Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guns and training [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[..] shall not be infringed.

If its ok to ignore our second amendment rights, then I guess it is ok to ignore the fourth and the fifth amendments too?
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
[..] shall not be infringed.

If its ok to ignore our second amendment rights, then I guess it is ok to ignore the fourth and the fifth amendments too?

---

Not ignore,change..

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, because the 4th and 5th are congruous with a civilised modern society, the 2nd isn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [Chinley Churner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda like how we changed it to get rid of slavery and to give women the right to vote and got rid of the poll tax. It was changed and updated to mesh with changes in societal thought.
Last edited by: npage148: Dec 21, 12 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you use three examples of the expansion of rights to justify the restriction of another?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Abolishing slavery is the restriction of one person's right to own another. It's not an expansion of rights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and restriction of prejudice/discrimination in the electoral system and restriction of an unjust tax.. please try harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [crwnikeboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Glock 19 depending on where I'm biking.

Haven't tried it running.

I use a belleyband holster. What do others use?

Never used it, no plans on using it. Follow the laws and everything will be ok. Super simple stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Well, It's to protect yourself against the tyranny of the government. Because my AR-15 is going to save me against Abram tanks, RC drones and 200 million dollar fighter jets. Once again it boils down to paranoia. Americans are skittish paranoid creatures that need deadly force by our side to feel safe in our homes watching TV with our families or when out walking our neighborhood

I wish i could say you were facetious but go to the gun forums and there are plenty of people proudly thinking up possible scenarios where they think their lone gun can withstand a us military incursion. Its like a 3rd grader with a gun after watching action movies. I didnt believe it until i saw it myself.

(not saying youre one of those - ur clearly not!)
Last edited by: lightheir: Dec 21, 12 10:11
Quote Reply
Post deleted by npage148 [ In reply to ]
Re: Guns and training [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
care to post a link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crwnikeboy wrote:
Has anyone ever carried a handgun while either riding or running? Has anyone ever had to use such a weapon to defend themselves, either by drawing it or actually shooting it at an attacker?

Yes,

I work for a County Law Enforcment agency, and I live in the same city I work. I frequently run into bad guys on the street. Most of the time they don't recognize me, but I have had a couple of people do double takes. I know a lot of these clowns are armed and I have a duty to protect myself and others, so YES I almost always have a 9mm sub-compact on me.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [stabbin31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you carry? What holster/how? Mine from above post is a bit combersome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did I know this would turn into a discussion of gun ownership rights? Anyway here are a couple of interesting links as to the reality of gun ownership vs. the media's master narrative on the subject.

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/articles/guns-crime-swiss.html

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2970854/posts

Reasonable people on both sides can debate the subject on facts if they choose to use them.

Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [bothepat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its a cheap uncle mikes belt clip holster. Cumbersome but it works. When I run I usually just carry a can of Freeze +P (aka Mace). Stuff is nasty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll carry when riding solo but not in a group. Seems people are more likely to target you when you are alone in my experience. I'm licensed and have done some light competitive pistol shooting so I feel reasonably confident I can handle my weapon. I also find myself much more willing to ignore real and perhaps perceived slights by motorists because I know the consequences of an escalating confrontation.
No, I've never produced my weapon and pray I never will but I'd rather have it and not need it than be dead but "righteous" like some of those who appear to be overreacting to the OP question.
If you don't believe in firearm ownership, by all means don't own one but don't infringe upon my rights. BTW I'm a physician at a tertiary care hospital with a level one trauma center and I get to see first hand the effects of a gun shot wound. This makes me both want to avoid ever using a firearm but also not to be an overly easy target out on a century ride in very isolated areas.

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [Chinley Churner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chinley Churner wrote:
No, because the 4th and 5th are congruous with a civilised modern society, the 2nd isn't.

we need the 2nd so we can go into a civil war once the government takes us into the tyranny of the dark ages. i.e. we need guns to make sure we stay civilized. Hitler was for gun control, why? The first thing you do before setting up authoritarian gov. is disarm the citizens so you don't enter a civil war that is inevitable when you try to enslave the populous.
Last edited by: cyclops: Dec 23, 12 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to think carrying weapon while running or cycling was being paranoid. That before a guy in a truck started following me during my early morning runs. He has also followed several other female runners in the area. We've called the police numerous times. I'm licensed and belong to women's competitive shooting league during the off season. I now run with a knife that attaches to the waist band of my shorts. My husband feels better knowing that I have something to protect myself. We know if someone wanted to harm me there is only so much that I could do to protect myself. Running with my gun really isn't an option at this point. I can barely stand to run wearing a fuel belt.
Last edited by: milesaway: Dec 23, 12 19:18
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [milesaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it seems women are more vulnerable and I personally know several women who have been abducted and killed. More common than you'd think or hope. My wife runs solo pre dawn and it makes me nuts but she refuses to take precautions like a buddy or running after work, etc. She is not familiar with weapons to the degree I feel she would benefit from carrying any type of weapon other than perhaps mace or equiv. She has gone to range w/ me and is a fair shot but is not someone I believe would be best served by carrying. I am glad you feel confident enough in your abilities and hope you stay safe and never have any confrontations. Be safe.
I don't carry while running as I run on trails and rarely see anyone plus I run with two weimaraners off leash under voice command and feel a lot safer in this situation than I do riding solo in the sticks w/ no witnesses around. Agree running with a gun would be very cumbersome.

Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
KnoxVegas wrote:
Why should I move? I am the law abiding citizen. Life is not without risk, but why wear a helmet, or seatbelt, or any other type of safety device.
Because it sounds like you live in a shithole. Most people can't conceive of living in a place where it's necessary to carry a gun to feel safe. That's not a criticism of you or an ad hominem attack it's just a reflection of the desire of most people to feel comfortable in their surroundings without the need to have a gun close at hand.

Regarding risk mitigation, for most people, carrying a gun is like carrying around a grounded lightning rod while gardening. Sure it would afford you some additional protection in the event of a lightning strike but the probability of that occurring is so low that it's not worth it. If we lived in a place where lightning strikes, or violent encounters, were more frequent we'd probably move.

^^^^ this

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
Chinley Churner wrote:

we need the 2nd so we can go into a civil war once the government takes us into the tyranny of the dark ages. i.e. we need guns to make sure we stay civilized. Hitler was for gun control, why? The first thing you do before setting up authoritarian gov. is disarm the citizens so you don't enter a civil war that is inevitable when you try to enslave the populous.

Let me say two things to you, in complete seriousness. First, can you name one conflict in the 20th century, where, once the citizens really decided - as a people - to rebel against the government, that obtaining weapons was a problem? Let me help you: Vietnam, Bosnia, Kosovo, Lebanon, Libya, Syria - all countries where the international gun dealers had a field day supplying national liberation armies. I notice that Germany is always the example - but it is probably not the one you intended - the fact is the vast majority of Germans supported the Nazi government in its heyday, just like the vast majority of Americans supported our last illegal war of choice. An opinion like yours only sounds reasonable in a country like America, with its fantasy creation myths and puff-chested self-image.

Second, do you really think the government is scared of you and your peashooter, and that it somehow prevents tyrnanny? Let me enlighten you. A gun might have been an effective deterrent in the 1700s, but, armed with a gun, here's how your theoretical anti-government rebellion would end. Scene: you, crouched, peering out the window clutching your AR-15, fantasies of glorious minutemen spinning in your head. A quarter second later, a hellfire missile, dropped by an unseen drone circling 20,000 feet above you and 10 miles away, pierces your roof and levels half your suburban block, turning you, your family, and some unlucky neighbors into human burger meat. I'm sure the government is terrified of you, Walter Mitty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crwnikeboy wrote:
Has anyone ever carried a handgun while either riding or running? Has anyone ever had to use such a weapon to defend themselves, either by drawing it or actually shooting it at an attacker?
It's called pepper spray.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [Jeff B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly curious - when you carry on the bike, do you wear the gun in a very visible place, like a easy to be seen holster on your back, or do you keep it concealed? I would think that if avoiding confrontation was a primary motive for carrying on the bike, you'd want the gun to be very visible to any potential offenders, like in a nonconcealed holster strapped to your back.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only licensed to carry concealed and I don't want to broadcast I have a weapon. Invites more a holes w/ something to prove IMHO. I want it only as a last resort. And yes, I carry pepper spray too for dogs and also to try and allow me to escape a serious confrontation w/o brandishing a firearm. Deadly force is the absolute last thing I want to use. As a doc, I actually value life, mine more so than some sociopath, but I do not want to take a life. NEVER!
When a gun is brought into the equation, lives are forever altered. Everyone's lives involved. No thanks, don't want to be involved in that ever. But I know there are outliers who will harm you and yours and not feel a shred of remorse. I see them at work every day! At least I've got a chance to defend myself rather than be at their mercy.

Quote Reply
Re: Guns and training [KnoxVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one is laughing at you Knox. Instead we cry for you and the 12,000 killed annually in gun violence in the US. With 300 million guns in circulation i can understand why one may contemplate having to carry a gun while out training. Very sad actually.

I'm glad that in Canada we don't have a right to bare arms, to carry semi automatics, or concealed weapons. The 2nd Amendment Right seems to trump so many other rights and freedoms...like the ability to run and ride in safety! Personally I'd be willing to give up that right in a heartbeat for the safety of my family, friends and neighbours.

Not sure whether the US has passed the point of no return with the staggering amount of weapons in circulation. I truly hope that that is not the case.

In Reply To:
Quote Reply

Prev Next