Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gym re-openings?
Quote | Reply
my gyms (24 Hour Fitness and local YMCA) has yet to open

But in going thru the procedures for 24 Hour Fitness and other general comments about other full service gyms...question.

Anyone where their gyms have re-opened, are the locker rooms/showers closed off and not able to use?

I am primarily a before work gym goer and that would not work. Though I am on the fence if I want to immediate return if/when they reopen

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is mixed in my area. My YMCAs have been open for a month, but the locker rooms & showers are still closed. Some other gyms do have their showers open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No word yet

We were all talking about this the other day, and even when it does reopen, we won't be rushing back - give it a couple weeks at least, maybe a month

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our Y opened 2 1/2 weeks ago to limited #'s. Have to make reservations but lockers/showers open. One person per lane in pool limited to one hour per day.

Actually nice for those of us who use it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My small gym (Atlanta area) has re-opened with limited capacity and hours, temperature checks at the door and masks required until you begin your workout. Locker rooms are closed, but a one-person restroom is open. One person/household per swim lane, but no reservation system (they say to "call for availability"). When I went back for the first time last week, I was swimming with 8 people in a 6-lane pool so I wish it were an actual reservation system. I arrived wearing my swimsuit under my clothes and drove home damp. I could have changed in the tiny restroom, but figured I'd just head home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in NH. The gym I go to and the one my son swim's at with his team is open and constantly evolving their process.

The last 2 weeks the gym has been open only for classes (Spin, yoga, etc) and lane swimming and you have to reserve your spot. 1hr max on the swim per day, 1 person per lane. The floor and cardio just opened up yesterday. Need to have a mask on. You still have to reserve your spot so they can limit the number of people in the gym at once and you have to distance yourself once inside (no adjacent machine use). 2 hour max per day and the gym closes for 30 minutes every 2.5 hrs so they can disinfect. Locker rooms are closed except for access to the toilets. You're expected to leave in the clothes you show up in. No bags. I'm thinking of sneaking a morning swim in as I have showers at work, we'll see.

For my sons swim team they wear masks until they're in the water, check their temps at the door, no bags/fins/snorkels. Towel goes on the bleachers 6' away from everyone else's towel (marked with an X on the bleacher). 2 kids per lane, always start and end at separate ends of the pool. Coaches masked the whole time. Arrive in your suit, leave in your suit, you can have shorts/pants over them if you want.

There has been weekly communication from the gym via email. They didn't charge membership fees for the months of April and May and if you don't use the facility in June they won't charge for that either. They will start charging in July unless you cancel and they've given everyone the option to opt if they would like to. My son has been swimming 2 times a week for the last 3 weeks but I haven't been back in yet. So far I'm pleased with what they've done. It seems safe and in line with the situation we are seeing in our local area. I'm right on the MA/NH border so 20 miles south is a whole other story but the level of contact and their procedures seem appropriate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 24 Hour Fitness in Texas just reopened. The pool, showers, and lockers are closed. However, you can use the locker rooms for the restroom.

On top of that, it's open from 5 am to 9 pm, and you have to sign up online for a 1 hour time slot.

I just cancelled my membership because I only used 24H for swimming before work. No pool and no showers means the gym is of no use to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
24 Hour Fitness filed for bankruptcy on Monday and said it would permanently close more than 130 of its 400 clubs across 10 states.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTime Fitness in Colorado. I'm a brand new member (since the Denver Rec centers are still closed) and generally it seems like business as usual... The gym is immaculate. An indoor and outdoor pool - 2 to a lane.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gym I go to is two floors, purposefully I have not gone upstairs since going back. Upstairs has all the cardio, locker rooms, bathrooms, etc. I'm on a strict get in, get out plan. I've got a 30 minute time limit for 15 sets of heavy stuff, depending on how crowded the barbells are I can get everything done in 25 minutes.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
My small gym (Atlanta area) has re-opened with limited capacity and hours, temperature checks at the door and masks required until you begin your workout. Locker rooms are closed, but a one-person restroom is open. One person/household per swim lane, but no reservation system (they say to "call for availability"). When I went back for the first time last week, I was swimming with 8 people in a 6-lane pool so I wish it were an actual reservation system. I arrived wearing my swimsuit under my clothes and drove home damp. I could have changed in the tiny restroom, but figured I'd just head home.

Restroom/locker room is my big concern when our pool reopens. I'm not too worried about using the pool itself but you won't catch me in a locker room any time soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym (YMCA) opened today. Pre-register for a swim lane. starts every hour on the hour and ends on the 45.

Other classes start next week with same "pre-register" needed.

Locker room is open with most lockers "locked". 1 shower to rinse before entering the pool.

1'st swim in 3 months was a killer.....

