Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24
Quote | Reply
Gwen Jorgensen participated in the 10,000m at the USA Championship today.
She got 7th with a time of 32.24.09.
https://results.usatf.org/2018Outdoors/

Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huddle = boss
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly the meet is only on NBC Gold today.
Will be on the Olympic channel tomorrow.

In the men's 10,000 they just passed 2k in 6.04. Maybe Huddle could win there also ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was a race that was set up perfectly for gwen with huddle ripping 77/78 a lap like clock work. she should have been able to sit in, do no work and kick. huddle kicked like a miler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took everything that she had just to hang. She didn't have a kick at the end.

Maybe triathlon was her best sport?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope we get to hear from her on this race(talbotcox?). It really looks like something was up with her, not her usual type of race where she finishes stronger than the field. And it wasn't the pace either, she ran that winning time months ago..

I just hope she has not fallen into some runners trap, losing weight, running too much, all the things coaches like to fill your head with. She needs to accept that she is an outlier, and being strong is better than being light for her. I felt looking at her that she was pushing up against that weight thing. But it would be nice to hear from her if it was just an off day at the office, maybe kept up all night with a screaming baby...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen the result, but if you would have told me she would come in and run fast times early and then when the volume of marathon training actually catches up to you, "flat line", I would have said of course, that's likely to happen.

I mean at some point going from what I think we can say very conservative mileage to what she thinks is the demands of competition, it's a big difference iwth her. In fact a hard leap to make, and I'm guessing she's probaly 80% of the way there if I had to guess. I dont follow her mileage or social media posts, so I have no clue what her actual weekly volume is. I know she's a devoted person to the sport she is applying to and understands what it takes and is willing to do everything to meet those demands of competition. I saw that in her development and life change post London.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Increasing mileage for the marathon, she isn’t going to be fresh every race. 7th seems decent to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch, but looking at the splits, she was doing well until about 8.4K, then she dramatically fell off pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Molly's last 1600 was 4:38. That's moving at the end of a 10k. I'm actually super impressed with that time from Gwen in a tactical race that was really won from 8.4k to the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [nowhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except that it wasn't tactical. it was follow huddle clicking off 78s and then watching huddle drop the hammer at the end. how could you possibly call it tactical when it was the same nice pace for miles? you are "super impressed" with a 32:24 when she ran a lot faster than than that a few weeks ago and faster than that on the roads in australia in full tri training mode? you sound like the type that isn't impressed by much because that was nothing to be impressed by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I hope we get to hear from her on this race(talbotcox?). It really looks like something was up with her, not her usual type of race where she finishes stronger than the field. And it wasn't the pace either, she ran that winning time months ago..

I just hope she has not fallen into some runners trap, losing weight, running too much, all the things coaches like to fill your head with. She needs to accept that she is an outlier, and being strong is better than being light for her. I felt looking at her that she was pushing up against that weight thing. But it would be nice to hear from her if it was just an off day at the office, maybe kept up all night with a screaming baby...

Could be the case. She was freakishly sninny even during Tri times. I don't know if ehe is too low noe or if it works for her.

But I do know that male winner Lopez Lomong would also qualify as a 400m guy (bodytype wise).

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [nowhere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gwen did 31:55 two and a half months ago when she won the Stanford Invitational, that would have gotten her second yesterday and I don't think anyone would have been disappointed with that performance. So 29 seconds faster then. Seems her first two races were very promising and she's not done as well since then. Maybe an off day, maybe flat from upping her mileage without enough of a taper? Hopefully the higher mileage she's doing now will pay off down the road and not be counterproductive, it sounds like she's being trying to do a pretty fast ramp up to the higher mileage.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus it is only 9 months since she had a baby with a very difficult birth!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without question, Gwen is a superb runner and the hands-down SlowTwitch sentimental favorite on her current quest. I wish her the best. But I am not changing my original prediction since she first announced her plans...she won't even qualify for the Olympic marathon let alone medal. And I will be happy to eat those words if she can prove otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Without question, Gwen is a superb runner and the hands-down SlowTwitch sentimental favorite on her current quest. I wish her the best. But I am not changing my original prediction since she first announced her plans...she won't even qualify for the Olympic marathon let alone medal. And I will be happy to eat those words if she can prove otherwise.

Totally concur.

I'm bewildered why she would give up being Queen of triathlon to be an also ran in running.

Having said that, the women's triathlon races are more exciting without Gwen...although now it has become the Flora show.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The purported rationale for switching to running is that it got her off the ITU circuit at a time she wanted to start a family - and be able to train at home to be near her family. With her current sponsors, that might be a wise decision at least up until the Olympic trials. If that's all she wanted then good for her, but if she thought in her heart of hearts that it would translate to a medal and continuing running lucre then it may prove to be have been a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
monty wrote:

Could be the case. She was freakishly sninny even during Tri times. I don't know if ehe is too low noe or if it works for her.

But I do know that male winner Lopez Lomong would also qualify as a 400m guy (bodytype wise).

Bone thin ..
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjqvQxTA-D0/

Eating low calories and low quality food (in n out) recipe for disaster
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is she eating poor quality foods? I would say the opposite based on their setup.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even though the weather has been mild here in the upper Midwest the last few days; it’s not unusual for people to hit very fast times at those early season meets that they then struggle to get for the rest of the spring/summer especially at a championship. Stephanie Bruce in 2017 ran a similar Stanford invite 10k time31 high and then went to USATFs and ran a 32:45ish.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great comparison. Not. It was over 100 degrees in Sacramento last year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A not joke; that’s fantastic. You don’t often get to interact with someone whose comedy stylings are on par with Borat.

I stand by my assertion; those west coast early season 10ks can be sources of good times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nowhere wrote:
Molly's last 1600 was 4:38. That's moving at the end of a 10k. I'm actually super impressed with that time from Gwen in a tactical race that was really won from 8.4k to the finish.

I agree she's learning to run in a tactical manner where the pace is flipping back and forth waiting for a kicker's race. All a learning process.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen got 7th in the 10,000m at USA Championship 32.24 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The purported rationale for switching to running is that it got her off the ITU circuit at a time she wanted to start a family - and be able to train at home to be near her family. With her current sponsors, that might be a wise decision at least up until the Olympic trials. If that's all she wanted then good for her, but if she thought in her heart of hearts that it would translate to a medal and continuing running lucre then it may prove to be have been a mistake.

She's been in mammoth, which is not her home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere she was doing some 100 mile weeks in Mammoth recently and carrying a lot of fatigue which I'm sure affected this 10k. That is a lot more mileage than she was doing as a triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next