Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction
Quote | Reply
I saw in my friend Strava feed that Gwen Jorgensen was riding in his group. How cool, right! And then I took a look at her ride and it was 41.3 miles @ 22.3 mph pace. In Gwen's Zwift history this ride is definitely an anomaly. But it got me thinking, Gwen left ITU because that world circuit is not conducive for a young family! And if she unfortunately doesn't qualify for the Olympic Marathon, then it would make sense for Gwen to come over to long distance triathlon.

Personally, I'd love to see Gwen in a few years at Kona!! If it comes true, whelp you read it here first Folks!
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Jun 26, 19 19:46
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is interesting whenever there is a Gwen sighting. I love her lots!! I do hope she comes back to S/B/R rather than pursue the R...
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A dreamchaser for sure...

She aint going to long distance tri, if she goes back to tri at all, which she won’t. She’s been very clear about that. She’s riding hard now and swimming with Nike “masters” for aerobic fitness while she recovers from surgery, nothing more

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:

She aint going to long distance tri, if she goes back to tri at all, which she won’t. She’s been very clear about that. She’s riding hard now and swimming with Nike “masters” for aerobic fitness while she recovers from surgery, nothing more

Awe shucks. Was figuring Gwen was our best chance to get an American Kona Champion.... sigh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Awe shucks. Was figuring Gwen was our best chance to get an American Kona Champion.... sigh...

She is still our best chance... even if she won't do it!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
hadukla wrote:

If Katie Z goes long anytime she would be a force much stronger than Gwen would ever be. her swim and bike would have her way infront of a Gwen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
hadukla wrote:

I wouldn't completely right off Sarah True, she still seems to be finding her way at IM distance, if she gets everything dialed in and Ryf has an off day/injury?

As already pointed out Katie Z if she decides to go long has all the tools.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True and Haug were better at short distance than Ryf, so it's not insane to think that they just end up being better than her

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch her interviews.... she doesn’t actually say it, but you can read between the lines..... she hates triathlon. Especially long course triathlon.

We won’t see her in triathlon ever again.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
hadukla wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
hadukla wrote:

If Katie Z goes long anytime she would be a force much stronger than Gwen would ever be. her swim and bike would have her way infront of a Gwen.

I think so as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
True and Haug were better at short distance than Ryf, so it's not insane to think that they just end up being better than her

This is my way of thinking also, you never know when it could fall into place for either one of them or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never ever ever

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Watch her interviews.... she doesn’t actually say it, but you can read between the lines..... she hates triathlon. Especially long course triathlon.

We won’t see her in triathlon ever again.

She basically outright says it. She explicitly says she doesn't like swimming.

The first indication that she was injured was that you started to see her cycling a lot. Most of the Bowerman team are swimming and/or cycling when injured and for cross training.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Jun 27, 19 4:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I just wanted to share, I got to ride with Gwen tonight in the Innsbruck 3-lap Zwift race!! I do this race every week, and as my typical race goes - I stay with the front group until the "leg snapper" climb where my fat 175 lb butt gets dropped. On the descent I pray there are some other stragglers that can form a decent 2nd group. Last week this didn't happen and I had to TT solo until the last 2 miles!! This week though, there was a small group of 3 other cyclists that came together at the bottom of the hill. And then all of a sudden I look in the rear view screen and who's :06 seconds behind -- Gwen!! And she closed the gap quickly to join the group.

We rode together in a small group of 5 for the next climb and 8.5 miles. We all took turns pulling and working together. It was so cool!! But then with 4 miles to go, three other cyclists surged out of nowhere and Gwen and I got caught napping at the back. Heck, it was fun while it lasted!!

And this is why I love Zwift and virtual online technology platforms. How else would a nobody like myself, ever get to ride with a Gold Medal Queen like Gwen.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone please post a link where Gwen J says she hates triathlon. I'd like to see that. She hates the sport that brought her olympic gold??? I'm stunned.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Can someone please post a link where Gwen J says she hates triathlon. I'd like to see that. She hates the sport that brought her olympic gold??? I'm stunned.

I’ve never heard her say anything that she hates “triathlon” as others have suggested. Heck, she still swim, bikes, and runs on a regular basis to this day. However, I have read or heard interviews with her that at this stage in her life she is not a fan of the lifestyle/travel/commitment that it takes to race at the the elite level.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. Best in the world at something but retires to become a hobby jogger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
hadukla wrote:

You guys really think Gwen is our best chance at Kona??? I think at this point Jocelyn McCauley is a far more likely candidate.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's smart enough not to say outright she "hates" anything. That's a terrible thing to say for an "PR" driven athlete. But it's very evident she wanted no part of ITU post Rio.

