Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Quote | Reply
I simply love Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Cheddar cheese in buttered white bread. Yum.

My father in law puts pickles in them and then sprinkles them with powdered sugar. Yuck!

Anybody have any other variations on this classic sandwich?

Disclaimer: First, it's not tri-related, but it's Friday, WhooHoo! Second: anyone who responds "They ain't good for blah blah blah" are not right in the head!
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not use american slices. Use sherraded montery jack and cheddar. Use texas toast slice bread. Side order of tomato soup manditory.

Next to fajitas, grilled cheese is the only reason you need to live.

I give this thread 11 out of 10.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Jan 30, 04 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The classic variation here in NYC includes thick cut bacon and tomato. Side of fries, well done, plenty of salt. After a big workout on Saturday, that is a nice reward.

Sometime I do sourdough bread, jack cheese with pablano pepper laid in. It's sort of my south of the border grilled cheese.
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, grilled cheese=good!

BUT:

Freshly ground peanut butter with raspberry jelly on a whole wheat tortilla after a long ride or run (or just when I'm sitting around on my ass)=sublime!

I win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During my summers home from college, for a few hours in the mnorning I'd babysit a couple of neighborhood kids [i.e. I'd fix em lunch and they'd play Nintendo or swim for a couple hours]. They called grilled cheese sandwiches "cheese toasties", and as unmasculine [*grin*] as it is that name stuck with me.

I'm a grown man and I call them "cheese toasties". Personally, I prefer to eat them with tomato soup, potato soup, or NE clam chowder . They are just perfect for dipping into the soup or stand alone.

At rick of ridicule, PBJ's are it for me. I ate the natural PB for a few years, but am now back to creamy Jif. Damn those trans-fatty acids all to hell ... or a cleaner version ... Darn those TFA's all to heck.

It kind of interesting throughout all of our advanced tastes we still come back to grilled cheese and PBJ's. Next someone is going to make a post about macaroni-n-cheese.

Just like training ... you always come back to the basics.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did someone say Grilled Cheese on Fridays?

I make the worlds best grilled cheese sandwiches with Extra Sharp Vermont Cheaddar on Suzie's homemade 7 Gain Whole Wheat Bread. (hand made no machine for this girl). This is served with homemade from fresh Florida tomatoes Suzies Cream of Tomato Soup. I have this on a Tuesday or Thursdays when I am a Vegetarian and some tmes on Fridays when I can't eat meat.

But when I crave carbs, which is often, I fix a mac and cheese with a cheese béchamel sauce.

Suzie

Suzie's cookbook is on sale in the lobby as you leave.
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [Tri-Suzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn! I am hungry! How big does that portfolio have to be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best GCS requires the perfect bread- Acme Bakery pain au levain. The world's best bread IMHO. Baked in Berkeley, California and now in S.F., too. It will elevate your mere grilled cheese sandwich to a transcendent level of scrumptiousness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GRILLED CHEESES RULE!!

Agree with the above poster 11 out of 10
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [happywanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's mine! Go wander somewhere else!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only on this forum could a thread on grilled cheese sandwiches end in a "cock-block".

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man she claims to rock the grilled cheese. What more could you wnat?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is that I'm sitting at my desk, drooling all over the place, absolutely DYING for a grilled cheese sandwich, and I've still got 45 minutes to go. Sigh.

I plan on taking two slices of potato bread, buttering both, throwing some colby-jack and salami inside, and popping that baby on the ol' George Foreman grill for a couple minutes.

(I think I'm going to pass out in anticipation)

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two slices of white bread, two slices of Kraft American, one slice of Oscar Meyer bologna in between. Yeah baby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta get a slice of tomato in there... I love good cheese but there is somethign about grilled cheese with american...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe you guys left out the "sides" that are required with every grilled-cheese sandwich:

Ruffles (with ridges) potato chips and a tall glass of ice-cold Coca Cola!

They are followed closely by the original size (i.e. the skinny 1/2" wide ones) Fritos, but then you'd also have to bring in the Borden's French Onion dip... and if it were summer, then you'd need a watermelon...

It's 5 o'clock... man... I need to find an old-fashioned pharmacy with a fountain and grill (where grease is an ingredient) on my way home!!!

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grilled cheese + avocado is very very good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just about every great combination is listed and some I have not previously thought of, but....the best grilled cheese of recent memory for me was a very plain white bread version with 2 slices of American cheese. What made this sandwich so amazing was that I purchased it from a warm roadside cafe (Hidden Springs) on the Angeles Forest Highway (So Cal mountains) last December about 5 1/2 hours into an epic 8 hr. ride. It was a 40 degree day with snow flurries in the upper elevations and 10,000' of climbing, descending was painfully cold. I will remember that grilled cheese until I die and I have been talking about it even before this post! When my Wife gets home I am going to offer to make dinner tonight....
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dad,

Enjoy it while you can. Everything in your post will one day be illegal. It is the cause of obesity, and will not be tolerated. You are a dairy, cheesy, greasy, salty food eating person. You are a loaded weapon. [Reference to another thread on obesity and fast & junk food]

As far as Fritos go ... I'm a chili cheese guy.

The old style pharmacy you're talking about ... we used to get a grilled cheese sandwiches at Woolworth's ... a sort of department store, pharmacy, with a small dine in area. Woolworth's is now closed and GCS's are hard to find.

----------------------------------------------

Never tried making a GCS with Potato Bread. Love potato bread ... never made toast or GCS out of it though. On my to do list.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Next someone is going to make a post about macaroni-n-cheese.

I eat mac n cheese all the time. I add some steamed broccoli and a can of tuna, leave out the butter and use skim milk. Sometimes I add grilled onions. Mmm...

Old roomies version: leave out the cheese powder, adds peas, broccoli, tuna, and a can of cream of mushroom soup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Enjoy it while you can. Everything in your post will one day be illegal. It is the cause of obesity, and will not be tolerated. You are a dairy, cheesy, greasy, salty food eating person. You are a loaded weapon. [Reference to another thread on obesity and fast & junk food] "

TTT, you just don't get it do you? Here's a good read for you.

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/22/04/16.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So who all had grilled cheese for dinner? I did.

There is no excuse for the term cheese toasties. Even for little kids. It needs to stop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are all heathens. There is only one way to prepare a proper grilled cheese.

2 slices of Wonder Bread
one Kraft American Cheese Slice
real butter (lots)

cook till golden brown, and serve with ketchup.

As you were.
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no question that obesity is a problem in our society... both with adults and children. I tend to forget it, but every time my family and friends come to visit from Holland, they remark how "fat" everyone here is. I don't think, however, it's WHAT we eat (because they serve their share of crap in Holland, too), as much as other things. My Dutch friends and family comment on how much" we eat, how large the portions are, and how we use cars to get everywhere, even someplace just a mile away.

My kids and I eat grilled cheese (and Ruffles) ... but... they actually play outside, we don't watch TV except on Saturdays, we don't "super-size", and we walk or use our bikes to get places as often as we can! That, combined with the sports we play, and a gracious helping of mom and dad's genes, keeps the three of us skinny and eatin' grilled cheese sandwiches.

Hey... speaking of food and obesity... has anybody tried Blue Bell vanilla bean ice cream? Or how about Promised Land Egg Nog during the holidays? Man... talk about completing a grilled cheese sandwich!!

;-)

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Jan 30, 04 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ID, you've obviously missed my other posts and TT's responses on other threads regarding my USA/obesity/Bush/fast food campaign money/UN/WHO/ etc rants.

I eat an occassional grilled cheese also and love it. I know it won't hurt. That's not the problem. I agree with you - it's big portions, high fat content and lack of exercise. We're in 100% agreement.

TT appreciates this point but in his religious right wing conservative point of view feels that junk food manufacturers have a right to fatten America. Unrestricted open captalism. In contrast, I believe they are hurting society and feel that legislation to force them to produce healthier food is more than justified. And IMO, the sooner the better. That's why the UN/WHO is so concerned - they don't want this spreading to the rest of the world. Imagine the health devastation if McDonald's goes into every third world country.

I also feel what is really hurting the image of the USA on the world stage is the "fattening of America" more so than any foreign war or dumb ass president. A leader is supposed to lead by example and this is one example the rest of the world by well advised not to follow. The world image of an American is now as a fatty. Compare that with just fifty years ago. Obesity within another generation or two could become America's "fall of Rome".

One third of American adults are obese and another third are over weight. BTW, I'm a Canuk but I assume our stats are fairly similiar, so on this issue it's fair to lump us together.

I'm sympathetic in realizing that in some cases genetics plays a part, but in most it's lifestyle. When I was in high school in the late 60's/early 70's obese kids were quite rare. A recent study claimed that in Houston 40% of teenagers are over weight. Obesity is associated with higher rates of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, gall bladder disease and some forms of cancer. So what health problems are these over weight teenagers likely to have by middle age?

It's a potentially very serious problem. Some people may ask what does my anti-junk food/ I hate McDonald's posts have to do with triathlon, but as Slowman posted "this is a lifestyle forum for triathletes". We should be concerned, for the future of our society and for the health of our kids and grandkids.

BTW, I'm a dad also with two athletic non over weight teenagers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next