Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Group rides in Greenville
Quote | Reply
Toward the end of April I'll be in Greenville, SC for a Wednesday and Thursday night. What are the good group rides? Or good routes? On a good day I'm a B group rider.

Thank you internet patrons.
Quote Reply
Re: Group rides in Greenville [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
Toward the end of April I'll be in Greenville, SC for a Wednesday and Thursday night. What are the good group rides? Or good routes? On a good day I'm a B group rider.

Thank you internet patrons.

Look for the Greenville Spinners. Both road and greenway rides. That greenway up there is bumpy AF. Lots of roots have grown under it and it's darn near unbearable on a race bike. Unless they've shaved it down since I last have been out that way. I'd use it to access Paris Mtn from downtown and then cross through the university but it was so bumpy I started parking at Piney Mountain Bike Lodge instead. It would have been convenient to not drive to ride, but whatever.

See if something leaves from near Piney Mountain Bike Lodge. That's a bar/bike shop thingie. Often food trucks and events there. I'd park there and go do repeats on Paris Mountain. Worth a stop there.

Piney is close to the off road stuff around Paris Mtn, and has its own pump track. Group ride or not, you can't go to Greenville and not ride either Paris Mtn or Caesar's Head.

It's more climbing roadie territory stuff and I don't think many of the group rides utilize it.

If you're rich, Hotel Domestique is up there run by ole' Hincappie. They do arranged rides through that hotel. I've never stayed there, probably wouldn't. Expensive.

Traveler's Rest is nice little rest stop area with shops/eateries and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Group rides in Greenville [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few bike shops that host rides. Contact Freehub, Cycle Haus and Carolina Triathlon. They can give you the specifics. I live in Greenville and can guarantee you won't have any trouble finding groups to ride with.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Group rides in Greenville [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote ........
If you're rich, Hotel Domestique is up there run by ole' Hincappie. They do arranged rides through that hotel. I've never stayed there, probably wouldn't. Expensive. .....[/quote]
I'll 2nd riding from Hotel Domestique. A couple of years ago we did a 70ish mile ride w/ a local pro as tour guide. Most of the route was part of the Hincapie Gran Fondo route. The route was generally rural and generally rolling, but did have several great climbs - Skyuka and Howard's Gap. Well worth traveling from the Greenville metro area to do that (we drove down from Asheville that particular day as part of a 4 day training camp).

My guess is between Strava and MapMyRide you could find the route (or something very similar). Route took you around Lake Lanier (SC, not GA), into town of Tryon, NC. From there headed N past I-26 to then do the Skyuka loop (to get the climb in), back towards Tryon then NW on Old Howard Gap Road. After that climb is was generally downhill back to Hotel Domestique. Fun day in the saddle.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Group rides in Greenville [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greenville Spins is definitely a good resource to find out the group rides there at the time. You can also search for Greenville Area Triathlon Training Club on Facebook which is a decently sized group. Many there will know about rides around town as well as swims or runs. And if not you can always post for people to join up with.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply