Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii
Quote | Reply
No thread yet about Gustav's shoes from last weekend.

He appears to be wearing a prototype version of the On Cloudboom 3, with extra stack. No stack height limit rules in triathlon (much like UCI bike rules not applying in triathlon). I spoke with a contact from On and he confirmed this was accurate.

It will be interesting to see where this trend goes given the limited regulations.

Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [Aidan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a genius move for On to sponsor GI right before the race. Matt Hanson is with On and he’s fast. Josh Amberger is with On too. I hope On does well in triathlon. I had a pair when they first came out and they lasted forever. Quality was just insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, there was a thread and it was also discussed within other threads.

Bu also talked about it, I think in the triathloninsider interview. Yes it's custom and they will continue to work with On to make the shoe even faster for Gustav. I wonder if this level of collaboration was a main factor in choosing On over a brand that has a fast stock shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Bu also talked about it, I think in the triathloninsider interview. Yes it's custom and they will continue to work with On to make the shoe even faster for Gustav. I wonder if this level of collaboration was a main factor in choosing On over a brand that has a fast stock shoe.

In the interview that one of the German publications did with his coach (in English), their approach was simple: they'd take whichever shoe was fastest. On approached them about 6 weeks before the race looking to put together a shoe for him and they doubted that On would be able to get a prototype in their hands with enough time to test. The coach said that they expected that Iden would use his current shoe but they'd start working together after the race. Sure enough, On was able to put together a prototype or two with enough advance time that they were able to confirm it was faster than what he was using, and so he switched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I see in an interview that Frodo is also going to be working with ON? I swear I heard an interview that he said he was working with them and tried out a prototype version also. Or did I make that up?

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodeno is working with HOKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I bet they are fast but, my goodness, the stack height is insane. I can't believe he didn't get a nosebleed with how high off the ground he was on those shoes. :-) I could never use shoes with stack height that high; my ankles would break.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key, if you're going high stack, is to make it wide enough under the mid foot to add some platform stability. It's why I think guys break down a bit more in the Vaporfly / AlphaFly versus something like an Endorphin Pro.

Gustav's blessed with some really solid foot mechanics. Kristian is less so -- that's why I don't think you'll see him move from a MetaSpeed Sky or an Endorphin Pro type shoe. Still responds well, just needs more real estate underfoot in the mid foot region.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was it true that On replicated the foam, carbon plate and stack of nikes for the race prototype?

if triathlon has no regulation shoe stack....No limits!

Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
was it true that On replicated the foam, carbon plate and stack of nikes for the race prototype?

Well, who made that statement?
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

In the interview that one of the German publications did with his coach (in English), their approach was simple: they'd take whichever shoe was fastest. On approached them about 6 weeks before the race looking to put together a shoe for him and they doubted that On would be able to get a prototype in their hands with enough time to test. The coach said that they expected that Iden would use his current shoe but they'd start working together after the race. Sure enough, On was able to put together a prototype or two with enough advance time that they were able to confirm it was faster than what he was using, and so he switched.

Triathloninsider is that "German publication" :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

This Alphafly 2 is not doing well. Many people are getting blisters and people reported they are not as bouncy and fast as version 1. They are more stable though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
timbasile wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Triathloninsider is that "German publication" :P

Ah, thanks! I only came across the link since someone posted it here and there were parts in German so I didn't really pay attention to the source.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gustav gave the shoes credit for being able to recover from the 40km run at pro race pace (after 100km bike) 6 days out....that he even felt recovered by wednesday

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...championship-racing/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Nike no longer has the patent on the foam. Let the shoe wars begin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just talking with US Olympian /10 km, in person sponsored by OC yesterday afternoon--Joe Klecker. He said that those shoes Gustav has--are 1 of 1. There are no others that exist at this time. So...if Joe doesn't have a pair either, Gustav must be pretty *special*...amongst OC's planetary sponsored elites.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [pattaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattaya wrote:

They never did, nor did it seen necessary. Other brands such as Saucony have been using PEBAX for a while so I doubt that was ever patentable. And other foam formulas using Nylon and TPU have been just as good anyway
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

the next stack hieight will be 26.2 miles deep. all you need to do is start falling from the start line.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What if these were evolved with a mini carbon blade that curves backwards like the Paralympian prosthetics but smaller?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'd struggle to control the spring back. I would think time on the ground would be too long. Might be able to adjust though?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both boots attempted

Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy at 6 minutes....

Not yet optimised (running helmet yes), carbon mini blades under carbon cycling shoes...bottle in back of aero suit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
pattaya wrote:

They never did, nor did it seen necessary. Other brands such as Saucony have been using PEBAX for a while so I doubt that was ever patentable. And other foam formulas using Nylon and TPU have been just as good anyway

You are wrong. Nike had a patent on their foam. But it runs out this year.

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav's shoes at IM Hawaii [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

s13tx wrote:

This Alphafly 2 is not doing well. Many people are getting blisters and people reported they are not as bouncy and fast as version 1. They are more stable though.

How unlike Nike...to take a perfectly good shoe and improve it to be worse...
Quote Reply

Prev Next