Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Guiden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice day at the office Gustav! Congrats!!
Even with your 3:29 in Bahrain you still flew under the radar...
Was this your A race for the year?
Did your pre-race plan and numbers have you finishing in 3:52?
Your run (after climbing the Col de Vence) was only 1mn off your Bahrain run time. Did you do a lot of hard hill followed by run work in training?
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can answer these for you

Scotthb wrote:
Nice day at the office Gustav! Congrats!!
Even with your 3:29 in Bahrain you still flew under the radar...
Was this your A race for the year?

No it was all about ITU worlds

Did your pre-race plan and numbers have you finishing in 3:52?

No I suspect you didn't try to guess what time he would finished in. Too many variables.

Your run (after climbing the Col de Vence) was only 1mn off your Bahrain run time. Did you do a lot of hard hill followed by run work in training?

Yes because ITU Lausanne is hilly
Last edited by: newManUK: Sep 9, 19 23:53
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Rachela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rachela wrote:
Alright. So to summarize regarding his 70.3 WC win. This guy:
- Decided to use a road bike because his tri bike was not up to the task (highend road bike from sponsors vs lowend TT bike of his own).
- forgot his nutrition and had to make use of aid stations only.
- dropped his chain and had to stop on the course (@51:40 of the official stream)
- the day before the race he posted a story on his Instagram whether anyone could lend him an aero helmet because his was damaged. Apparently thats why he used the ekoi helmet yesterday.
Is that it or did I forget something?

That's a great story. I wasn't aware of all of these details. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He drops his chain in every race (photo 9 on his instagram)!
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Never said it was "everyone's" opinion. The media did not even tag him as a favorite or in the realm of a performance like this. There are more who were shocked than not at this win. Dan, how about a poll to the right on this?

Anyone who didn't have Gustav for a podium spot - and actually got surprised when he won - should keep that in mind whenever they wish to offer their "insights" in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:

I would that would be a real problem in ITU racing??? He's a real candidate for a one chain ring set-up. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Scotthb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I hope he shows up again for the Q&A, does everybody realize this is a 16 month old thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
While I hope he shows up again for the Q&A, does everybody realize this is a 16 month old thread?

you are aware he replied in august this year to questions ?

at the same time it would make sense if it was questions that are asked rather than a discusion , you would think he is now very busy with sponosship requests.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Congratulations on the victory. Tearing up against guys with a lot of long course experience.

You did something that many experienced triathletes don't do and maybe fear to do. Racing with what you have vs. what you don't You used to have an old Felt B-14 Tri bike but didn't bring that with you. I noticed Kristian had his Shiv for this race, but you chose to keep with the Venge due to lack of sponsorship. But one of the things you also mentioned with GTN was adaptation to geometry. Do you think that affected the other athletes that switched to tri bikes for this race post Lusanne?

First off, thanks to everyone following the world champs! It's really cool to see the engagement and interest here (especially on the who's gonna take third thread haha). I'm very active on this forum, even though I very rarely post, so I have seen all the pre race predictions ;)

Yes, I have a Felt TT, the old DA4. I think 2011 model. I really do love that bike, and honesty the setup I had in Bahrain last year holds up well with the top bikes of today on that type of course. But the World Champs on Sunday had very different demands, so different bike and different tactics needed. Also the Felt has the worst brakes I have ever used. My Venge was sat up pretty standard as how i use it in ITU races, but with some changes. I had the longer aerobars, I borrowed Zipp 404 from a friend because my rovals have seen it's better days. Used them for all my training and racing for soon 2 years now. Was thinking about moving my saddle even further to the front, but decided not to because of what you mention, the adaptation to geometry. Kristian has not complained about getting used to the new TT bike of his, but when you are gonna perform on this level you want every movement to be 100% automated. And especially in the very demanding downhill. I would NEVER go as fast down on another bike the my own. That would be crazy. If I had the time to prepare and had this as my A race i would have gone with a TT bike for this course.

Norwegian National Team Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If I had the time to prepare and had this as my A race

Wins 70.3 Worlds, says it’s not even his A race!

Congrats man - as a Brit I admit I was rooting for Brownlee all the way but huge respect for your race, especially the confidence to run away from Ali and expect it to stick.
Last edited by: MP1664: Sep 9, 19 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers Gustav. Not bad for a "B" race haha. Thank you again for the thoughtful response.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 9, 19 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Congratulations on the victory. Tearing up against guys with a lot of long course experience.

You did something that many experienced triathletes don't do and maybe fear to do. Racing with what you have vs. what you don't You used to have an old Felt B-14 Tri bike but didn't bring that with you. I noticed Kristian had his Shiv for this race, but you chose to keep with the Venge due to lack of sponsorship. But one of the things you also mentioned with GTN was adaptation to geometry. Do you think that affected the other athletes that switched to tri bikes for this race post Lusanne?

