Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon
Quote | Reply
It sounds like she's planning a fall marathon. New coach is Bobby McGee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4z7A6TuEw
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good decision on Gwen's part. Bowerman wasn't working for her

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really amazed it took this long
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that marathon going to be after a swim and a cycle!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gwen is not good enough to be a successful elite level runner at any distance. She is however an elite triathlon runner. If Gwen is truly interested in winning again triathlon is her sport. Anything else will just be more of the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way too late for her now. She can beat her head on the wall for maybe a couple of more years but at best she is a National Class runner not a headliner ... which by the way is a hell of an achievement changing sports! But her last two races were a DNF at the Oly Trials 10K and a distant 13th at the Peachtree 10K.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Way too late for her now. She can beat her head on the wall for maybe a couple of more years but at best she is a National Class runner not a headliner ... which by the way is a hell of an achievement changing sports! But her last two races were a DNF at the Oly Trials 10K and a distant 13th at the Peachtree 10K.

She must love running a lot more than her old office job - because I can't figure out why at this stage in her career she would keep at it professionally. I get that not everyone cares about income and retirement, but the longer she stays out of the professional workforce, the less chance she has of having a successful career at age 45 say. I guess she really wants to run a fast marathon before she gives it all up.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

She must love running a lot more than her old office job - because I can't figure out why at this stage in her career she would keep at it professionally. I get that not everyone cares about income and retirement, but the longer she stays out of the professional workforce, the less chance she has of having a successful career at age 45 say. I guess she really wants to run a fast marathon before she gives it all up.

Her CPA probably lapsed the first year after she took up full time triathlon, and the accounting career passed her by many years ago. But she still has lots of social media followers and is a shill for an incredible number of products. I'm guessing that she is trying to squeeze that income stream as long as possible. Unfortunately for her, in a couple of weeks she will no longer be the reigning Olympic champion, and there will be an entire new group of female Olympic champs that will be getting all the attention. Her 15 mins is over.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her CPA is still valid just needs to do a few refreshers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Her CPA probably lapsed the first year after she took up full time triathlon, and the accounting career passed her by many years ago. But she still has lots of social media followers and is a shill for an incredible number of products. I'm guessing that she is trying to squeeze that income stream as long as possible. Unfortunately for her, in a couple of weeks she will no longer be the reigning Olympic champion, and there will be an entire new group of female Olympic champs that will be getting all the attention. Her 15 mins is over.

I'm sure she hasn't thought about working in an office for a long time. Not sure why people are expecting her to quit, if she likes running she may as well get paid for it.

I don't think money is too much of an issue for her. As mentioned, I'd say she does alright with social media/sponsorship's (on top of what she has already saved up) & if she ever wants to coach, people will be lining up to get a training plan from an olympic gold medalist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, of course, in true slowtwitch style she said, "i only want comments about where you think we should live," and that is the one piece of "counsel" omitted in this thread.'

which makes me pretty sure that none of the wiseacres with uninformed comments actually watched the video.

she also was quite reserved in her ambitions. i think one really great reason to continue to run is that you... like to run. it's why i do it. i do think she's got really good potential in that body, just, not on typical pro marathoner mileage. she's going to be great at 70 to 90 miles a week, with the occasional - arrgh! - bike and/or run session, to put everything back in its proper place. i think it's much more likely that bobby will read gwen's response to training, and adapt her workouts and mileage, better than has been the case the last 3 or 4 years.

it's really fun figuring out where you're going to live for the next 20 or 30 years, if you have the freedom to move. i'm happy for them, that they're in that location search right now. i wonder why flag didn't get a mention. of the obvious places runners might live, that's the obvious omission.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

She has more value to make as an Olympic medalist. Given her resume there is no reason she should be hurting for cash by any stretch of the imagination so what reason would she really have to go back to accounting?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:

I don't think money is too much of an issue for her. As mentioned, I'd say she does alright with social media/sponsorship's (on top of what she has already saved up) & if she ever wants to coach, people will be lining up to get a training plan from an olympic gold medalist.

I have doubts that people will be lining up in a couple of years for a training plan/coaching/motivation from Jorgensen unless either she becomes a major marathon contender OR starts hanging around triathlons again.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 20, 21 15:12
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Maybe Flag is both too cold (although not far off from BOCO) and too high?

after i wrote what i wrote, i remembered that i think high altitude is not on their list of imperatives. perhaps the opposite in fact. were it me, i'd find a way to be at 5,000' to 7,000', if i was doing what she's doing. i do almost all my running at 6,000' to 7,000' in the spring thru fall, until it gets covered in snow. but i have no problem with altitude.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given what he said about Nandrolone recently, not a moment too soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

That's correct. Probably just milking the social media $$ while trying to pop another kid out.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched her announcement while riding the trainer this afternoon. Not a surprise on either account. But geez y’all give her a freaking break. She obviously loves running and wants to continue to do so as long as she can. She probably also has something to prove to herself because she hasn’t run her best marathon. Her and Patrick probably are not hurting for money and lots of people chose occupations that may pay them less then they could make otherwise but may give them more happiness. She’s not hurting anybody, let her live her life like she wants to.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flag would be a solid spot, good schools and access to outside running most of the time, even in the winter.

For some reason when I watched that video I remembered that Danny Mackey took the Brooks Beasts to Santa Fe, NM this past winter where they trained for what had to be four months. Also has a cool outdoor Opera scene in the Summer.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:

job replaced by automate software on turbo tax, h&r block... people always bug me to go back to software dev and no, I am burned out from climbing the ladder and relearning technologies (which is a PITA when they "invent" a new programming language, anyone can relearn semantics - its the ability to use logic on that which really matters)
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No joke. Tough crowd whenever Gwen comes up. She is living the dream and doing what she enjoys doing. Can’t blame someone for that. She’s not going to up at the very top of the sport, but who cares? She she do what she enjoys doing and chase what she wants to chase even if it means less $$$ and accolades.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

job replaced by automate software on turbo tax, h&r block... people always bug me to go back to software dev and no, I am burned out from climbing the ladder and relearning technologies (which is a PITA when they "invent" a new programming language, anyone can relearn semantics - its the ability to use logic on that which really matters)

Preeeeetty sure EY CPAs aren’t being automated out of existence by turbo tax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

after i wrote what i wrote, i remembered that i think high altitude is not on their list of imperatives. perhaps the opposite in fact. were it me, i'd find a way to be at 5,000' to 7,000', if i was doing what she's doing. i do almost all my running at 6,000' to 7,000' in the spring thru fall, until it gets covered in snow. but i have no problem with altitude.

Boulder is at 5300 feet, Colorado Springs is over 6,000 feet. Even though Bobby McGee is based out of Colorado, being close to the coach may be a good thing but the environment may not suit their family for optimal life balance. The question is she says she left the BTC. BUT did she leave or did they boot her out of it? We may not know ever the real story. She seemed to struggle with the very elite end of the team, even though she is totally what I consider an elite runner. But within every group, there are different levels--she may not be what they sought for that kind of group from here on out.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

She has more value to make as an Olympic medalist. Given her resume there is no reason she should be hurting for cash by any stretch of the imagination so what reason would she really have to go back to accounting?

I admit I have no idea how much coaches and "personalities" make. Decent professionals (lawyers, accountants, etc.) in major markets can make quite a bit and do so over a 20 to 30 year period. I assume she will lose sponsor $ in a few years, and she won't make prize money - can she makes hundreds of thousands a year as a coach? If not, if it were me, I would turn running into a hobby and get back into something long term and more lucrative.

that said, I forget that she is married. If they don't need her income, then I guess it doesn't matter. I am coming at this from the perspective of the sole breadwinner, so I may be skewed in my perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Boulder is at 5300 feet, Colorado Springs is over 6,000 feet. Even though Bobby McGee is based out of Colorado, being close to the coach may be a good thing but the environment may not suit their family for optimal life balance. The question is she says she left the BTC. BUT did she leave or did they boot her out of it? We may not know ever the real story. She seemed to struggle with the very elite end of the team, even though she is totally what I consider an elite runner. But within every group, there are different levels--she may not be what they sought for that kind of group from here on out.

She was in the Springs for awhile training. The problem right now would be finding a house they want and also afford. Maybe they are doing amazing of her sponsorship, but we’re at stupid prices in Colorado and Boulder is one of the cities pushing peak stupid. The springs you could get something for somewhat better pricing. But I’m not sure how 80 percent of the population is affording anything in metro Denver right now. We bought south of Denver 5 1/2 years ago and if we were moving we’d list for close to 2x our purchase price.
Quote Reply

Prev Next