Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Groupset swop question
Quote | Reply
I have two road bikes. One Ultegra Di2 rim brake and one a disc brake bike.

Besides the brake calipers (obvs), will I (LBS) be able to swop them around? I want the disc brake bike to have the Di2.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Groupset swop question [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Levers will be a problem.
Only parts that can transfer are derailleurs (cranks, chain, cassette are obviously the same)
Quote Reply
Re: Groupset swop question [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. So assuming I get appropriate levers it should be fine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's possible that some of the di2 cables may not be right length for the new bike, so you may have to get longer cables. Also, di2 cables have a smaller diameter than mech cable and housing, so you may have to get new grommets for where the cables enter the frame for both bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So here is my dilemma. Tell me what you think/what you would do.

Current bike is Ultegra Di2 rim brake.
Bike I just bought has DA FD and RD (mechanical), Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes, FSA hollow carbon SL-K Light cranks.

Initial thought, as you know by now, was to get the Di2 onto the new bike. But now I'm thinking to just leave as is? What would you do? Di2 is so sweet...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely, all of your Di2 cables would transfer. So, you could move cables, battery, junctions, FD, and RD. You would have to buy 2 new sets of shifters and then dispose of (sell) the old shifters. New shifters would be around $400. Then, you are into the bike shop labor costs for 2 builds. So, spitballing that is another $300 total. So, you are looking at around $700 spend and you could offset that a little if you sell the old shifters. So, maybe net is $500-ish.

If you shopped hard for equivalent stuff, you might be able to get Di2 stuff for the new bike for under $1K. And, you could probably sell the old components (FD, RD, shifters) for a couple hundred dollars. Maybe $300 on a great day.

So, for an incremental few hundred dollars, I would probably lean toward just upgrading the new bike at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Groupset swop question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. Thank you for the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Groupset swop question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not do the work yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Groupset swop question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would (and have multiple times). And, I highly recommend self-building to others rather than giving it to an LBS to do. It is the best way to truly learn how everything works and build self-support confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Groupset swop question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, because I am as thick as two planks when it comes to this stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch some youtube videos and it's easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do the swap and fit some cable actuated disc brakes. There are some pretty nice options out there that will give you good performance.
Quote Reply