Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel bike for a full Ironman?
Quote | Reply
The answer for me is always N+1, but i'm budget concious. I currently ride a CAAD10 that I was going to put clip on bars. Now that it's getting into the winter i'm looking at a used Trek Checkpoint gravel bike. It's spec'ed about the same as the CAAD10 with 105 component level, but it's carbon. Will I notice much difference in time on one bike or the other? From what I understand clip ons and aero position make more of a difference than the aero bike frame.

I can probably justify having both bikes, but the checkpoint is an upgrade to a CF frame. It's easier to sell the higher price to my wife if I sell the CAAD10. The main drive in getting a gravel bike is for winter riding, I'm really looking for a cheap CX bike that I can leave fenders on but I came across what looks like a good deal on the checkpoint
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike for a full Ironman? [GOAT12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was suppose to be my last year doing triathlons. Now it looks like next year since all registrations were pushed out. Regardless I sold my tri bike this summer. Now I'm down to a gravel bike (new Warbird) and a mountain bike. I will be riding my gravel bike in the triathlons. I'm thinking of buying basic aero wheels (used flos, lightbicycle, etc.) for these races.

Quote | Reply
I'd say not that much of a difference. The geometry is several cm different in stack/reach, so you have to take that into account if you're shooting for a specific position.

Goes without saying, but you want to be sure to run true road tires on the gravel bike for the actual event. Gravel tires are sloooow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravel bikes tend to have a less aggressive riding position, I’d say just make sure you’re able to comfortably get into your aero bars on the checkpoint, other wise you probably aren’t really gaining an advantage with a carbon bike you can’t get aero on over a slightly heavier heavy bike you can be aero on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Salsa Warbird. I love the bike. It is my all around do anything bike. But having said that I can't imagine "racing" it 112 miles even with the Zipp road wheels I have for it. But I love tri bikes and I love the comfort of a properly fitted tri bike. Sure you could do it, but I wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a gravel ride my buddy was on a checkpoint with aero bars. He rode fast I would swap out the tires for road tires. He is getting another set of wheels for the road and a different cassette. But the answer is yes do it. His is the ls7 and is really lite even in the gravel setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike for a full Ironman? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a CX bike (Trek Crockett) for IM Chatty last year, 42x11-32 I think, no aero bars, only change from stock was 25mm road tires, when I wanted to get low or rest my hands I put my forearms on the hoods. Wasnt super fast but loved every minute of it. N=1 is totally a thing sometimes.
Quote Reply