being faster on flat TTs, being faster on hilly TTs, better looks, etc? Some of these aims may not be compatible with one another.

You got me! That is the point of this forum, is to discuss these things, and you bring up some good points. The Accelero I have is one that I built from a trashed wheel, and I now have it on an american classic micro58 front hub, and it is sub700g now.

You are right, getting light with a 58cm frame hasn't been cheap, but it has been a slow progression over years of little upgrades. Honestly, it is partially a pride thing, and it feels like it throws out some of my work from the past few years. Still, a 15.4lb SS EVO with 55mm wheels, powermeter, etc, is going to be a fantastic bike.

All in all, I was looking to see how close these are to published weight and some actual feedback on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of Jet 5 Plus wheels from MBS, but don’t have the exact weight on them. My Jet 6 Plus weigh 745 front, 960 rear with rim tape. So 1705 total. One thing to keep in mind is the Jet 5 Plus wheels come with rounded spokes. The Jet 6 Plus come with CX Ray aero blades spokes. I didn’t realize that when I purchased the 5s, and ended up selling them locally for 50 less than I got them for. Probably doesn’t make much of a difference, but if I was buying an aero wheel set I wanted bladed spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rexnebula wrote:
I had a set of Jet 5 Plus wheels from MBS, but don’t have the exact weight on them. My Jet 6 Plus weigh 745 front, 960 rear with rim tape. So 1705 total. One thing to keep in mind is the Jet 5 Plus wheels come with rounded spokes. The Jet 6 Plus come with CX Ray aero blades spokes. I didn’t realize that when I purchased the 5s, and ended up selling them locally for 50 less than I got them for. Probably doesn’t make much of a difference, but if I was buying an aero wheel set I wanted bladed spokes.
Yes, I noticed this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [rexnebula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rexnebula wrote:
This was one of my concerns that the claimed weight wasn't correct for the 5s if they used heavier spokes than the 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes little sense. Round spokes add maybe 0.5g per spoke and you're comparing wheels with different fairing depth. There's nothing you can infer from the round spokes here.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC5 from mybikeshop [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
That makes little sense. Round spokes add maybe 0.5g per spoke and you're comparing wheels with different fairing depth. There's nothing you can infer from the round spokes here.

I disagree a bit here. A Sapim CX-Ray is about 4.6g, and the Sapim race is about 5.6-6g. So let's figure conservatively a ~45g gain total for spokes over the Jet 6.

The carbon fairing probably adds very little weight on the 5mm difference from the Jet 5-6. It only adds about ~75g for the front, and ~95g for the rear from the Jet 4 according to HEDs website. That is for a 16mm increase. By that, I would guess the fairing on the Jet6 is only about ~40-50g more per wheel tops. Maybe quite a bit less. So maybe still a smidge lighter for the Jet5, but this brings me to my point. If they are way off the listed weight and about the same weight as the Jet 6+, I can find those used cheaper. All in all, I was just looking to see if anyone had any first hand experience with them and the weight. It takes me awhile to make spending decisions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
It takes me awhile to make spending decisions!
Same and I was kicking around the 5 vs. 6 + ball for a bit and then the Black vs. 'regular' versions. Eventually I found a great deal on a set of almost new wheels at a shop and went with the 6+ non black version. They're great wheels, aero, not crazy heavy, resilient and I was able to set them up tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

I disagree a bit here. A Sapim CX-Ray is about 4.6g, and the Sapim race is about 5.6-6g. So let's figure conservatively a ~45g gain total for spokes over the Jet 6.

The carbon fairing probably adds very little weight on the 5mm difference from the Jet 5-6. It only adds about ~75g for the front, and ~95g for the rear from the Jet 4 according to HEDs website. That is for a 16mm increase. By that, I would guess the fairing on the Jet6 is only about ~40-50g more per wheel tops. Maybe quite a bit less. So maybe still a smidge lighter for the Jet5, but this brings me to my point. If they are way off the listed weight and about the same weight as the Jet 6+, I can find those used cheaper. All in all, I was just looking to see if anyone had any first hand experience with them and the weight. It takes me awhile to make spending decisions!

The mass of the wheels may very well vary quite a bit, often by more than 50 g. your best bet, as suggested by the second post, is to give MBS a call, ask them to determine the mass of a specific set, and buy that set, if the mass is acceptable to you.

You could get 90% of the people telling you that their Jet 6+ or Jet 5 has a particular mass and still end up with the odd set that just happened to be on the heavier side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
rexnebula wrote:
This was one of my concerns that the claimed weight wasn't correct for the 5s if they used heavier spokes than the 6.

You are now concerned about the weight of spokes?!!?!?! Again, if this is a concern of yours, I would look elsewhere. My overall system weight will vary probably more if I decide to stick 3 gels into my back pocket instead of 2 on the morning of a ride. There’s research. And then there’s over-the-top obsession. If I’m being blunt, You have crossed that line.
Quote Reply

Prev Next