Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K
Quote | Reply
Hope she saves a little for that hospital hill.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:

??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope her coach gives her some rest so she can win this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First 5K was the fastest I've ever run..but that bump from Piedmont Hospital to the park is a bitch. Went 17 high/20 low on the 5K splits a few years ago. Good luck to Gwen. There is some solid competition this year. Figure she'll be top 3-5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She needs to grab a glazed donut when she passes by Publix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now I want to go out and watch the pro race. So much for sleeping in on the 4th!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She will win overall female. USA!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, that first 5K is downhill, the second isn't.

When I ran it a while back, I thought, damn! i'm killing it on this first 5k!

For the next 5k, i thought, damn, it's killing me!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
She needs to grab a glazed donut when she passes by Publix.

Too bad the days of the 3 Dollar Cafe and the Beer Mug are gone. They made for some fun pit stops.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Wayne@PolarUSA wrote:

??

There's a nasty hill at the 3 mile point that's called Cardiac Hill because Piedmont hospital is right on the hill. And yes, folks have had heart attacks during the race and died.

This will be my 33rd time.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [dave6768] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave6768 wrote:

There's a nasty hill at the 3 mile point that's called Cardiac Hill because Piedmont hospital is right on the hill. And yes, folks have had heart attacks during the race and died.

This will be my 33rd time.

That's an awesome streak, congrats.
10k all out racing is such an under rated hard event. To me it as tough as the marathon, but a lot of people scoff at that assertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
She will win overall female. USA!!!

I'm a big Gwen fan, but realistically this is highly unlikely, it's a strong field with some women such as Aliphine Tuliamuk and Sara Hall that have recently beaten her, as well as some other contenders such as Molly Seidel and Sarah Pagano. Realistically she's an outside shot for a podium finish, and it would be a great race for her if she made the podium. I will say she's not being shy about choosing races with strong fields even if it's a bit humbling at times. It's less than two weeks since her 7th place at the USATF 10K, I recall she likes to race a lot, it will be interesting to see if she can improve on that performance, which seemed a little subpar for her.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me race results are meaningless in her approach to the marathon prep with her window of time. Just go out there and race, learn from it. People don't know where she is in training block/load for each race, so I think people are getting way too much overblown on the actual finishing result for her this past few races. What's she is trying to do is pretty remarkable, and I guess it's fans being fans with wanting to win and dissect every result...which is fine. I just think it's far more about the act of competing right now than some place finish that is far more important.

But that's just from a coaching prospective, so as I said, fans will be fans and act like fans with reaction to results.

ETA:
And by that I mean, this is an athlete with very low volume training going for an olympic spot + gold medal in a sport that while is her strongest of the 3 from triathlon is going to require large heavy load on the legs (even if she stays on the "low" end of marathon training), she's imo set herself up for a very tight window to do this all in 3 year window. Now of course I think her "i'm going for a gold medal" was all PR fluff, and you bet she thinks she can do it, because she's just that type of athlete. But it's a huge ask what she's trying to attempt. But it keeps her much closer to her family and I think gives her husband some ability to be a regular husband/dad to their kid, so I think going to marathon running for this olympic cycle and take advantage of the big money sponsors she's getting was a no-brainer.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 1, 18 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
She will win overall triathlon female. USA!!!

I fixed it for you. You are welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also the marathon trials are being hosted in Atlanta in 2020 so it will give her a feel for the city. I know for triathlon, I'm more comfortable racing in Chattanooga & Panama City, just because I've been there enough I know where I can go to get food if I need it and how to get around. Atlanta is a bigger city than those two, but everything helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched it live on YouTube. I think Gwen was top 6 or 7...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [nuclearjerm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. No podium. Bruce takes it

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

5th 33:10

Not bad?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't hard to spot the triathlete running with the elites today - she was the only one wearing compression socks.

Last edited by: Iron Dukie: Jul 4, 18 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of photos of the leaders just after making the turn onto 10th street.

Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
bluesmachine wrote:

Not bad?

Depends on if she is mostly focusing on building her volume for the marathon and treating these races as training. If so, then not bad as she's entering some very competitive races. If they are indicative of her current running fitness, she's not yet demonstrating the fitness to make the Tokyo Olympic team. I think most folks would only give Sara Hall an outside chance of making the Olympic team and she's been beating Gwen. If she runs a marathon this fall presumably she'll be tapered and focused on that and it will be a better indicator of her progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

He was pretty fast and not a triathlete. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [EJOTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EJOTT wrote:

He was pretty fast and not a triathlete. ;)

True. But he would have had the perfect build to smash the swim and bike as well.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen running Peachtree 10K [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not bad? //

I would agree, not bad. Only 40 seconds off the winner, and it looks to have been a pretty big pro womens field. She continues to race well, just not great. Like I said before, coach should rest her soon for some big race just to get her mind right. Even though they are all good results, I dont think she looks at them that way. Throw her a bone coach and rest her for something so that she can feel good about all those big miles you are piling on her...
Quote Reply

Prev Next