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gym opened this week thank god, Im also more sore than ive ever been. locker rooms, water fountains and pissers are closed. towel and mask required and we are given wipe down materials to carry with us
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing I forgot mention - which I'm cross-posting from the LR

There are a bunch of guys at our gym that stop just short of wearing MAGA hats, but still parade around in Blue Lives Matter gear, Punisher shirts, and other assorted "patriotic" exclamations that I openly disliked. In fact, I'm considering NOT renewing/cancelling my membership when it does come back with the expressed reason of "Too many cops here"

Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
My 24 Hour Fitness in Texas just reopened. The pool, showers, and lockers are closed. However, you can use the locker rooms for the restroom.

On top of that, it's open from 5 am to 9 pm, and you have to sign up online for a 1 hour time slot.

I just cancelled my membership because I only used 24H for swimming before work. No pool and no showers means the gym is of no use to me.

Seems based on the responses so far, most only use gyms for the pools.

My most used 24H and closest to my office is now permanently closed due to the bankruptcy but i have a few other ones in the area.

I go before work out of commuting convenience. Live in NY, work in NJ. In the summer, I go to 24H and run outside and then shower to head to the office. Winter I hit the treadmill. Maybe once in awhile, hit the pool at 24H or Y

During this Work From Home time, I wish some of the boutique studios I also belong to (OrangeTheory or hot yoga) would open. I would like to take advantage of those classes more, and those I just head home afterwards. so no concerns of locker-rooms/showers.

Like you, I will probably cancel my 24H membership for now, and they will probably offer up a discounted "we miss you rate" as once business travel opens back up I do utilize my All-Access level quite a bit.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jun 17, 20 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym (LA Fitness, metro Atlanta) is completely re-opened. They have closed only the basketball court (because it is being used to spread out the candiovascular equipment from its normal location) and the dry sauna. About 1/3 of the lockers are open to preserve social distancing, every other shower stall is open, the pool is a 3-lane pool and the middle lane is closed and only one swimmer is allowed in each lane.

They have touchless check-in, have spaced out the spin bikes for the spin classes and take your temp when you walk in. They also seem to have a couple of people walking around cleaning at all times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
dktxracer wrote:

Seems based on the responses so far, most only use gyms for the pools.

D'Wife & I swim together but mostly she does her thing [bike, weights, TM] and I do mine [also TM, bike, weights, but different ones in a different order]

Another thing we were talking about the other night: when we get back to the weights, we're all going to have to re-baseline ourselves after not being on the strength-training floor for 3 months now, and only doing what body-weight work we've been able to manage/invent

Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orange Theory has been opened for a month on Texas. Max occupancy is 12 and it used to be 24. 12 treadmills, 12 rowing machine and weight floor. They allow every other equipment, so no one is right next to you.

Lifetime has been open too. Half of the lockers, shower booths and faucets are open. They removed the saddles on every other stationary bike, so no one is right next to you. Spin class is reservation only throught their app. If you don't show up three times, you can't make a reservation for a year. You must cancel it before, so other people can use. Kids don't care much, so they play basketball, swim and workout together, but old folks including myself wear masks. I used to spend a lot of time there, but I cut that in half to reduce the risk. I can see that a lot of people put their accounts on hold(you still have to pay $15 every month) or cancelled their memberships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym opened the outdoor stuff -- pools, pickleball and tennis courts -- about a month ago. Just opened the weight room and basketball/volleyball courts last Friday. No classes as of yet. Indoor showers are closed, although there are a couple of showers by the pool that are in service. Locker rooms are open, including restrooms. They have extra spray bottles/paper towels dispensers to wipe down equipment, but no one monitoring that. Every other piece of aerobic equipment is bagged or otherwise taped off. Likewise, masks are encouraged, but not required. I went yesterday during lunch and almost had the whole place to myself. Damn am I sore.

This is in Orange County, CA, where the Health Officer just resigned due in large parts to threats because of her office requiring masks in public places where you couldn't maintain 6' separation.
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Covid Pods- No way I would do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too many cops here? What an ignorant statement. Please let me know what other groups you dislike. If you are ever in need of assistance and a cop should arrive, please let him or her know you don’t like cops.

And what do you mean by you “openly dislike?” I’m pretty certain you keep your cowardly mouth shut.

RandMart wrote:
Another thing I forgot mention - which I'm cross-posting from the LR

There are a bunch of guys at our gym that stop just short of wearing MAGA hats, but still parade around in Blue Lives Matter gear, Punisher shirts, and other assorted "patriotic" exclamations that I openly disliked. In fact, I'm considering NOT renewing/cancelling my membership when it does come back with the expressed reason of "Too many cops here"
Quote Reply
Re: Gym re-openings? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:

those seem to be even less healthier than open air, as moisture would linger in the pod and also stick to the plastic walls (unless they use new plastic each time. which would be time/cost prohibitive i would guess)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
bootsie_cat wrote:

those seem to be even less healthier than open air, as moisture would linger in the pod and also stick to the plastic walls (unless they use new plastic each time. which would be time/cost prohibitive i would guess)

To paraphrase The Clash

So get back to work an' sweat some more
The sun will sink an' we'll get out the door
It's no good for man to work OUT in cages
Hits the town, he drinks his wages
You're frettin', you're sweatin'
But did you notice you ain't gettin'?

Quote Reply