Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question
Quote | Reply
I'm almost due for new tires and would like to go with tubeless GP5000's on my HED Jet 6+ wheels (I'm currently not running them tubeless). How tight can/should I crank down the valve nut to get a good seal without damaging the carbon fairing?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend using either HED's stems which include a "support" piece design to spread the load or else Silca's SpeedShield which would do something similar.

I haven't used HED's, but using the SpeedShield I can crank down on the nut until it becomes really hard to move just using my fingers. And that's worked just fine for me.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Interesting that the HED stems appear to be different from the ones they sell on their US website, which don't include that piece. The Silca ones look slick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you press the valve hard with your thumb then just tighten the nut slightly I find it sealing properly on my Hed wheels. You also avoid twisting the little saddle avoiding any damage both from crushing and torque.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teinvall wrote:
If you press the valve hard with your thumb then just tighten the nut slightly I find it sealing properly on my Hed wheels. You also avoid twisting the little saddle avoiding any damage both from crushing and torque.

correct.
We have intentionally tried to break Jets by overtightening valves. No failures. As long as you are not using tools you'll be fine.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andy!
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow what a great source having Hed coming in.

Since the GP5000TL only comes in 25mm as minimum width and it measure 26.7mm on my rims. Are there any current unless tire that would fulfill the “rule of 105” on the jet+ rim? Or are there any other guidelines applicable for these rims?

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rule of 105 is not ours. We don't think of it as the rule for our rims, because our inside width is wider than the rims that were the basis for the formulation of "105". There's less cavity at the rim/tire interface on a Jet than on most other wheels, especially ones from a few years ago. Remember, the Plus rims have been around since 2014.
True, there is a point where tire overhang will start to affect aero. But on our wheels we don't see a night and day, jump off the cliff thing in the wind tunnel.

The last wheels we've run lately are the Vanquish, and actual 26mm and actual 32mm (GP4000 labeled 23 and 28mm) were the fastest. 25mm was slower at several yaws.
I'll be honest, we don't go back to the wind tunnel every time a new tire comes out, so advising on the best current tire for Jets is an educated guess. But my guess is the 25mm 5000 would work very well.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will say that when I did the little crowdfund raise for testing the aeroness of the Vittoria Corsa Speed when it came out we found that narrow tires were still better aerodynamically. Just something to think about. I would never buy that the 26mm are faster on HED JET+ than say a 23. If you are interested in the data set I wrote up the results here way back in the day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orange Seal Valves.
Don't over torque and smash the grommet, tighten until the hold air without leaking by hand.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ Tubeless Set-up Question [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Thomas, thank you for the link to your wind tunnel research, I really enjoyed the data provided. I wanted to point out Andy is using the measured width vs labeled width. The measured 26mm is a labeled 23mm (Continental GP 4000) tire, I believe HED’s testing is agreeing with yours. Do you by chance have what the measured widths are of tires tested? I’d be curious what the Vittoria Coursa Speed measured out to be on the HED Jet +. I searched briefly again through the article and forum but didn’t find it yet.

Hope you are doing well,

Cheers
Quote Reply