“The major reason I’m trying to do marathon is because I’ve accomplished what I wanted to accomplish in triathlon,” she said. “If I hadn’t gotten that gold [in Rio], it definitely would have been a failure. I remember going into the Olympics thinking if I get silver or bronze, it’s a failure.”

“My time away from triathlon allowed me to reflect and set new goals,” Jorgensen said. “My biggest passion has always been running out of swim/bike/run, and I also feel this isn’t the first big challenge I’ve had before.”

ETA: Added article quotes are from:https://olympics.nbcsports.com/...on-triathlon-switch/

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 4, 19 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best in the world at something but retires to become a well paid hobby jogger?

Fixed for accuracy.

It was the perfect gap/transition for GJ into post racing career. Get to stay home and be a mom and wife every single day, only travel 4-6 weekends of the year vs traveling the world at min likely 10+ times AROUND THE WORLD in order to race. Besides the fact that she gets to live in the U.S. now and home every single night- that's big for a "mom". Gets to train on someone else's dime, gets to go for an Olympic spot and if it all crumbles, who f'ing cares- she won gold in Triathlon. So do it for this olympic cycle, then transition into whatever life/role she wants. She's set for life. She could easily get good sum of money on speaking tours if she wanted to go that route.

This move was all house money- just 1 more shot at glory and who really cares if it really had no real possibility beyond a "goal" and dream to try and accomplish.

So whether she outright said she "hated" the sport or not- it was pretty obvious why she moved on.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 4, 19 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has said before in interviews these exact words: “I hated swimming,” “I hated getting into the cold pool,” which doesn’t bother me as we all dislike certain aspects of what we do.

What DOES bother me is the line she has said over and over again: “I didn’t pick triathlon, triathlon picked me.” Sound like sour grapes.

Why say something so negative? Md especially the way she says it with such distaste.

I like her, I’ve met her and she did an amazing thing. I could do w much less Stanley her kid in her videos but that is first child syndrome and believing that everyone cares about what your kid are for breakfast.

I just don’t see why she has to say that “... Triathlon picked me,” line.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine being so good at something that it's not even your first choice of activity yet you're still the best in a world of 8 billion people at it.

You don't have the perspective to judge her. Elite humans are operating at a completely different level.

If you don't like it, her comments, or her IG feed, or her pride in her child, go pound sand.

bluesmachine wrote:
She has said before in interviews these exact words: “I hated swimming,” “I hated getting into the cold pool,” which doesn’t bother me as we all dislike certain aspects of what we do.

What DOES bother me is the line she has said over and over again: “I didn’t pick triathlon, triathlon picked me.” Sound like sour grapes.

Why say something so negative? Md especially the way she says it with such distaste.

I like her, I’ve met her and she did an amazing thing. I could do w much less Stanley her kid in her videos but that is first child syndrome and believing that everyone cares about what your kid are for breakfast.

I just don’t see why she has to say that “... Triathlon picked me,” line.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In all fairness, triathlon DID pick her. She was a collegiate swimmer/runner who went on to a regular job at an accounting firm before being recruited by triathlon. By all accounts it was never on her radar, at least not at an elite level.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Coming Back to Triathlon (Long Course!) Prediction [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and so she gives an honest assessment instead of the usual marketing boilerplate and people criticize her comments. People just don't want to hear how easy something is to an elite athlete.

Like Matt Damon's character doing math with the PhDs in Good Will Hunting.... "do you even know how fucking easy this is for me??"

logella wrote:
In all fairness, triathlon DID pick her. She was a collegiate swimmer/runner who went on to a regular job at an accounting firm before being recruited by triathlon. By all accounts it was never on her radar, at least not at an elite level.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think it's sour grapes as much as showcasing exactly why the moment she could leave triathlon she did. This was in all intent purpose an business transaction between USAT and GJ that lasted what 7ish years. She was given lots of money/support along the way in her pursuit of winning a gold medal because then USAT received more money from the USOC. So USAT was invested in her ability to win a gold medal- she's a federation dream. Come off the bike 90s down and still win races? So there's some "truth" in the fact that USAT came at her "hard" to give triathlon a try and then stay in the sport. Of course in the early stages it was more "hey give it a try and see what you think", but she had pedigree very early in her career and there was certainly some "pressure" to get the best results from her.

ETA: But it's actually her own itu career pathway that showcased exactly why she'll never come back to triathlon. She understood exactly what it took to train as a pro athlete (look at how she trained pre London '12) vs train as a world class athlete (steps she took post London '12). It was that "investment" in leaving the US to join an international squad and travel the world and race the world's best that allowed her to truly understand and get the most out of herself. It's why she'll be the 1st to admit, no way in hell she could just train in Portland and meet the demands of competition and win with that setup.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 4, 19 10:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next