Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity
Quote | Reply
In light of the fascination with the person's 50 IMs in 50 days, I ran across an article about an ultra runner who tried to set the record of running across Canada. I think he had to stop, but it seems his intent and cause were sincere. I think he still ran a ton of miles.

I have no connection to this event or the runner. I saw the article in a Canadian mag when I was in Whistler for IM Canada 70.3.

He's trying to raise money for the rare disease foundation or something. Which struck a chord in me because one of my children had a very rare form of cancer (he's all good now). Check it out.

https://outrunrare.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clayhathorn wrote:
In light of the fascination with the person's 50 IMs in 50 days, I ran across an article about an ultra runner who tried to set the record of running across Canada. I think he had to stop, but it seems his intent and cause were sincere. I think he still ran a ton of miles.

I have no connection to this event or the runner. I saw the article in a Canadian mag when I was in Whistler for IM Canada 70.3.

He's trying to raise money for the rare disease foundation or something. Which struck a chord in me because one of my children had a very rare form of cancer (he's all good now). Check it out.

Let me be the first to call BS. Let’s see his garmin data. :)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clayhathorn wrote:

you perhaps know this, but someone did attempt to run across Canada. He actually covered a good 3000+ miles, to raise money for cancer research.

His name is Terry Fox. A friend of mine (fellow forumite KR Bickel) wrote the following about Fox. Note that last line, the money went to research. This is cancer fund-raising done right

Quote:

He stopped running at Thunder Bay having passed, ironically, through Marathon a few days before. He could no longer breathe, his vision was blurred, and the aspirin could no longer dull the pain. At the hospital he was given the bad news; his cancer had returned.

In 1977, my mother had already been diagnosed with a brain tumor, and Terry Fox woke up to find his leg gone. He had a rare type of cancer, osteosarcoma. It had started in his knee and to try to prevent it's spread they took his leg. Even with the surgery his odds were only 50/50 that he would survive long.

He did his rehab. A few years passed. Cancer took my mom. Terry thought about the people he had met at the hospital, others with cancer. He read that research for cancer was underfunded so he did what most 21 year-olds might do in such a situation. On April 12th, 1980, at the most eastern point in Canada, he dipped his artificial leg in the Atlantic Ocean and began running a marathon.

Every day. For the next 143 days and 3,339 miles.

The goal was simple: run across Canada and raise money for cancer research.

There was no high tech robotic limb of today to replace his missing leg. The hinge was replaced with a rust proof one but otherwise it was standard issue, more a “contraption” than anything else. His running style wasn’t elegant, more of a skip and a hop. When critics said it wasn’t really running his answer was simply “this is the best I can do”. There was no fancy entourage, just a van driven by a high school friend, and a vehicle for the cancer society volunteer with a cardboard sign that said “donations accepted here”. He wore a cheesy 80’s T-Shirt with cheap iron-on letters:

“Marathon of Hope”

He ran through snow, wind, and rain. Eastern Canada in April isn’t a tropical paradise. Cars would run him off the road. His stump would bleed. Response was light. He wanted to raise a dollar from everybody in Canada for cancer research. Weeks in he had barely raised a dollar from everyone in Moose Crossing, Yukon.

Fate is funny. A year after Terry’s leg was removed a man named Isadore Sharp lost his son to melanoma. Isadore Sharp owned the Four Seasons hotel chain. He heard about Terry and spread the word and made sure Terry at least no longer slept in the van.

Watching Terry run 26 miles every day on one good leg resonated. Soon crowds were coming out to greet him. Coffee shops in small towns would empty to cheer him as he came through. Small kids would run alongside and hand him coins from their piggy banks. People would stuff bills into the plastic donation bag. But better still businesses would drop checks, sometimes quite large into the pile of change and bills.

He started getting requests. “Can you run through here and give a talk? We think we can raise some money”. So he made a detour. And kept making detours. He ran through his 22nd birthday. Then he took a day off. It was to swim with a 10 year old, one legged kid who also suffered from osteosarcoma. When talking about the swim the guy who had run 26 miles every day for months on one leg and a few aspirins, who had osteosarcoma himself, broke down and cried.

26 miles, every day. Running a marathon every day is hard. He was human. He could get angry. He could get grumpy. He sure wasn’t Superman. It took him over ten minutes to run each of those miles. When he came down with tendonitis and had to be flown to a hospital he missed two more days, but only because his friend fibbed and told him the flight back was cancelled because of weather. His friend, Doug Alward who drove behind him every day for 143 days, said this was the only time he ever lied to Terry.

Terry kept running. By now most of Canada was watching. People would have maps in their homes and every day would mark where he ran. They didn’t care that he wasn’t Superman. He was a darn tough kid. Companies wanted him to endorse their products. He refused. All money was to go to the Cancer Society. A company donated T-shirts that looked a little more professional. They still read “Marathon of Hope” but the iron-on message was now silk screened.

The crowds got bigger. Pass the hat, thank the folks for coming. Meet Bobby Orr. Visit with the Prime Minister. Open the CFL season. Then run some more.

Then he stopped because he couldn’t run anymore.

