Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi
Quote | Reply
I saw these photos yesterday on ProTriNews:

I still don't understand why the Norwegian federation made the protest, and secondly how WA deemed them OK for usage if they aren't available to the public yet, and according to the rules they have to be available at least 1 month prior.

I read the WA shoe rules and you can use "development shoes" but you need prior authorization from WA, and have to submit several forms, and in one of those forms you tell WA where you plan on racing with those shoes...

It's this just a matter of WTS bringing in the rules but not the processes?
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Mar 17, 23 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:

I still don't understand why the Norwegian federation made the protest,

Both Gustav and Blu will be wearing these shoes this season so I guess they wanted to fully and publicly establish their legality at the outset
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

I still don't understand why the Norwegian federation made the protest,

Both Gustav and Blu will be wearing these shoes this season so I guess they wanted to fully and publicly establish their legality at the outset

But that's the point of my question: There is a process in place from World Athletics to get authorization to use a development shoe, in the rule book it is established in appendix 1 and appendix 2. If you follow that process there is no need to protest your own athlete using these shoes.

Unless you tell me this is purely a publicity stunt to get some promotion for the shoes, in that case although it's absurd to do it this way, but I've seen some weird things.

Rules
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a faster way of achieving the same objective.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
This might be a faster way of achieving the same objective.

Based on the rule book it doesn’t seem to be the case, they would be in violation of the rule by competing in the shoes without prior authorization.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look short, so I don't understand. Also, look nothing like an On shoe either.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they aren't in trouble and this route did not take 30 days so I guess they know more than we do.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Well they aren't in trouble and this route did not take 30 days so I guess they know more than we do.

Yup, that seems to be the case. I wish WA and WTS would be more transparent on how this process and decision was made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gustav had a really bad race, 5th from last, I can't be bothered to check I'm sure he would have had one of the slowest run splits of the day, maybe these aren't so good for sprint distances races!

Certainly not a good publicity stunt as someone suggested above!
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Gustav had a really bad race, 5th from last, I can't be bothered to check I'm sure he would have had one of the slowest run splits of the day, maybe these aren't so good for sprint distances races!

He should stick with Ironman. He can be dominant there. Unless he podiums in the next few WTCS races, I think he should shift his focus to IM. It doesn't seem to be working for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Yup, that seems to be the case. I wish WA and WTS would be more transparent on how this process and decision was made.

that's one guess. they want to race in these shoes this season, and not deal with the nonsense Gustav got after kona. they filed a request to get the shoes cleared through the 'normal' process, but it was taking ages and going nowhere. so instead they file a 'protest' and get a much quicker answer.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

Both Gustav and Blu had been really ill in the couple of weeks prior to Abu Dhabi , and indeed Kristian had to pull out in the end.

Gustav was running side by side with Alex Yee at WCTS Bermuda last year after zero specific short course training, so let's see how he goes in the races this May and June once he's healthy l
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iden's also fortunate that there really is no one else in the Norwegian federation that he's racing for an olympic spot. Thorn is likely his biggest rival right now for the 2nd Norwegian spot, and Thorn doesn't really have wtcs podium potential ability right now (he's really not even a top 20 type of finisher in his young career yet) so it'll be pretty easy to pick Blu and Iden for the 2 spots.

This whole "switching" back and forth between LC and SC works in their instance, it would not work if he were racing for a bunch of other federations in WT.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 18, 23 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Iden's also fortunate that there really is no one else in the Norwegian federation that he's racing for an olympic spot. Thorn is likely his biggest rival right now for the 2nd Norwegian spot, and Thorn doesn't really have wtcs podium potential ability right now (he's really not even a top 20 type of finisher in his young career yet) so it'll be pretty easy to pick Blu and Iden for the 2 spots.

This whole "switching" back and forth between LC and SC works in their instance, it would not work if he were racing for a bunch of other federations in WT.

what happened to Casper?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ranked ~100 from 2 events (even less than the other Norwegians) so take that for what it is.

They could probably do a 30 for 30 on the Norwegian Bermuda Podium race from what 6 years ago now and “where are they now” (Stornes won the race).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 18, 23 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Ranked ~100 from 2 events (even less than the other Norwegians) so take that for what it is.

They could probably do a 30 for 30 on the Norwegian Bermuda Podium race from what 6 years ago now and “where are they now” (Stornes won the race).

He didn't have success at 70.3 either. I wonder what happened to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

He didn't have success at 70.3 either. I wonder what happened to him.

I mean, two 3rds and a win in Nice 70.3 but looks like a rough year last year with only a DNF in Portugal (2021) and then the US Open last year.

So...a little success?

ETA he's in the new Gustav and Blu Zwift video so...he's around - and I believe the youngest of the three. So...maybe not done.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Mar 18, 23 21:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was 11th in the Olympics in 2021.
He's doing just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
He was 11th in the Olympics in 2021.
He's doing just fine.

had a serious bike crash in a itu race in italy last year seems to struggle but given hos first half of the run in tokyo he should come back well.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But at some point they are going to run out of races to score points to get 3 male spots. USA is running into same issue w Morgan Pearson who was injured most of 1st year of qualification (and then he missed Abu Dhabi w food poisoning night before 2 weeks ago).

Or put it another way- he’s going to have to basically finish top 12ish at every event from here on out to give them a chance to get 3 male spots type of events. He’s def capable of that but it means the margin of error is razor thin (essentially he has to score every event from here on out). Stornes skipped/did not race '23 Abu Dhabi.

