Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Tire: Vittoria Randonneur Cross (all-around tire) or Schwalbe Sammy Slick (cx tire)
Quote | Reply
I've had a CAADX for a while now, and I haven't really used it much. I am behind the curve and want to start exploring some gravel routes in the area. When I bought the bike, the prior owner had a set of Vittoria Randonneur Cross tires he used for urban/commuting and threw in a set of Schwalbe Sammy Slicks that are more of a traditional "off road" tire. The Vittoria is heavy and seems bombproof, which is the only reason I'm considering using these tires off-road. Otherwise, the Schwalbes would seem to be the call (although not technically a "gravel" tire).

I don't want to really buy *another* set of tires if these tires will serve my desire to do some long gravel rides/climbs. Which set would be better for gravel?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Apr 27, 20 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tire: Vittoria Randonneur Cross (all-around tire) or Schwalbe Sammy Slick (cx tire) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither are good tires. The sammy slick would be slightly better. They're both bombproof as you said, but the low tpi means they're heavy and have high rolling resistance. Just like road tires, higher tpi gravel tires provide more grip, lower rolling resistance and lower weight.

Going from the 35mm sammy slick to some tubeless 35mm panaracer gravel kings saved 2 pounds of rotating weight off my bike and they roll noticeably better too.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tire: Vittoria Randonneur Cross (all-around tire) or Schwalbe Sammy Slick (cx tire) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a CAADX that came with Sammy Slicks. They were the wire bead version of that tire. They are pretty heavy, and definitely can't be run tubeless. They do seem pretty tough though, and the tread pattern isn't terrible. If you're just looking at exploring some new areas and don't really care about speed or comfort, they will be fine. Since you'll have tubes, you'll probably have to run higher than ideal tire pressures, so it might not be as much fun as riding gravel with a plush tubeless setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tire: Vittoria Randonneur Cross (all-around tire) or Schwalbe Sammy Slick (cx tire) [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here - had a CAADX with Sammy Slicks and even road a 95mile gravel grinder with significant climbing in WA. Maybe not the ideal tire as they are heavy, but I certainly wasn't going to win anyway and they were fine for traction (a little extra weight isn't relevant to me unless I was seriously racing). If you are just exploring, they are more than fine so run them till they wear out and upgrade then. No sense removing a perfectly good tire!
Quote Reply