Less than a year later he was gone. While he was in the hospital getting chemo he realized he had no money to buy his mom a Christmas present. His brother gave him a few dollars and Terry bought her a wastepaper basket. It was a nice basket.

His Dad said he thought it was Terry’s honesty that brought people out. When he told his Mom about his plan she asked why he didn’t just run across British Columbia.

“Because it’s not just people in BC that get cancer”.

A bit after his funeral the CBC did a Terry Fox telethon. They raised $10 million. Added to the other donations the total came in at $23 million, nearly a dollar from every Canadian. Today that figure is $600 million, about $20 from every Canuck. It’s all gone to research, like Terry wanted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is my massage therapist, also one of the top ultra runners in Canada. Holds Canadian records for 24 hour and 72 hour races.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This because he was just a guy trying to make a difference not a for Likes or Followers. Also, in my mind a way underappreciated endurance feet because the artificial limb was terrible by today's standards and 2 he quit when the cancer came back and couldn't run anymore - which really means he was likely running with cancer either from the start or most of the way.

Article sums up why he is considered one of the greatest Canucks of all time.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me be the first to call BS. Let’s see his garmin data. :)

Not only that but how can you run across Canada without putting motivational quotes on Instagram. He's just not believable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terry Fox A true MAN
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [dashelj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, wow, fascinating that you know him. Tell him that I was moved by his effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That story on Terry Fox was amazing. I had heard if him — even did a race in the states years ago with his name on it I think — but I didn’t know all those details. Thanks for sharing.

I get inspired by these amazing people in the world. You Canadians rock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave is an animal, the target was to do it in 66 days. He has done and won a heap of ultra around here.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Aug 31, 18 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to work the day he ran through the town I live in in Alberta, so missed him then, but some of my running buddies ran with him. Then, I was in Eastern Manitoba on vacation at the end of July and hoped to run a bit with him then. I was very disappointed to find out he had to stop the day before he “should” have come past my location. It was for medical reasons that he was advised to stop.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [Habs4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should just say he did. Evidently that’s good enough if it’s for the kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yikes wrote:

Yes. Terry Fox was the 1st hero I had when I was a kid growing up in Hamilton Ontario. I remember EXACTLY where I was when I found out he died.
Watch this newly released video:

http://www.terryfox.org/...owers_PreRun_30E.mp4
“Terry Fox
0 likes
0 posts”

FWIW, Dave Proctor shares this video on his Facebook wall a couple days ago. He seems to be legit. Unfortunately, he had medical issues about 30 days into the run but still continued the tour and stopped to visit with people along the way raising money for rare diseases.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asker wrote:
yikes wrote:

Yes. Terry Fox was the 1st hero I had when I was a kid growing up in Hamilton Ontario. I remember EXACTLY where I was when I found out he died.
Watch this newly released video:

http://www.terryfox.org/...owers_PreRun_30E.mp4
“Terry Fox
0 likes
0 posts”

FWIW, Dave Proctor shares this video on his Facebook wall a couple days ago. He seems to be legit. Unfortunately, he had medical issues about 30 days into the run but still continued the tour and stopped to visit with people along the way raising money for rare diseases.

the term "hero" gets over-applied, especially when it comes to sportspeople. Fox, then, is one of the few who was a true hero; not for some effort in the arena, but for humanitarian efforts away from it

My friend summed it up better than i can: it's one of those occasions that give me hope in the better angels of human nature. Not just the effort of Fox, but also that his fellow Canadians of all walks of life responding to the clarion call.

I was literally sobbing the first time I read that article (a bit more than a year ago), and had to fight my tears when I re-read it before posting. One doesn't hear stories like this very often, where one single person's effort has brought much good to society. Particularly resonated with me, as my mom passed away at a relatively young age from cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... had to fight my tears ...[/quote]
Ditto.

Lost that fight.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, hero is oftentimes over used.
But, Terry Fox inspired an entire country. Or a generation of people within my country.
And. 22 years old.
22 years old!!!
Wow! Only 22 years old!

His limp is forever engrained in my brain.

(I was maybe 7 or 8 years old during the marathon of hope.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ESPN’s 30 for 30 did an excellent episode on Terry Fox several years ago. It’s called Into the Wind. It’s well worth finding on-line to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article. Do you have a link to the original?
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Great article. Do you have a link to the original?
that is the original

my friend is a writer (and my coach). his slowtwitch page here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote that piece, unedited, during a period of extreme Lance fatigue. It was a story and research I had filed away as a "someday maybe" project. It still affects me to read it. Caught up in all the noise it's a reminder that there is beauty in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [KR Bickel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I were both very moved by your piece. Thank you.

I assumed it was published somewhere, and wanted to link the original publication for family and friends (who might not frequent ST).
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

I am touched that it resonates folks, it's a story that too few people outside of Canada know.

It was a draft that I posted on a couple of forums. Consider it open source, and feel free to repost or link to or whatever.

I touched it up a bit:

He stopped running at Thunder Bay having passed, ironically, through Marathon a few days before. He could no longer breathe, his vision was blurred, and the aspirin could no longer dull the pain. At the hospital he was given the bad news; his cancer had returned.

