Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish?
Quote | Reply
Other than a roughly 80 gram weight savings, any good reason to spend the extra roughly 1k to get Vanquish wheels instead of the Jet RC's (disc brake models)?

Looking at Vanquish 8's, or a Jet RC9/6 combo. And for that matter, would you go 9/9 instead with the Jets? I was thinking the 6 front is prob so close aero-wise to the 9, lighter and easier in wind...

And...if I could get them for almost same price as Jets, any reason to get last year's 808 Firecrest wheels instead (not NSW)? Doesn't seem to be any advantage, not even in weight... Bling factor I guess..
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 31, 20 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The internal rim width of the 808s (19mm) is kind of old school. With people wanting to run 28s, especially on the rear, you are going to have a pretty bad mismatch/lollipop shaped tire and rim profile.

I have a slug of different Jets (5/6/9) and some limited time on a Vanquish 6. I rode the Vanquish in some howling crosswinds last week and they seemed more stable than the Jets would be. Granted these are different bikes (rim vs disc brake) but I would say the Vanquish felt better.

I guess I would say that the Jet was pretty much the best all around rim brake wheel, but I would tend toward the Vanquish for disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Vanquish and love them so far. I looked at Flo, Zipp, DT Swiss, and Roval models and ultimately went with the Vanquish.

I had a rim pair of Jet but immediately sold them on my previous bike. The fairing isn’t structural and is quite thin. I was too worried about it cracking easily or otherwise getting damaged that I moved on right away.

I have zero doubt the Jet are amazing performance wheels. But I just couldn’t get past the fairing.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I have the Vanquish and love them so far. I looked at Flo, Zipp, DT Swiss, and Roval models and ultimately went with the Vanquish.

I had a rim pair of Jet but immediately sold them on my previous bike. The fairing isn’t structural and is quite thin. I was too worried about it cracking easily or otherwise getting damaged that I moved on right away.

I have zero doubt the Jet are amazing performance wheels. But I just couldn’t get past the fairing.

I think the most common defect I’ve seen on secondhand Jets is that the fairing is cracking around a spoke hole. It’s usually pretty minor. I think it can happen when a spoke is physically touching the fairing, and then you ride over bumps in the road and the spoke vibrates. I have a little bit of fraying on my set around one spoke hole. Again, it’s usually pretty minor. I also don’t ride mine everyday. Basically, it is an issue, but I’m not convinced it’s an enormous one - that said, those wheels aren’t my daily drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - it clearly isn’t that big of an issue. Or you’d hear a lot more about it.

But for things like traveling with the wheels, packing them to be checked on an airplane, it would have been one of those things always in the back of my mind with the Jets.

But honestly, I don’t think there’s a wrong choice.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Yeah - it clearly isn’t that big of an issue. Or you’d hear a lot more about it.

But for things like traveling with the wheels, packing them to be checked on an airplane, it would have been one of those things always in the back of my mind with the Jets.

But honestly, I don’t think there’s a wrong choice.

I have been using Jets as my daily drivers on both my road and TT bike for probably 4 years now and just haven’t had any issues with the fairings. Materials that have some flexibility tend to bend rather than crack under minor impacts, so the flexibility might actually be a feature rather than a weakness.

I am sure you could break the fairing in a crash or some other incident where you rip multiple spokes out of the wheel, but that same type of event would probably ruin something like a 404 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, ordered the JET Black RC disc 9/6 set from MBS for 1299, seemed like an easy choice.
Yeah I've had Jets in the past, not worried about the fairing, its not really structural anyway and I don't hang my bikes by their wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve gotten 2 sets of hed jet black wheels from MBS and couldn’t be happier. I’m a HED wheel junky. I think the quality for price is among the best on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I’ve gotten 2 sets of hed jet black wheels from MBS and couldn’t be happier. I’m a HED wheel junky. I think the quality for price is among the best on the market.

Me as well. Stingers, trispokes, Jets, Jet blacks (rim), and now the disc blacks. And my second purchase from MBS, great service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went with the Vanquish RC 6/8 from MBS.
Because it's the fastest wheel they have ever made...says so in their advertisement. ☺
Real happy with them and ordered the disc during the Black Friday sale.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet RC's vs Vanquish? [Brewbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brewbadger wrote:
Went with the Vanquish RC 6/8 from MBS.
Because it's the fastest wheel they have ever made...says so in their advertisement. ☺
Real happy with them and ordered the disc during the Black Friday sale.

I def would have gone with the Vanquish 8's, but the price difference over the jets for me was just too much. Glad you like them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caught a sale from MBS. They seem to have some nice sale prices if you can wait for one.
Sold a wheelset and crankset to help offset the cost.
Quote Reply