Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Ardennes Black wheels
Quote | Reply
So, I bought a pair to replace the aging OEM wheels from my Felt DA4 a few months ago. I bought new tires, as well - Continental GP 4 Season 25mm.
They were the most difficult tires I've ever mounted. Or, is it, they were the most difficult rims I've ever mounted tires to. IDK. I broke two levers trying to get them on, but eventually did. Fell in love with the combo on first ride. While they've been doing their thing on my bike, I foresaw the day I'd have to either replace a tube or tire and bought that cool tire mounting gadget and a couple of Pedro's big fat yellow levers.
The day came a few days ago as I ran over something big enough to pinch flat the rear. For the life of me, I couldn't squeeze the bead off the rim to leverage a lever in there. We were close to home, so I had my GF continue on, get the car and pick me up. At home, I wrestled with it for a good hour (got great hand/finger muscle exercise in) before a small segment of bead slipped away from the rim. I seriously thought I'd have to cut the tire off. Once a small section of bead broke away, the rest moved easily. The other side bead wouldn't move at all, as if it was welded to the rim, but I didn't really need to move that one off to change the tube out.
Once changed, the mounting gadget came to the rescue, making it easier, but still quite hard, as if it was gonna break, to get the bead back onto the rim. (Yes, I did small segments at a time.)
Is this normal with this combination? I've had some toughies before, but this is an order of magnitude tougher than others I've dealt with. Why is it so tough?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Ardennes Black wheels [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you have the wide plus rims this is the video you are looking for. I have the Jets which are the same rim as the Ardennes, was almost impossible until I found this and now it is as easy as 1-2-3

https://m.youtube.com/...-XFMGDO2rA&t=36s
Quote Reply
Re: HED Ardennes Black wheels [EiE_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the video. That's pretty much what I do... good for first time install of tire. But, trying to remove one side of the tire is what's killing me. The beads are super stuck to the rims.Getting it separated exhausted my fingers/hands. And, with the other side literally welded to the rim, I can't get that side down into the center well to make it easier to remount after tube replacement. I think it is just one of "those" combinations.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: HED Ardennes Black wheels [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Ardennes Black too. Love them.

To unmount a tire, you go around the rim and pinch the tire in to free it from the edge. The beads will settle in the center and then you can easily lift a tire free with a tool. I had a pair of GP4K2 tires on them, then I switched to GP5K recently.
Quote Reply