Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures.
Quote | Reply
I had a race a few weeks back and thought nothing of a slight plain in my left groin area after the race. I have not been doing much since then apart from a few runs of the bike and now this week, a run on Monday and one last night. What was a slight pain has now turned into a pretty bad pain when running (especially on impact). I have narrowed it down to (I believe) one of the adductor muscles, with the pain being right of centre and close to that area based on images from google.

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday for another matter, but will bring this up then and will hopefully be able to bag some heavy drugs to aid with recovery.

What else would you suggest to aid this. I am assuming it is going to be at least a few weeks from running. Biking and swimming at least at the moment seem okay and I would hate to have to stop everything at this point in the season (next race is just under 6 weeks)

Is there also anything you would recommend for prevention. I am thinking of adding various exercises using those specific thighs, bums and tums machine you see in the gym. Anything else?

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what distance(s) was the race you got injured ?

I blew up my hip flexors & adductors on a marathon a few years ago. It literally took 2 months to heal.

Initially I did only biking and swimming, absolutely no running for a month. Baby steps back to running after that, short runs/walks, with core exercises, made a slow recovery back to normal running.

I'm not saying your situation is the same, but just be careful, if you come back too fast it can make the problem worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [metafizx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it was an extremely short distance being my first event and the run was only 3k. However, I did clock times that I had never ran before so it was unknown territory for my body.

I have since obtained a decent plan with more speedwork involved and was planning on following this until next event. This however is now out of the window.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question, does it hurt when you squeeze your legs together? Just curious as I'm suffering from the same lingering thing, sort of an inner thigh/groin area injury. I just took two weeks off and went out for a short 4 miler last night and its back with a vengeance. I'm trying to pinpoint the injury and I'll be interested to hear the responses.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [toolman605] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can feel it a little when squeezing legs together, but to be honest, on a scale of 1 to 100 compared to running, I would have to put this at about 3.

It is an interesting point actually as the adductor are responsible for that motion and at least in my case, I would have assumed that it would have hurt. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get an xray? I had this last March (2011) and it turned out to be a pelvic stress fracture that I'm still recovering from (no running) b/c it wasn't diagnosed properly and I kept running on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [Princess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet, I am still in the process of attempting to locate the issue myself. I do have a doctor's appointment Friday, but don't hold much hope of being able to get anything like an xray unless I have been back there a few times (they are loathed to do anything unless they really have to).

God, I hope it is not a stress fracture....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Admittedly, a pelvic stress fracture is not very common - I did a good job with that one! But, it's best to err on the side of caution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots and lots of core work and stretching. I had bilateral sports hernia repair before the start of last season. Core work and PT did not improve things prior to surgery but I believe have helped since. Most likely a different issue altogether, but if you are neglecting core work it can lead to a lot of problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
I had a race a few weeks back and thought nothing of a slight plain in my left groin area after the race. I have not been doing much since then apart from a few runs of the bike and now this week, a run on Monday and one last night. What was a slight pain has now turned into a pretty bad pain when running (especially on impact). I have narrowed it down to (I believe) one of the adductor muscles, with the pain being right of centre and close to that area based on images from google.

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday for another matter, but will
bring this up then and will hopefully be able to bag some heavy drugs to aid with recovery.

Does it hurt to stand on one leg? Doing a scaring motion?

Potentially a very long lasting injury and debilitating. I was out nearly three months. Don't push it.

What else would you suggest to aid this. I am assuming it is going to be at least a few weeks from running. Biking and swimming at least at the moment seem okay and I would hate to have to stop everything at this point in the season (next race is just under 6 weeks)

Is there also anything you would recommend for prevention. I am thinking of adding various exercises using those specific thighs, bums and tums machine you see in the gym. Anything else?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Standing on one leg is fine.

Not sure what a scaring motion is. I can rotate the leg while standing on the other with no problems.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:

Not sure what a scaring motion is. I can rotate the leg while standing on the other with no problems.

Thanks

Damn autocorrect.skating motion. What about quick acceleration for exMple running to cross a road.
Can be muscular can be tendon.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
chrisbint wrote:

Thanks

Damn autocorrect.skating motion. What about quick acceleration for exMple running to cross a road.
Can be muscular can be tendon.

Attempting to mimic this motion by placing one foot against the wall and 'pushing' the other foot away (in front of me) does not produce any pain in either leg.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be fine after short break. If it persists though don't push through pain, especially if it makes you limp. ( mine got so bad I could barely walk) get to a PT and find the exact muscle/tendon and treat. I am still scared every time I feel even a twinge that I will have to go through that again. I admittedly pushed through it at the start and paid for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday for another matter, but will bring this up then and will hopefully be able to bag some heavy drugs to aid with recovery.

