Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guide me coach
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone
This is ishan nakra iam training for ITU, distance triathlon i wanted some guidance on how should i decide my intensity weekly ( for eg which week should be hard, medium, easy) and what phases does a athlete should go.
So i have attached the workout of my current week workout and i feel its a hard week so what should be my next week plans HOW should I progress and recover together
Last edited by: ishannakra: May 21, 20 0:24
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [ishannakra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps hire a coach?

;)

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
perhaps hire a coach?

;)

E

Yea...to be honest, you can google a lot of that yourself, or you can hire someone to help guide you through all of this.

That is an unbelievably complicated question to just answer on a forum like this...not to mention, the answer isn't black and white. The answer isn't constant. the answer is going to ebb and flow weekly depending on you life, the time of year, how well you fuel, weather, and a whole mess of other variables that any advice on here wont be able to appropriately answer.

Best of luck to you!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah... I totally agree with you. I also tried to hire a coach but i didn't find one here in India so i started self training.
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [Tri India] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get 90% of the way there with a canned training plan instead of a coach. There are loads of free ones on the internet, or purchase one through Trainingpeaks, or a book. You need to find one that works with your schedule, available time, and goals.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri India wrote:
Yeah... I totally agree with you. I also tried to hire a coach but i didn't find one here in India so i started self training.

Many coaches will work with you exclusively online, so you aren't constrained to just India. You could look into that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How good are you? If you are just starting out, you need to establish a basic structure and develop a basic fitness base that includes the three disciplines. Plenty of templates will get you going. You may also need an accountability piece, but there are ways to do that without a "coach." If however, you are pushing toward elite at the other end of the spectrum and you need to squeeze out that extra few percent of performance, then find the best online coach and engage the relationship.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You can get 90% of the way there with a canned training plan instead of a coach. There are loads of free ones on the internet, or purchase one through Trainingpeaks, or a book. You need to find one that works with your schedule, available time, and goals.

7 years of self coaching. I plateaued. I was reasonable fast and would be on AG podiums almost every race.

I started working with a coach in November. I'm running way less volume than before and recently shattered a 13.1 PR by 5 minutes.

I 100% agree with you, but that 10% is considerable once you've gotten all you can by the "just train" mentality.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unpopular opinion that coaches are way overrated and pray upon triathletes who are eager to overpay for anything. No one knows yourself more than you, and there are plenty of resources out there to study and piece together a great training program for yourself.

If you are a complete beginner who needs help clipping in or are a pro where shaving a few minutes off your ironman time is life and death then get a coach.

For the rest of us in between, quit listening to these salesmen who give you a limit on how many phone calls you can give them every month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ishan, think of it this way; suppose I asked you "I would like to own a wheat farm in southern India, what should I do next week?"

That is almost impossible for you to answer without asking a lot of questions, where do you live? have you ever farmed before? do you have money? do you have a way to get work papers in India? and on and on and on.

You asked a similar question, we know the distance you are training for but not your history, when the race is etc etc etc.

I think if you were to pickup a copy of one or two triathlon training books and go through them you will be able to ask much more specific questions that some of the fine folks here could better help with. The books themselves won't necessarily have the right answer, but will help you see the overall structure of how things are put together and the types of things you would look at when putting together a plan or schedule.

Having that background would also help you if you eventually do hire a coach.

Best of luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your suggestions will do the workouts on that provided link as the pools open
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually don't know how good iam its like 20 months I have been started training for triathlon i was 9th at senior national triathlon and my PB at a flat course for a standard triathlon is 2.15.
But yeah i haven't trained my self that much that i can reach the plateau condition
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

7 years of self coaching. I plateaued. I was reasonable fast and would be on AG podiums almost every race.

I started working with a coach in November. I'm running way less volume than before and recently shattered a 13.1 PR by 5 minutes.

I 100% agree with you, but that 10% is considerable once you've gotten all you can by the "just train" mentality.
In Reply To:
7 years is way to much its like 2 years i have started so i think its lot more i can put myself
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your true words haha. Sounds nice
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
Ishan, think of it this way; suppose I asked you "I would like to own a wheat farm in southern India, what should I do next week?"

That is almost impossible for you to answer without asking a lot of questions, where do you live? have you ever farmed before? do you have money? do you have a way to get work papers in India? and on and on and on.

You asked a similar question, we know the distance you are training for but not your history, when the race is etc etc etc.

