Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gulf coast 70.3 run times
Quote | Reply
Anyone know why the run times for pro men and women were so slow today? Run course is pancake flat. Shouldn’t have been too hot by the time they finished. As an aside, will Lauren Brandon ever learn to run faster.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was plain hot. There is no shade and massively exposed asphalt. I think street temp was close to 100°
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Effing hot and miserably humid. Please come try it for yourself. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you say it wasn’t hot?
Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced there the first year. Again pros were done by the time it was brutal. I’m from Mississippi. I know hot and humid 😜

Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It was plain hot. There is no shade and massively exposed asphalt. I think street temp was close to 100°

Yeah that run course sucks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tampa. Humidity goes down as the temp goes up. So they missed the hottest temps but were running in the more humid time. Regardless, the run was freaking hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was pancake flat. However it was really hot. That course is 3 loops with basically zero shade. You literally get zero sun reprieve the entire run except for a 20 foot patch of shade under a water slide 😩
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miserable hot run. Not fun we paid the price

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the photos the swim looked pretty messy.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the swim was super choppy. Like I’m shocked they held the swim at all. That with a significant headwind on the return section of the out and back bike course could have played a role too.
Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very difficult swim. I prayed for newbies and the first thing I checked when I finished was whether there had been any swim fatalities. Fortunately, I didn't hear of any although they did have to pull some people out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever been to Panama City?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Anyone know why the run times for pro men and women were so slow today? Run course is pancake flat. Shouldn’t have been too hot by the time they finished. As an aside, will Lauren Brandon ever learn to run faster.

Not sure what the dew point was but it had to be up there and that plays a big factor in how fast you can run. There wasn't a lot of wind on the bike or the run IMHO which makes for a cooker of a day as well. It could be very tight in many spots with a lot of the surface being highly cambered with rough footing. Basically lots of little things that add up to slow running. Also depending on you ran the cones and tangents it may have been slightly long.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

Not sure what the dew point was but it had to be up there and that plays a big factor in how fast you can run. There wasn't a lot of wind on the bike or the run IMHO which makes for a cooker of a day as well. It could be very tight in many spots with a lot of the surface being highly cambered with rough footing. Basically lots of little things that add up to slow running. Also depending on you ran the cones and tangents it may have been slightly long.

Saw you raced Thomas, glad to see you are back at it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little late to the party on this but when I finished in 4:34 I checked the weather and it was 87F with 77% humidity which puts it at an extreme 79F dew point.
Quote Reply
Re: Gulf coast 70.3 run times [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, I suspect that street temperature was significantly hotter than the official temperature. My watch consistently shows about 5° F higher than official temperature on pre-dawn runs. (It is dead on for swims.) My watch showed an average temperature of 94° and a 100° max. That means that the temperature was probably in the 90° - 95° range for most of the run. Interestingly, the hottest spot on my watch was the stretch of Front Beach Road at the end of the loops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
Little late to the party on this but when I finished in 4:34 I checked the weather and it was 87F with 77% humidity which puts it at an extreme 79F dew point.

Nice backdoor brag!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:

And 79 is a very slow running temp. Little surprised it was that high but it was definitely high.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks that wasn't really racing on my part, more of just participating. And I ended up not being ready to race and should have pulled out about mile 11 of the bike but I sucked it up anyway and finished. I have the opportunity to run a few miles with TJ as he pursued and ran down the leader on his lap 3 (my lap 2) which I never intended when I started the race of course or decided to do the race.

The real reason I was even there was to support my training partner in his effort to get back to racing. He had recommitted to sport in 2019 and had a coach and had been training well but needed a little extra accountability. Without me at least committing he wasn't going to do it, even though he needed to be doing it with the goal of his first Ironman and last race of his career at Ironman Wisconsin. He had a decent swim/bike but faltered on the run. Unfortunately it ended up being a waste as he threw in the towel on triathlon recently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Thanks that wasn't really racing on my part, more of just participating. And I ended up not being ready to race and should have pulled out about mile 11 of the bike but I sucked it up anyway and finished. I have the opportunity to run a few miles with TJ as he pursued and ran down the leader on his lap 3 (my lap 2) which I never intended when I started the race of course or decided to do the race.

The real reason I was even there was to support my training partner in his effort to get back to racing. He had recommitted to sport in 2019 and had a coach and had been training well but needed a little extra accountability. Without me at least committing he wasn't going to do it, even though he needed to be doing it with the goal of his first Ironman and last race of his career at Ironman Wisconsin. He had a decent swim/bike but faltered on the run. Unfortunately it ended up being a waste as he threw in the towel on triathlon recently.

How’s your training going now.

Quote Reply