Thanks

Digging up an old thread here and wondering if you were able to resolve your groin pain.

It sounds very similar to pain I've been having in my left groin/hip flexor area for about a month now. Like what you describe it's right of center, I don't really notice it when riding, standing on one leg is fine, skating motion is fine, but it hurts when running, especially on impact.

It came on slowly as a dull ache that I didn't think much about and progressively got worse over the course of a week or two. Downhill running bothers it more than uphill but that goes along with the greater impact of downhill. I'm taking a concerted break from running in hopes of putting it to rest.

Did you find anything that helped and how long did it take for yours to get better (if you even remember 9 years later)?
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a groin strain last year, the sort of injury where squeezing my knees together would hurt, or even rolling my leg inwards when lying down.

As it was diagnosed as a tendon problem by my physio, a rehab routine of isometric/eccentric exercises to strengthen and some groin stretches to stimulate healing did the trick. Although it took about 2-3 months to heal, and I needed to reduce mileage by about 30%.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [matt.pocknell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matt.pocknell wrote:
I had a groin strain last year, the sort of injury where squeezing my knees together would hurt, or even rolling my leg inwards when lying down.

As it was diagnosed as a tendon problem by my physio, a rehab routine of isometric/eccentric exercises to strengthen and some groin stretches to stimulate healing did the trick. Although it took about 2-3 months to heal, and I needed to reduce mileage by about 30%.

What kind of isometric and eccentric exercises were you doing, if you don't mind my asking? And how could you (or your physio) know it was tendon not muscle?

I have an appointment with PT next week. I've stopped running altogether for now. My last run was a bit over a week ago. Glad to hear you got better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
matt.pocknell wrote:

What kind of isometric and eccentric exercises were you doing, if you don't mind my asking? And how could you (or your physio) know it was tendon not muscle?

I have an appointment with PT next week. I've stopped running altogether for now. My last run was a bit over a week ago. Glad to hear you got better!

Your problem sounds like the hip, not a groin strain.

That being said, just go to you Youtube and search Copenhagen exercises or something similar for groin rehab/prevention exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
matt.pocknell wrote:

I think it was easy to identify as a tendon due to the fact that the pain would ease during exercise, and get worse after. Thankfully I was told that carrying on with some training would help with the healing process, but with a reduction in volume.

I was doing lots of knee squeeze holds and hip addiction with resistance bands. Apparently tendon injuries react well to both isometric and eccentric movements.

But getting the exact cause of the pain diagnosed is the best option! I hope an easy solution is found for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

That being said, just go to you Youtube and search Copenhagen exercises or something similar for groin rehab/prevention exercises.

I'd never seen the Copenhagen exercises before but just did a set this morning. I only did the beginner bent knee version, just to be safe, and they really target the adductors. Plus it's really easy to do both isometric and eccentric. Really good suggestion - thanks very much!

Also, what makes you suggest it's a hip issue rather than the groin? I'm not disagreeing, I just always thought (naively) of hip as being more outside and front of the body and the groin being the inner thigh.

I've definitely spent the past few seasons focusing more on outer hip/glute/abductor strength with things like band walking and the Myrtl routine while essentially ignoring my adductors. I guess this could all be a "simple" issue of weak adductors becoming overloaded because of a strength imbalance. I'll keep up with the Copenhagen exercise and hope I can get back to pain-free running sooner rather than later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Also, what makes you suggest it's a hip issue rather than the groin? I'm not disagreeing, I just always thought (naively) of hip as being more outside and front of the body and the groin being the inner thigh.

Lots of people do. The hip joint is basically in your upper groin area.

If it was muscular it should hurt when you contract or stretch the muscle.

You seem to be saying it hurts when the joint loads are the highest, running and especially running downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Groin strain. Recovery and preventative measures. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Northy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

You seem to be saying it hurts when the joint loads are the highest, running and especially running downhill.

That makes a lot of sense, it doesn't hurt when stretched or I use the muscle.

If it's not muscular then is it safe to assume it's an adductor tendon issue? Mine seems to be similar to what Matt mentioned above: "pain would ease during exercise, and get worse after."

Shortly after it started bothering me I started doing a bunch of adduction with a resistance band, crossing over midline (which I recently learned isn't recommended when your hip/groin is reactive and inflamed). It didn't hurt at all to do the exercises but I think I overdid them because it was worse the next day.

Sorry for all the questions but this has been really helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Northy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

If it's not muscular then is it safe to assume it's an adductor tendon issue? Mine seems to be similar to what Matt mentioned above: "pain would ease during exercise, and get worse after."

It could be any number of things, hip labrum, beginnings of arthritis, referred pain from elsewhere. The PT you're seeing should be able to rule various things out and come up with a diagnosis.
Quote Reply