Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great Floridian or Ironman Florida?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to do my first Iron distance race in 2004. The closest venue for me is Florida. The Great Floridian is in late October, and the Ironman Florida is in early November. What are the differences between the two races, if any? Any comments/reflections on either of the two races or both is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian or Ironman Florida? [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done them both and I vote for IMFL. There is nothing, to me, like a true Ironman event. From the number of spectators and athletes, to the organization, to the expo, I think the WTC puts on a great show. The Great Floridian was a good race to - just not as flashy. If you're a first timer who doesn't want to mix it up on the swim with 2000 others than maybe the GFT is the better choice, but I can't find to many other reasons not to choose an Ironman over any other race. Just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

I just went through this exercise last year and selected IMF. I live in Orlando and train weekly on the GFT course (have done the half IMs at both venues). The two courses are fundamentally different:

GFT - short, steep hills (tough course); IMF - flat and fast

GFT - this year a 2-loop bike course; IMF - one loop

GFT - typically hot (this last weekend plus-85 degrees); IMF - a bit cooler

GFT - typically windy (seems you never have a tailwind); IMF - windy, but not as bad

GFT - some tough hills in first 6 miles of the run; IMF - dead flat

GFT - some run shade, but not much; IMF - no run shade

GFT - flat, easy lake swim; IMF - ocean (sometimes flat, sometimes 5 foot and rough seas)

GFT - usually wetsuit legal, but darn close call most years; IMF - water usually colder

GFT - smaller field (700 this year); IMF - Over 1800 entrants (so swim can be a bit more brutal)

GFT - accomodations not as available unless you go to Orlando (30 minutes away); IMF - hotels galore (waffle house every corner)

GFT - alligators; IMF - bull sharks (just kidding)

GFT - no rush to sign up (doesn't fill up) and race organizer is flexible if something comes up; IMF - fills very quickly (last year within 5 days) and you lose all or most of your money if you pull out.

I chose IMF because I am a fast flats rider. Hills kills me. That was my primary factor. I was 2 MPH faster on the 1/2 course in Panama City, as compared to my performance at the GFT 1/2.

Good luck.

Robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the GFT. Great first timer experience, true dedicated organization. Although ironman corporation gets most of attention, true grass roots or independent races like GFT offer as many amenities, but also have a much more relaxed atmosphere. Another bonus of GFT is learning that Florida does have hilly country.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian or Ironman Florida? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done IMF, but I did GFT last weekend. RA's list is dead on, which is why I would give the nod to GFT.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Floridian or Ironman Florida? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been to both races, but have not competed at them. I would do IMFL even though I live in Clermont. GFT is a nice race, but there is something about that M-Dot! Maybe it's Mike Rielly saying "You are an Ironman" at the finishline. Beats Jerry McNeil saying "Your are an Iron distance finisher" at the finishline in Clermont. Z
Quote Reply