Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gravel bike as IM race bike too?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to replace my old road bike that I've used for IM races w/ clip on aerobars for the past 4 years. I'd like a bike that can do more though and I still want to do full IMs. I really only have space and money for 1 bike right now. Anyone use their gravel bike with clip on aerobars and slick tires for a full IM? What, if any downfalls would I be looking at...gearing limits, less aero, a bit slower? I'm not a top notch racer, more of a MOP, so I'm not looking to break any records. Thanks for any insights!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [ActiveGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem at all with doing that.
Ideally you would have a skinny tyre wheelset and a fat tyre one as changing tubeless tyres is a hassle.
Gearing shouldn't be a problem, my gravel bike takes 50-34 on the front which is plenty for most people in IM.
If you can justify a Cervelo Aspero or 3T Exploro - those have aero features so you won't be at too much of a disadvantage compared to most road bikes.
Will be a bit heavier, but every disc brake bike is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ActiveGirl wrote:
I'm not a top notch racer, more of a MOP, so I'm not looking to break any records.
You have told yourself all you need to know.Go ahead and get the bike you want and not the bike some strangers think you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What, if any downfalls would I be looking at...gearing limits, less aero, a bit slower? I'm not a top notch racer, more of a MOP, so I'm not looking to break any records. Thanks for any insights!

I'd say no downfalls - go for it.

I've stood that the side of the road at many IM races at about 80km - 100km in. I see MANY triathletes sitting bolt upright on the aero base bars, riding along. And it appears this is not a momentary phenomenon - they are spending a considerable amount of time riding their super-aero tri bike like that!

That's why years ago, I started advocating - if that's you, just use a road bike for your IM bike leg. If time/place does not matter. If those 10 - 15min that you may give up on the bike because of that don't matter, then just ride a road bike - (or in this case your gravel bike with some road wheels on it) Of course years ago when I would suggest this strategy, many here and elsewhere would go nuts . . . going on and on and on about how much faster people would be on an aero tri bike, completely ignoring the fact, they really don't care about those 10 min lost!!

Who knows - you might run faster/better, after riding in a more comfortable position for YOU, on the bike. :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to the 3T Exploro. Perfect option for this. 2 wheelsets = ideal for sure.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And whatever choice you make, let us know about it here.

You may be a trend setter.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this thread. Considering same. Interested to see what bubbles up here...

Another thing going for this option is that some brands are making it so you switch between 650 and 700 wheels, so that’s handy for tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thought would be to pick a model that has a standard round seatpost, so that you can get a second seatpost with a forward offset (or a seatpost that can be used backwards). And a tri-specific saddle to put on it.

Also a bike that uses a standard stem without any fancy internal routing, that can be replaced with something of a different length and/or angle to help dial in your aero bar fit.

That will go a long way towards putting you in a good, comfortable yet efficient position. Remember that your body contributes significantly more aero drag than the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [insulinpowered] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insulinpowered wrote:
Thanks for posting this thread. Considering same. Interested to see what bubbles up here...

Another thing going for this option is that some brands are making it so you switch between 650 and 700 wheels, so that’s handy for tri.

How is switching between 650 and 700 size wheels handy for tri?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ridley Kanzo Fast is another option - pretty aero gravel bike - throw on some narrower tires and it should do pretty well when compared to a regular road bike.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 3T Exploro Race Max. (and love it) The flexibility of riding 650b beefier tires/wheels for gravel/mtn and then swapping out 700c aero road wheels is my primary n=1 gravel/road bike plus. Agree, swapping between the two isn't necessarily a tri benefit but definitely an overall do-it-all bike benefit. Before too long, I will be old enough (and slow enough) to give up on the dedicated TT bike for tri/IM racing. I just need to decide when that is!

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first season of triathlon was on a cyclocross bike with canti brakes I treated as a road bike. No reason I couldn't have done an Ironman on it. You will probably want to look into some forward set seatpost though. Very likely you won't be able to get far forward enough with whatever is default.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem at all.

I've finished Ironman 13 times (10 times including qualifying and racing Kona on a Road Bike with clip-ons).