First off, thanks to everyone following the world champs! It's really cool to see the engagement and interest here (especially on the who's gonna take third thread haha). I'm very active on this forum, even though I very rarely post, so I have seen all the pre race predictions ;)

Yes, I have a Felt TT, the old DA4. I think 2011 model. I really do love that bike, and honesty the setup I had in Bahrain last year holds up well with the top bikes of today on that type of course. But the World Champs on Sunday had very different demands, so different bike and different tactics needed. Also the Felt has the worst brakes I have ever used. My Venge was sat up pretty standard as how i use it in ITU races, but with some changes. I had the longer aerobars, I borrowed Zipp 404 from a friend because my rovals have seen it's better days. Used them for all my training and racing for soon 2 years now. Was thinking about moving my saddle even further to the front, but decided not to because of what you mention, the adaptation to geometry. Kristian has not complained about getting used to the new TT bike of his, but when you are gonna perform on this level you want every movement to be 100% automated. And especially in the very demanding downhill. I would NEVER go as fast down on another bike the my own. That would be crazy. If I had the time to prepare and had this as my A race i would have gone with a TT bike for this course.

You are my new hero! Hope to meet you in a race around the world 🔝
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Takk Gustav

Thank you for being part of such an entertaining race for all of the spectators!
I have never seen anyone run at such a high pace while making it look so easy.
1) Your leg speed looked quite high, what cadence do you run?
2) How much of your training is dedicated to core strength and balance?
3) Blummenfelt mentioned in his interview with Bob Babbitt the possibility of doing Kona next year, after Tokyo. Now that you have qualified, is that a possibility? You could pick up a “training” IM this fall while you still have high fitness (so Blummenfelt can also qualify?)

Even though I am an American, I will be pulling for the three of you to make your dream of a team podium in Tokyo!

1. Cadence was higher than usual here. I think in the high 180s. It's hard to focus on power when the fatigue is setting in, tried to compensate with a higher turnover. Was working really well. Held a super consistent pacing almost the whole way.

2. 2 sessions a week is dedicated. 1 hour each. But still some smaller warm up sessions before swims wich include balance.

3. The ultimate triathlon double is winning the Olympics and Kona in the same year. I don't think it is possible for me... Yet ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:

I wish I could stretch chains like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
The ultimate triathlon double is winning the Olympics and Kona in the same year. I don't think it is possible for me... Yet ;)

You sure :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Favorite thing to do outside of triathlon?

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massive congrats Gustav. Brilliantly executed race from start to finish! Will you be defending your title in 2020 in Taupo, New Zealand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on this well-fought win. I was glued to the video feed and could not stop watching. You got stronger as the run progressed and it was epic to see you smash this course. You clearly did more than ok with what you had so I think we can chalk that up to your prep - hopefully you get a nice sponsorship boost from your win as well.

Well done, sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hei Gustav

Congratulation with the win. You gave us a clinic in 70,3 racing.

However, you have to tell us about your running cap. That cap now has videos on Youtube and more http://focustaiwan.tw/...oc/201909090006.aspx

What is the story??

PS: Ivar and I tried our best. But since a 3.30 race i meh.., what can you do :-)
Last edited by: Halvard: Sep 10, 19 0:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really hoping that your win can somehow help keep a 70.3 event in Norway. I did the full Ironman in Haugesund in June, and really loved it. I'm not sure what you can do to sway anyone, but I'd love to go back to Norway in a few years to do another race (Norseman isn't in my future with a family and young kids).

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No questions here, just congrats. I saw you out on the promenade on Friday AM while I was out doing an easy shakeout run. You were on your bike with a camera strapped to your back riding along side your teammates who were running. You guys were hanging on my shoulder for a while and while you didn't say anything to me it was nice to have a couple of minutes of company. (Admittedly I had no idea who you were, but I saw your bike with the stubby aerobar and the ITU number from Worlds the weekend before, so I decided to look you up after my run to see who it was riding along side me)

Anyway just wanted to post to say congrats again...
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this! I was registered for the 70.3 a few years back and could not make it due to work changes, but would love to get there one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the great win in a very stacked field!

You mentioned you forgot your gels. How did you get everything from the course you needed? Because you obviously got enough calories to perform at a really high level of performance.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

You mentioned you forgot your gels. How did you get everything from the course you needed? Because you obviously got enough calories to perform at a really high level of performance.

I think I was very lucky that the two first aid stations where in the uphill and slow speeds. Because in addition to forgetting the gels, my bottle cage also snapped and where unable to hold bottles over any sort of potholes. So I had to rely solely on the aid stations. First one grabbed two bottles. But the second one was more impressive. I managed to grap 2 bottles, 1 gel and 1 bar all from one station without slowing down. Pretty proud of that haha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
Timtek wrote:

I think I was very lucky that the two first aid stations where in the uphill and slow speeds. Because in addition to forgetting the gels, my bottle cage also snapped and where unable to hold bottles over any sort of potholes. So I had to rely solely on the aid stations. First one grabbed two bottles. But the second one was more impressive. I managed to grap 2 bottles, 1 gel and 1 bar all from one station without slowing down. Pretty proud of that haha.

Chapeau. ;) It is the small things in life that give us so much joy. Mega race mate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next