I think if you were to pickup a copy of one or two triathlon training books and go through them you will be able to ask much more specific questions that some of the fine folks here could better help with. The books themselves won't necessarily have the right answer, but will help you see the overall structure of how things are put together and the types of things you would look at when putting together a plan or schedule.

Having that background would also help you if you eventually do hire a coach.

Best of luck
[
In Reply To:
ohhh cool i will keep that in mind so do u suggest any books or something or should i just go with 80/20 triathlon training book
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
What is your goal?
In Reply To:
i want to participate in an ITU event soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Unpopular opinion that coaches are way overrated and pray upon triathletes who are eager to overpay for anything. No one knows yourself more than you, and there are plenty of resources out there to study and piece together a great training program for yourself.

If you are a complete beginner who needs help clipping in or are a pro where shaving a few minutes off your ironman time is life and death then get a coach.

For the rest of us in between, quit listening to these salesmen who give you a limit on how many phone calls you can give them every month.

That is not a coach

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what they call themselves though.

I agree, that's not coaching. but there is a place for that service, because the costs are (or should be) considerably lower than an actual coaching arrangement.

I'd rather they call it a "training plan with enhanced technical support" or something.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's what they call themselves though.

I agree, that's not coaching. but there is a place for that service, because the costs are (or should be) considerably lower than an actual coaching arrangement.

I'd rather they call it a "training plan with enhanced technical support" or something.[/quote

A real coach swatted me on the head with a kick board when I did an open turn at age 6... and told me to go faster when I was hanging on the side of the pool trying to keep from puking.

I’ve paid good money for “enhanced technical support” from some great coaches over the years. They’ve markedly improved my self-awareness, and demonstrated how I respond to hard training and where my blind spots are. I’m currently self-coaching... but have found that having a coach during the final build to a big race keeps my ego in check, gets me to the start healthy, and ready to race. (at the appropriate pace to finish strong)
Last edited by: Wild Horse: May 31, 20 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
vanchize wrote:

That is not a coach

Let me guess, you recommend a spanking new bike fit for everyone you coach and you'll throw in a 2nd text message every week. lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Let me guess, you recommend a spanking new bike fit for everyone you coach and you'll throw in a 2nd text message every week. lol.

I know the anonymity of the internet can be very empowering for some personality types, but maybe - just maybe - try not being a dick every chance you get?

(And i say this as someone who is getting very good results with a canned 80:20 training plan, and who does think that for most athletes, just riding consistently gets them mostly there).

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
quit listening to these salesmen who give you a limit on how many phone calls you can give them every month.

Let me guess, you expect a coach to provided unlimited time to all of your needs for a flat rate? Because surely time does not =$$$ where you come from!?!?!

Surprisingly, I can hardly get any of the athletes to use the allocated time I provide them on a call. Almost everyone exclusively prefers text/email.......

Self coaching works for some (same can be said about canned plans), but for many they will end up burned out, injured, or plateauing sooner than with the oversight of a coach. Coaching was the best investment I made in the sport, and would highly recommend that if someone can afford it, then it's very much worth the ROI.

But what do I know...........

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Surprisingly, I can hardly get any of the athletes to use the allocated time I provide them on a call. Almost everyone exclusively prefers text/email.......

Could be personality type related - maybe they are introverted and prefer text/email guidance or feedback.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Guide me coach [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
vanchize wrote:
quit listening to these salesmen who give you a limit on how many phone calls you can give them every month.

Let me guess, you expect a coach to provided unlimited time to all of your needs for a flat rate? Because surely time does not =$$$ where you come from!?!?!

Self coaching works for some (same can be said about canned plans), but for many they will end up burned out, injured, or plateauing sooner than with the oversight of a coach. Coaching was the best investment I made in the sport, and would highly recommend that if someone can afford it, then it's very much worth the ROI.

But what do I know...........

It’s like you said, most people aren’t going to use the allotted time every week anyway, you should have a rough idea of how much over the phone contact there will be each week, on average. So build that into the rate..

Other ideas, which you may or may not be doing, and may or may not work for your coaching style, but they’re at least some ideas. You can do things like set up group calls, talk about things that are common to the group (for those comfortable with that), to reduce the number of one on one calls where everyone is asking about the same things. Or a prerecorded video that should be an explanation of the day /week, watch this and then set up a call if things aren’t clear.

There are all kinds of ways to efficiently and cost effectively increase the amount of personal interaction.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply