Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Aerolab frame ready to roll : Pix
Quote | Reply
Here's some pix of the new HED Aerolab fully assembled. I'm racing my first TT on it this weekend (25km) and will be putting a full review up in a month or so. Thus far I'm very impressed with the feel and handling of the bike! http://www.onlinetriathlon.com/images/HED.htm

Simmo
Quote Reply
Re: HED Aerolab frame ready to roll : Pix [Simmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks real nice. Good luck in the TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike looks great and is the only thing I've seen recently that would make me leave my modifed TCR. However did we ever establish what the seat tube angle is on this ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one fantastic bike. You did a great job.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one here that thinks that this is just an average TT frame, and that if it didn't carry Hed's name people wouldn't be all over it? I mean, I've seen better (looking) frames that were downright bashed just because they hadn't the "right" seat angle, for one.

What about that top tube size? The only justification for it is if the wall thickness is about 0.0001mm...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: HED Aerolab frame ready to roll : Pix [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Am I the only one here that thinks that this is just an average TT frame, and that if it didn't carry Hed's name people wouldn't be all over it? I mean, I've seen better (looking) frames that were downright bashed just because they hadn't the "right" seat angle, for one

I'm sure the fact that HED makes it is a good part of it's appeal. That being said, I think when you compare the frame to other TT/aero frames in it's price range, well, there aren't many.

Quote:

What about that top tube size? The only justification for it is if the wall thickness is about 0.0001mm...

Well, maybe. I have no idea what aerodynamic testing they did with this frame. HED claims they did a lot... I know other manufacturers have gone the small top tube route, and I assume that's what your basing your opinion that this frames TT is too big. But even if going to a smaller TT on other frames made aerodynamic sense (and that's a big if), doesn't mean the same applies to this frame.

Quote:

However did we ever establish what the seat tube angle is on this ?

73.5 degrees. With my Arione saddle pushed all the way forward, and measured to the middle of the seat, it gave 75.5-76 degrees. I ride mine back at 72.5 degrees or so.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: HED Aerolab frame ready to roll : Pix [smartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't have to test it in a windtunnel to know that it's terrible for yaw angles different from zero. And besides that it's questionable in structural terms.

Also is it established that it was Hed that designed the frame? Because it could be a design available in one of Taiwan's manufacturers that Hed branded as theirs.

-

Last edited by: smartasscoach: Jan 29, 04 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You don't have to test it in a windtunnel to know that it's terrible for yawn angles different from zero. And besides that it's questionable in structural terms.

Well, yes you do. I mean, you don't need a wind tunnel to know that disk wheels suck in crosswinds right? And I'm not sure what you mean by 'questionable in structural terms'. The design of the top tube has a lot to do with how vertically compliant a frame is (both shape and material), but that's a complicated thing to just infer from a picture.

Anyone who thinks they can look at a piece of equipment (frame, wheel, whatever) and know how it would react in a wind tunnel is either God, or wrong.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone with a fluid mechanics background, let alone windtunnel experience, is capable of telling you what might work and is worth testing, or what won't work at all. That top tube is a good example of the latter.

Paulo

"neither god or wrong"

-

Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: HED Aerolab frame ready to roll : Pix [RipVanWinkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yawn angles? Ooops! LOL...

It was an honest mistake, the talk that you have to windtunnel test everything makes me yawn ;-)

Does anybody know if an elephant is aerodynamically eficient? Nobody knows, it's hard to get an elephant inside a windtunnel to test it (him).

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much is this frame? 1200? you can get a P2K for about that. You can get a javelin for about that price too. You could also get a QR (caliente?) for around price. All these bikes would have similar features, except in the case of cervelo and QR they are executed much better (rear wheel cutouts that actually might work).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Am I the only one here that thinks that this is just an average TT frame, and that if it didn't carry Hed's name people wouldn't be all over it? I mean, I've seen better (looking) frames that were downright bashed just because they hadn't the "right" seat angle, for one.

Yeah, that's real cool Mr. Sensitivity ... Simmo spends his hard-earned money on a new bike, is excited enough to post pictures of it, and you piss on his parade.

Geez, maybe next time someone starts a thread about his new bike or component, let the poor guy have his glory and start a separate thread to dog it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Simmo... elephants, fluids, yawn, Taiwan, whatever... it's a very cool looking bike. And if it's 2 seconds slower in the 40k time trial - well, then pedal your ass off for one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi and you'll have made the time up and looked cool doing it on your new bike.

ENJOY IT!
Quote Reply
Well, I for one, think it's cool...n/m [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im pretty sure Simmo's HUGE!!!!! quad's pumping up and down like a lunatic are going to upset the airflow comming from any direction more than a god damn top tube.
Didnt you get told to leave it alone or it would drop off.....
Nice bike Simmo
Quote Reply
Re: HED Aerolab frame ready to roll : Pix [petesprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad my FIRST post on here has been met with such ominous comments..... (what does ominous mean?)

Hey smartarse coach...when I posted pics of my bike I thought you guys would be interested in seeing it. Mate, look at it, and go "yeah it looks good" or "No, it looks bad", Don't you know a bike's a bike, and before you start talking yaw angles, disc wheels, aero forks blah blah, you've got to think, "hey, if I spend a little more time training, and a little less time spanking myself over this website, I'd be faster with or without my two second deficit caused by a fat top tube."

Maybe I came third today in the TT because I have a fat top tube.....maybe I cam third because I have a shitty power to weight ratio, maybe I'm not as fit as the guy who came first, mind you, his bike had a slim top tube.....you know if I was a bit more aero, I could make up the 5 minutes he belted me by....

As quoted by many of you this is a sweet looking ride, that said, I'm working feverishly on my legs and lungs in order to get them up to the standard Steve HED has set with this bike.

Simmo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Settle Simon (SS)......
Hey, nice post but a tad aggressive. Glad you like the bike, it looks better than how i had it built.
I wonder if all the people bagging the frame angles, realize it's pretty close to a kestrel Talon geo.......mmmm, does not seem like they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simmo,

I think the bike looks fantastic!

I would have put FSA carbon cranks and a Campy Chorus derailleur on it, but hey that's just me. :)

What were your impressions of the ride? Smooth, stiff, other?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go, Simmo. Stand up for yourself to these know-it-alls...

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Om´i`nous
Adj. 1. ominous - threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments; "a baleful look"; "forbidding thunderclouds"; "his tone became menacing"; "ominous rumblings of discontent"; "sinister storm clouds"; "a sinister smile"; "his threatening behavior"; "ugly black clouds"; "the situation became ugly" menacing, minacious, minatory, sinister, threatening, baleful, forbidding, ugly alarming - causing alarm or fear 2. ominous - presaging ill-fortune; "ill omens"; "ill predictions"; "my words with inauspicious thunderings shook heaven"- P.B.Shelley; "a dead and ominous silence prevailed"; "a by-election at a time highly unpropitious for the Government"

There ya go... I would say your post is a bit ominous, not the response :-)

Anyway, congrats on your result, my objective was never to put you down and it looks like we both believe in the power of good legs.

Paulo

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HEy Paulo,

No worries mate....I get a bit fired up at times.... keep an eye on the same link for a review before Ironman Australia 4/4/04.

OzHEDuuuuude......you are a bloody legend!!!!
Quote Reply