Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Griffen Vulcan
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a new tri-bike for my wife. I recently found a good deal on a Griffen Vulcan frameset. Anybody have any experience with this bike? I have heard good things about it as far as being a light, aero frame. How is it for long distances (ironman racing) as far as comfort.

My wife is 5'7'', this frame is a 54 cm with 650 wheels.

Thanks
Mark Roberts
Quote Reply
Re: Griffen Vulcan [mdroberts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  They are very good tribikes if the fit is right. The only down side and I am not sure if the 650's are that way is that they build the rear wheel clearance tight. On some of the 700 bikes a 22mm tire is as big as will fit in some of their frames. I would check that out before I bought one. G[reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
email Bruce @ www.dragonsports.net with your questions. He is a Grifffen dealer/rider and a triathlete/race director. He has always been very helpful in answering my dumb questions even if I do not buy anything from him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced Griffen for a season. The bike was great. Pretty much everything they claim about the frame material I found to be true. The ride was great; it really absorbs road vibrations. The frame is not particularly light compared to others in that price range (or well under it for that matter). Aerodynamics are good, but not the absolute best. It has external cable routing and the rear wheel fairing is not as good as say the P3. When I was looking for a better fit, I spoke extensively with one of the owners (Tony Free if I remember correctly). We decided I would fit best on either the 52 or 51. In the end I couldn't afford a new Griffen frame and found a better deal on a 51 cm P3 frame. I am completely satisfied with my current fit.

The frame I had was a 55 and too big for me. I bought it knowing it was too big, but got a deal I couldn't pass up. I am 5'8" with a 31" inseam. What I'm saying is that the bike is great, but probably too big for your wife at 5'7". You might be able to make it work like I did (really short stem, seat all the way forward) but why not wait for the right frame to come along?

Chris Sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Griffen Vulcan [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I will probably hold off on the frame because I agree fit is the most important factor even more so than getting a great deal. Its funny how variable the right fit can be. I ride a P3 as well. Im 5'9" but have a 33 inch inseam. I ended up on a 55 cm P3. I ride it with the seatpost flipped forward but still have to have a short stem (80mm). I'm comfortable on it though. The 52 cm P3 probably would have been a better fit in the top tube but may have been to short. Or I would have had a mile of seatpost.

Mark Roberts
Quote Reply