He will not be able to max out the 1st year Olympic points and thus will get 8 2nd year scores.

Not that it can’t be done but you also have to factor in everyone else who’s scored points or maxed out their allotment so they can then drop scores etc (if get race improvement).

USA has similar thing going on with getting Pearson to score points. I think he has a better ceiling than most others (3rd at 22 GF), so he likely can jump big points with each race added to his standing. (Pearson is 41 ranked with only 2 races, stornes 96 w 2 races….that’s how big a gain you get from top 3 in Wtcs finish, beyond that it’s going to be really hard for Norway to get 3 males into Paris).

Thus my whole point is no one within Norway is really “pushing out” Iden during this whole “I’m going to go race IM phase now”. Whether that’s due to bad luck from others or others just not improved to force him to stay in IM. So he’s basically got an almost even odds or likely is the favorite so far to gain the 2nd spot (again Blu ain’t even in consideration to NOT make it).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 19, 23 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
But at some point they are going to run out of races to score points to get 3 male spots. USA is running into same issue w Morgan Pearson who was injured most of 1st year of qualification (and then he missed Abu Dhabi w food poisoning night before 2 weeks ago).

Or put it another way- he’s going to have to basically finish top 12ish at every event from here on out to give them a chance to get 3 male spots type of events. He’s def capable of that but it means the margin of error is razor thin (essentially he has to score every event from here on out).

He will not be able to max out the 1st year Olympic points and thus will get 8 2nd year scores.

Not that it can’t be done but you also have to factor in everyone else who’s scored points or maxed out their allotment so they can then drop scores etc (if get race improvement).

USA has similar thing going on with getting Pearson to score points. I think he has a better ceiling than most others (3rd at 22 GF), so he likely can jump big points with each race added to his standing. (Pearson is 41 ranked with only 2 races, stornes 96 w 2 races….that’s how big a gain you get from top 3 in Wtcs finish, beyond that it’s going to be really hard for Norway to get 3 males into Paris).

Thus my whole point is no one within Norway is really “pushing out” Iden during this whole “I’m going to go race IM phase now”. Whether that’s due to bad luck from others or others just not improved to force him to stay in IM. So he’s basically got an almost even odds or likely is the favorite so far to gain the 2nd spot (again Blu ain’t even in consideration to NOT make it).

strones was on start list for serasosta so not sure what happened to him and i have not seen him at a starlist, at the same time one cant really compare a nation with 330 vs 5 milion inhabitants having the same pressure to qualify 3 males.
still if you make it 11th at oly games i would not bet against him so i agree its unlikely at this stage but certainly not a out of question.
anyway how did this thread move from shoes to norway not qualifying 3 males ...
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I listened to the PTN podcast correctly, the ON brand shoes are not part of WT's "development" shoe category and thus these shoes can't be part of the "developmental" designation that the Nike VaporFly's can be. Of course ON can be part of WT's shoe partner, they just have to pay an fee ($$$).

**That's what I got out of the PTN, so have the shoes in questioned finally been ok'd after the protest (which again the "rumors" are saying was filed by Norwegian athlete/staffer)?**

Also my original point really wasnt comparing US to Norway. It was simply to say that due to the lack of depth in Norway, no one (Stornes nor Thorn) can say to Iden "bro just stick to IM cus I'm a top 10 athlete and you aren't taking my olympic spot".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 19, 23 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
If I listened to the PTN podcast correctly, the ON brand shoes are not part of WT's "development" shoe category and thus these shoes can't be part of the "developmental" designation that the Nike VaporFly's can be. Of course ON can be part of WT's shoe partner, they just have to pay an fee ($$$).

**That's what I got out of the PTN, so have the shoes in questioned finally been ok'd after the protest (which again the "rumors" are saying was filed by Norwegian athlete/staffer)?**

So if they didn’t go in via the developmental process, how did they get the OK if they aren’t commercially available?

They may meet the stack and solid plates requirements, but what happened to “being available commercially at least one month prior to being used in competition”?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has the shoe been ruled on from the protest from Abu Dhabi (it was a 30 day time frame ruling).

Eta: I don’t get much into the “super shoe” debate, I know there are now rules for these shoes and how to go about getting them legalized within the restrictions etc. but seeing that photo it’s funny I wouldn’t have even wondered about the validity of it. But again I get it, they now have a validation process for the shoes so if it falls under that, fair enough.

As someone previously said it’s a very “un” ON like looking shoe.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 19, 23 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Has the shoe been ruled on from the protest from Abu Dhabi (it was a 30 day time frame ruling).

Yes, WTS said shoe was OK.

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...s-shoes-in-abu-dhabi

There’s a bit more info in that link:

Quote:
The Head Referee received the protest. The Athlete’s shoes were collected following the protest and sent to World Triathlon Head Office in Lausanne for further inspection, according to the World Triathlon Rules.

According to the protocol, World Triathlon contacted World Athletics, who has identified and confirmed that those shoes were listed in their approved shoes list before 3rd March under the name ON SHOES CloudTRI 1 per their specifications, therefore the protest is dismissed.

Still, that shoe is not commercially available, so apparently there is another process to get shoes in that list prior to them being available to the public, and not via the developmental process.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Mar 19, 23 6:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next