Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [ArildT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arild
Thanks a lot for being willing to share your training philosophy down to lactate level.

One question:
It looks like you are doing a lot of long intervals, especially during brick intervals.
With all the volume, are you using long intervals to make sure the overall load will not be too much?
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Thanks for the insight!

On a slightly different subject - do you think you guys do more volume on the bike than others? The reason I ask is that because it seems most of your guys have their strenght on the bike (save for Gundersen who seems to be the Norwegian Varga!). Do you think this is a reflection of the athletes natural abilities, or the way you train

As a side-note. It remains a puzzle to me why long distance racing for some reason seems to get alot more attention than ITU (atleast from the "Grown-up" audience). To me this was perhaps the best part of Gustav I beating everyone in Haugesund two years back - it speaks volume of the level the ITU-team holds!

I'm not sure how much cycling volume the others do. We do what we think we need to do. And we pay as as much attention to cycling as we do to other diciplines. We Train to be as good as possible in every dicipline. How much we do vary very much om what time of the year. But I will say normally 5-6 times a week and up to 15h a week.
Our strength is a reflection on how we Train I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:

just wanted to say great job, I very briefly cycled with those 3 podium winners in fuerteventura and they spoke very highly of you when i asked them why norway is doing so well.
the other thing that really impressed me was how down to earth and funny they were.

the one question i have, i cant even remember how old gustav was when he won haugsund a couple of years ago but i'd be interested what you think he learned from that experience ? ( i have no idea , but he is probably the youngest 70.3 winner ever)

Gustav had just turned 20 when he won IM Haugesund. He can and will ofcourse tell you what he learned from that. But as I see it he got a lot of confidence and belive in himself. I think he needed that race to convince himself that he could be best in the world if he wanted to.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. Great answer. Thank you both.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Guiden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Gustav congrats on the Bermuda race. I'm sure you're hungry for more success in WTS now! I first noticed you last year doing a hell of a job leading chase packs and now Casper also has popped into the fold. Congratulations to the coaches you all are working with.

That leads me to my questions.
1. Being an elite athlete, I'm curious how much of your time is spent doing training alone versus the amount of time you're training with coaches and other athletes. You mentioned lactate tests and support cars during the Sierra training but what about a typical day?
2. Are you given your training plan many weeks in advance or are you constantly being monitored and changes are being made on the fly depending on how things go?
3. Lastly, I've noticed over the years that very often Norwegians (Cross country skiers) typically have some of the highest records VO2Max results on the planet. Is there something in Norwegian mindset that allows athletes of your nation to reach these heights in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to interact with us here on ST. I know I'll continue to watch you closely as this season unfolds!!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both english and norwegian working pretty ok (i´m a swede)

Seems like you have a team making great progress!
Congrats again. Gonna be interesting to follow
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Hi Gustav, don't really have a question but just wanted to say congrats on two great WTS races to start your 2018 season!

Can you take Adrien (Briffod) with you on a breakaway in Yoko :-)

Thanks! but I think maybe the course in Yoko is too hard to breake away in. Or in other words, you can allways get away, but at what cost on the rund? But we will se tommorow how things will go down.

Norwegian National Team Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Congrats on the ITU podium!! Fantastic result for you and your country.

OK, here's a softball question for you: I'm racing Ironman Haugesund this summer. What traditional Norwegian meal should I eat (maybe afterwards) to have truly experienced classic Norwegian food?

The most eaten meal in Norway is the Grandiosa Pizza, so I will say go for that one ;) Frozen pizza is always a classic...

Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Hey Gustav congrats on the Bermuda race. I'm sure you're hungry for more success in WTS now! I first noticed you last year doing a hell of a job leading chase packs and now Casper also has popped into the fold. Congratulations to the coaches you all are working with.

That leads me to my questions.
1. Being an elite athlete, I'm curious how much of your time is spent doing training alone versus the amount of time you're training with coaches and other athletes. You mentioned lactate tests and support cars during the Sierra training but what about a typical day?
2. Are you given your training plan many weeks in advance or are you constantly being monitored and changes are being made on the fly depending on how things go?
3. Lastly, I've noticed over the years that very often Norwegians (Cross country skiers) typically have some of the highest records VO2Max results on the planet. Is there something in Norwegian mindset that allows athletes of your nation to reach these heights in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to interact with us here on ST. I know I'll continue to watch you closely as this season unfolds!!

Thanks! I have been pulling quite the amount of chase packs yes...

1. At home nearly all me easy run and bike are alone. The swimming is always in the group "Bergensbanden" as we call ourself. Some of the hard stuff is also with the group, but in the wintertime, its easier to just do it alone indoor, so then its not with the group.

But part of our success is at the camps. Here all training is togheter. Not the whole group every training, but atleast a couple of us together. We get great sessions out of that, and the competiton is not to "win" the training, in that sens as get the best times, but to "win" it to get the most out of every training. And yes you can "win" an easy bikeride. By having focused on the things you should i.e aerodynamics, pedal smoothness and cornering. That is things we do even on the most relaxed workouts.