In 1977, my mother had already been diagnosed with a brain tumor, and Terry Fox woke up to find his leg gone. He had a rare type of cancer, osteosarcoma. It had started in his knee and to try to prevent it's spread they took his leg. Even with the surgery his odds were only 50/50 that he would survive for very long.

He did his rehab. A few years passed. Cancer took my mom. Terry thought about the people he had met at the hospital, others with cancer. He read that research for cancer was underfunded so the 21 year old figured he could help. On April 12th, 1980, at the most eastern point in Canada, he dipped his artificial leg in the Atlantic Ocean and began running a marathon.

Every day. For the next 143 days.

The goal was simple: run across Canada and raise money for cancer research.

There was no high tech robotic limb of today to replace his missing leg. The hinge was replaced with a rust proof one but otherwise it was standard issue, more a “contraption” than anything else. His running style wasn’t elegant, more of a skip and a hop. When critics said it wasn’t really running his answer was simply “this is the best I can do”. There was no fancy entourage, just a van driven by a high school friend, and a vehicle for the cancer society volunteer with a cardboard sign that said “donations accepted here”. He wore a cheesy 80’s T-Shirt with cheap iron-on letters:

“Marathon of Hope”

He ran through snow, wind, and rain. Eastern Canada in April isn’t a tropical paradise. Cars would run him off the road. His stump would bleed. Response was light. He wanted to raise a dollar from everybody in Canada for cancer research. Weeks in he had barely raised a dollar from everyone in Moose Crossing, Yukon.

Fate is funny. A year after Terry’s leg was removed a man named Isadore Sharp lost his son to melanoma. Isadore Sharp owned the Four Seasons hotel chain. He heard about Terry and spread the word and made sure Terry at least no longer slept in the van.

Word began to spread. There was no social media in 1980, but around the water cooler or at the breakfast place people began to talk. "Did you see this?"

Soon crowds were coming out to greet him. Coffee shops in small towns would empty to cheer him as he came through. Small kids would run alongside and hand him coins from their piggy banks. People would stuff bills into the plastic donation bag. But better still businesses would drop checks, sometimes quite large into the pile of change and bills.

He started getting requests. “Can you run through here and give a talk? We think we can raise some money”. So he made a detour. And kept making detours. He ran through his 22nd birthday. Then he took a day off. It was to swim with a 10 year old, one legged kid who also suffered from osteosarcoma. When talking about the swim the guy who had run 26 miles every day for months on one leg and a few aspirins, who had osteosarcoma himself, broke down and cried.

26 miles, every day. Running a marathon every day is hard. He was human. He could get angry. He could get grumpy. He sure wasn’t Superman. It took him over ten minutes to run each of those miles. When he came down with tendonitis and had to be flown to a hospital he missed two more days, but only because his friend fibbed and told him the flight back was cancelled because of weather. His friend, Doug Alward who drove behind him every day for 143 days, said this was the only time he ever lied to Terry.
Terry kept running. By now most of Canada was watching. People would have maps in their homes and every day would mark where he ran. They didn’t care that he wasn’t Superman. He was a darn tough kid.

Corporations wanted him to endorse their products. He refused. All money was to go to the Cancer Society. A company donated T-shirts that looked a little more professional. They still read “Marathon of Hope” but the iron-on message was now silk screened.

The crowds got bigger. Pass the hat, thank the folks for coming. Meet Bobby Orr. Visit with the Prime Minister. Open the CFL season. Then run some more.

3,339 miles later he stopped, because he simply couldn’t run anymore. Cancer doesn’t care if you’re a friend, a parent, or an inspiration.

Less than a year later he was gone. While he was in the hospital getting chemo he realized he had no money to buy his mom a Christmas present. His brother gave him a few dollars and Terry bought her a wastepaper basket. It was a nice basket.
His Dad said he thought it was Terry’s honesty that brought people out. When he told his Mom about his plan she asked why he didn’t just run across British Columbia.

“Because it’s not just people in BC that get cancer”.

A bit after his funeral the CBC did a Terry Fox telethon. They raised $10 million. Added to the other donations the total came in at $23 million, nearly a dollar from every Canadian. Today that figure is $600 million, about $20 from every Canuck. It’s all gone to research, like Terry wanted.

Kurt R. Bickel
Reno, NV

3 Nats titles, 1 Nat record, 17 State champs. 4 wind tunnels. 100's of hours of testing. Still figuring this stuff out.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [KR Bickel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - Terry Fox was hero & his legacy lives on in Canada and around the world today with his Foundation, The Terry Fox Run, and more recently the Terry Fox 360 - yep a 360 K (or sometimes more) one day bike.

To get back to the original post, however, how many Canadians remember the one-legged athlete who actually did complete the entire coast to coast run - Steve Fonyo. Although his life has been a rough one, with brushes with the law and the like, let's not forget the fellow who did seal the deal.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave is on day 65 of a projected 67 days in his second attempt at a run across canada. 65 days of about 105km a day!
Quote Reply
Re: Guy (tried) to run across Canada for charity [dashelj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, cool, I wish him the best. Very admirable and amazing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next