Buy the bike you'll love riding the most. Then, do the events/challenges you'll love pursuing the most.

Best of luck,
JCP
Sage Factory Racing Team
http://www.sagetitanium.com

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like that bike has V brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Woops. Correct. Pretty terrible to center for some reason...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Well, v-brakes are just sidepull cantis!
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jan 20, 21 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it. The biggest difference between a road bike and TT/Tri bike is the rider position. A gravel bike with suitable gearing and tyres won't be dramatically different to the road bike. In fact I suspect, without checking, that most gravel bikes will be MORE suitable if you're going the route of clip-ons and a forward saddle position for races. This is because I think they generally have a longer wheelbase and shallower headtube angle which should give more stability. Can anyone more familiar with gravel bike geometries confirm that?
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard of this brand, so I will look into it. Looks like it might be a good option. Possibly take it on downhill MTB trails too, although some suspension might be nice for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
puskas wrote:
Buy the bike you'll love riding the most. Then, do the events/challenges you'll love pursuing the most.

Such good advice. Seriously.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike as IM race bike too? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
My thought would be to pick a model that has a standard round seatpost, so that you can get a second seatpost with a forward offset (or a seatpost that can be used backwards). And a tri-specific saddle to put on it.

Also a bike that uses a standard stem without any fancy internal routing, that can be replaced with something of a different length and/or angle to help dial in your aero bar fit.

That will go a long way towards putting you in a good, comfortable yet efficient position. Remember that your body contributes significantly more aero drag than the frame.

This is really good advice. When aero bars were first available, TT bikes did not really exist with the correct geometry, so people moved the seats forward and dropped the bars. It worked fine, although it mode the bike a bit nose heavy. If you move the seat forward a bit and drop the bars a bit and run a stubby aero bar, you can maximize your road bike and still have decent handling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.jimthijs.com/...ning-triathlon-bike/

Scroll down through these pictures to the one of the Scott foil. Certainly the one x doesn't apply to your question but gravel bikes are certainly not much different than road bikes. Her position is great for this type of bike and with a little homework and the right saddle there's no reason anyone else couldn't achieve the same thing on a road bike or gravel bike so I say go for it.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Jan 23, 21 10:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a cyclocross bike with a set of road tires for my first IM. My goal was to finish and enjoy the race. I don't regret it at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve seen people doing IMs on MTBs. No idea if they finish within the time limit, but it’s possible, just slower.

As someone with every type of bike under the sun (TT, aero road, lightweight road, endurance road, gravel, etc.), I will tell you each bike does indeed excel at the purpose for which it was designed and has its own unique character. While you might not be trying to KQ, presumably you’re still racing an IM and want to be as fast as you can...

My first question would be what kind of riding do you do the most of (road or gravel) and optimize for that. I know a lot of people with gravel bikes who do like 10% of their riding which actually necessitates a true gravel bike. You can do a lot on 30-32c tires which many endurance bikes now fit. I’ve run 30s on my Venge, and I think it could fit 32s.

Your doing IM. That’s pretty serious road riding. Are you doing the gravel equivalent? If not, maybe gravel is where you compromise not IM?

Your position, aero suit fit, and helmet all probably add up to a bigger aero difference than the frame. So optimize those things.

You might also consider two bikes at a slightly lower spec.

The 3T Exploro with two wheel sets (probably 700x28 and 650 x 47) as others have suggest would probably be my choice if I really only could have one bike for everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ActiveGirl wrote:
I'm looking to replace my old road bike that I've used for IM races w/ clip on aerobars for the past 4 years. I'd like a bike that can do more though and I still want to do full IMs. I really only have space and money for 1 bike right now. Anyone use their gravel bike with clip on aerobars and slick tires for a full IM? What, if any downfalls would I be looking at...gearing limits, less aero, a bit slower? I'm not a top notch racer, more of a MOP, so I'm not looking to break any records. Thanks for any insights!

I wouldn't go with the exploro or any other 1x setup, I don't think, if you want to use it for IM racing. Get one with a normal road 2x gearing up front.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next