Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel routes west Houston
Quote | Reply
I'll be in the West Houston area for an extended weekend and I was looking for some gravel routes. Maybe 2-3 hours of ride time. I have vehicle, so I can drive out to the start if need be. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel routes west Houston [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of routes (a 30 mile and a 43 mile) here: Gravel Club - Gravel roads that seemingly have no end and off the beaten path exploration of the Houston Region (ridewithgps.com)

Maybe one of these will work for you. Sealy is about 20 miles west of Katy.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I'll be in the West Houston area for an extended weekend and I was looking for some gravel routes. Maybe 2-3 hours of ride time. I have vehicle, so I can drive out to the start if need be. Thanks!

There is some gravel riding on the west side reservoir but there is some construction out there so it might be hit or miss. it'll only be 10-12 miles anyhow. for longer routes you'll want to head out to Bellville. Check out these routes:

https://gravelmap.com/....61/29.9875/-96.2119

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinistry puts on gravel races all over Texas. As a member, you can get access to a lot of different routes that they have on ridewithgps. I'm not a member (i've just done a bunch of their events), so I'm not able to see how many routes they have west of Houston. Here is a public route they have on ridewithgpd that starts west of houston:
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/54291405
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you said you have a car and are willing to drive, Chappell Hill is where you want to go. Depending on where you are in west Houston, it should be able a 30-45 min drive for you but it's worth it. There's an endless number of routes out there on RideWithGPS but here's a few for you to consider:

36 miles - Did this one on Easter at a leisurely pace looking at wildflowers. Took about 2.5 hrs. No water stops.

52 miles - I've done this one many time. Water stop at 26 miles. You can also shave off 5 miles by not making the short out-and-back at mile 24 that takes you to Industry for a water stop.

There is a Valero gas station at the start location. Most people park here off to the side of the store. Management is ok with this. Clean bathrooms and I always try to buy something after my ride to show my appreciation of their support. If you're there around 7:30 to 8:00 am there should be one or more group rides starting.

Let me know if you'd like any longer routes.
Quote Reply