2.I am not given a spesific trainingplan a long time ahead, but all of my coaches have talked together and always knows whats up. But it is up to us to tell them it is the right thing to do or if I should do less. We have a midset to plan for a lot of training, and IF you could do it all it is very good. But most of us adjust down the amount. I would not say the changes are "made on the fly". We have a summery every night after dinner at camps where we sum up the training. And here is where we make the choises of how much the body can handle in the coming days of training, and what training would make you an olympic champion.

3. I don't know all to well the training of the skiiers, so i cant say why they get high VO2 numbers, but in cross country you are using both the upper body and lower, so the activation of muscles is very great, therefore also the consumption of oxsygen is very high. I can think that is part of the reason. Also I would say it is a learning thing. How the breath to get the most out of these tests.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

the one question i have, i cant even remember how old gustav was when he won haugsund a couple of years ago but i'd be interested what you think he learned from that experience ? ( i have no idea , but he is probably the youngest 70.3 winner ever)[/quote]
The most valuble thing i learned from that race was how hard I can push myself. It is the worst experience I have ever had, and still, some hours later the body was not THAT bad. After half the run was done i got about 1:50 down to 2nd place. After 17k (hard to remember) he was just 100m behind. I think that i would not have won, if it had not been for I truly belived it was no way i could lose this after 7k of the run. I had to dig soo deep the last k's to keep him behind that you wont belive it. And that for me was something I really appreciated to learn. The reason for being so tired way earlier than expected was partly due to the nutrion. I was puking during the bike. I could not keep my energy down in the start, but luckly i had extra enery in my pockets, so when the body felt better i tried to get as much in as possible. The other reason for the sudden lack of power on the run was pacing. I am way to used to the ITU style of racing, just blazing out, and that hurt in the end. but who know, maybe that was the reason for the victory?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Congrats on the ITU podium!! Fantastic result for you and your country.

OK, here's a softball question for you: I'm racing Ironman Haugesund this summer. What traditional Norwegian meal should I eat (maybe afterwards) to have truly experienced classic Norwegian food?

The most eaten meal in Norway is the Grandiosa Pizza, so I will say go for that one ;) Frozen pizza is always a classic...

Ha...I can always do pizza for a pre-IM meal!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding and good luck in Yokohama this weekend if you're racing !! This makes me feel better when I cut down my sessions after biting off more than I can chew!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Arild and Gustav, what do you all make of the recent Fancy Bears leak claiming that Sweden and Norway have state-sponsored doping?

Thank you for your time and transparency.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: May 15, 18 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonder why not many pro’s post here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened in Yokohama?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
I see a lot of people in the forums here don't know a lot about me and my team mates, Casper Stornes in particular. Here you can ask my anything, from training to the race in Bermuda and i can see what I have the time to answer.

is this guy who just won IM Talinn your brother ?
Last edited by: pk: Aug 6, 19 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad to have you here and willing to take time to answer questions

what sunscreen do you use that lasts through the long training and racing days ?

thanks

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
I see a lot of people in the forums here don't know a lot about me and my team mates, Casper Stornes in particular. Here you can ask my anything, from training to the race in Bermuda and i can see what I have the time to answer.

Hey Gustav - what format of triathlon do you prefer? And what is the hardest workout you've had in the lead up to the test event?

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:

is this guy who just won IM Talinn your brother ?

Yes! He is my big brother. An athelte turned coach. Impressive time for a guy who says he doesn't train (which all of us who is following him on strava know is a lie).

Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:

Hey Gustav - what format of triathlon do you prefer? And what is the hardest workout you've had in the lead up to the test event?

So far I have only tested sprint and olympic drafting, and 70.3 non-draft. I would say olympic is the most fun. There it' non-stop racing for almost two hours, but with 70.3 the racing doesn't really start until late in the running. But I for sure se the appeal for guys targeting a fast time and PB on the longer distances. Would be fun trying out 140.6 and Super League in the future.

The hardest sessions is always the first sessions in the heat chamber before you get acclimatized.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Well done

How hard was it to race 1 week after a grand final.

keep that t shirt from Thailand, I would suggest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope a bike company will reach out and get you on a proper TT bike now! Well executed race in Nice!!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incredible performance amongst stellar field.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden here. Ask me anything [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd forgot he'd done this thread, fair play! Congrats on the win Gustav that performance surprised everyone, do you think you're more suited to 70.3 than shorter distance given you've just smoked probably the most stacked 70.3 field in history or did the course suit you more?

How can you transfer this performance to Tokyo? Is winning Kona a goal and if so when do you see yourself jumping up to do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on your win today.

do you know what your hat says in Chinese?

you have made many Taiwanese proud by wearing that hat.

it says the name of a temple in Changhua county, Taiwan
Quote Reply

Prev Next