Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Jet+ Disc owners. What rim tape?
Quote | Reply
I bought my Disc last year when MyBikeShop was having a sale, but only going to use it for the first time this Sunday on a race. Stupid me didn't mount a tire sooner, and just realized that they didn't ship the disc with the HED rim tape. I spoke with them and they will ship out the tape, but won't arrive until next week.

I see some options from Amazon, and I've read some posts from other people but I would like to know what are people currently using in their HED Plus wheels.

Would this work?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ Disc owners. What rim tape? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two wraps of Stan’s works fine for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure which HED tape they are sending, but I have had 2 different tapes from HED, a tan one and a black one(says hed on it). The black one make all tire mountings way easier. I don't know why, but i was able to easily mount a 4000 GPII without any tools with black tape. that was not the case with original tan tape. tan tape spec'd 2 layers, black tape spec's 1 layer, but feels thicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
I bought my Disc last year when MyBikeShop was having a sale, but only going to use it for the first time this Sunday on a race. Stupid me didn't mount a tire sooner, and just realized that they didn't ship the disc with the HED rim tape. I spoke with them and they will ship out the tape, but won't arrive until next week.

I see some options from Amazon, and I've read some posts from other people but I would like to know what are people currently using in their HED Plus wheels.

Would this work?

You are going to want the Stans 25mm rim tape for that rim. I wouldn't go with velox for sure for this as the tires are already hard to get on the rims as the velox is thicker.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet+ Disc owners. What rim tape? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

Would this work?

You are going to want the Stans 25mm rim tape for that rim. I wouldn't go with velox for sure for this as the tires are already hard to get on the rims as the velox is thicker.

Thanks for this. I'm an idiot, I didn't know I needed the tape and I blew up two tubes last night before realizing it. One of them was my Vittoria Latex :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a pinch. I've used two wraps of electrical tape. It actually work well, but over time will stretch into the spoke holes so not a permanent solution.

I have been using this tape for tubeless applications: Tesa 4288 tensilised polypropylene tape. Comes in 19 and 24mm widths. In 60 yard rolls so less expensive than Stans and besides Stans being yellow, not sure I can tell the difference between the two tapes.

(Not affiliated with this seller at all)

https://www.ebay.com/...p2055119.m1438.l2649
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

Would this work?

Thanks for this. I'm an idiot, I didn't know I needed the tape and I blew up two tubes last night before realizing it. One of them was my Vittoria Latex :(

It is what it is. Not sure why MyBikeShop didn't include the rim tape. Every disc wheel should come with some RIM tape, a skewer and some HED valve stickers. At least you probably didn't get too high in PSI before it went **poof**. Could have been worse.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 (24mm wide). 55m (as in meters) roll on Amazon is just under $6 (this is the exact one I bought/use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0Z21PK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Works perfectly fine on my Jet+ wheels with butyl tubes and I plan on switching to latex for this upcoming season (both on this and my road bike rims that are only C2 rims). Did 2 layers to err on the safe side actually. And yes I do have the HED branded black tape just never bother to actually use it yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
It is what it is. Not sure why MyBikeShop didn't include the rim tape. Every disc wheel should come with some RIM tape, a skewer and some HED valve stickers. At least you probably didn't get too high in PSI before it went **poof**. Could have been worse.

I spoke to them this morning and they will ship it, but yeah, it came with that other stuff, but not the tape.

Do you mean I could've damage the disc itself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I spoke to them this morning and they will ship it, but yeah, it came with that other stuff, but not the tape.

No, just that the bang could have been a lot louder and scarier... I am assuming you didn't get very high in PSI before the latex tube pooped.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

No, just that the bang could have been a lot louder and scarier... I am assuming you didn't get very high in PSI before the latex tube pooped.

Yeah, PSI was pretty low for the latex. I always inflate to like 40psi and give it a good inspection. I was having issues getting the latex under the tire, so I had to deflate a few times and re-try. I think it blew somewhere around 60psi and I initially thought it was because I had incorrectly installed the latex tube. The normal tube blew higher, somewhere around 90, that's when I knew someone was wrong. Oh well, now I know.

Since I have you here, do you think a 19-24 latex tube would work on a 25mm GP4000ii tire? Or is it too risky?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I wish I’d seen this an hour ago... after trying to fight a gp4000 onto a 650c wheel I began to wonder if the thickness of the tape was enough to make it impossible. Whipped off the tape (velox) & it popped on with only mild persuasion.
Quote Reply