Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Gearing
Quote | Reply
I just read Slowman's front page Sram article where he indicates he believes 43/30 is the ideal chain rings for gravel...having signed up for a 5 day Gravel Ride in Oregon this summer, i am starting to give consideration to equipment and was wondering what those with experienced in Gravel recommend for both chain rings and Cassette? 43/30 with an 11/28?
Last edited by: Zulu: Feb 19, 19 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know how well you climb, but if you want to save your legs you need 1:1. so that low is 30\28 which is not quite 1:1 but close. If you are the adventure backpacker type you might even want to go lower.

My bike is currently 48/32 with 11/34 cassette. so 32\34 give me slightly better then 1:1 ratio. With the steepness of the ramps near me... I'm actually thinking of getting 11-40t or 10-42t in the back. I have to deal with 15-20% grades.. I want to spin.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Climbing is not my strength - i currently run a 50:34 and have just added a wolftooth roadlink to fit an 11:40 at the back. Only had one ride so far so the jury is still out...was thinking i may prefer the smaller chain rings for a more normal cassette without having to use the roadlink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 50/34 on the front. On the rear, i use 11/32 for most racing. At Crusher in the Tushars i used an 11/36. Despite what SRAM recommends, the WiFli RD will work with a 36, but you have may have to adjust the b-limit screw and run the right size chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No matter what, by day 5 you're going to wish you had lower gears at SOME point.

I live in the Cascade foothills, and gravel rides around here will test out a 1:1 gear system pretty thoroughly. My next groad bike will be sporting 42/26 up front and 11-28 in back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
43/30 and the 11/40!

The first day or two, you may pop into the tiny combo and laugh at how ridiculous it is. By the 5th day, I bet you'll like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 46/36 in the front and a 11/36. For the most part I seem fine just I tend to spin out on big hills but that is fine as they are generally times to save energy. I can also get up any hill in my area (I live in cornfields).

I think it all depends on the region and what type of gravel you are riding.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Feb 19, 19 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No matter what, by day 5 you're going to wish you had lower gears at SOME point. "

Yeah i've done a couple of transalps and knowing me probably by day 3 i'll be wanting more gears:-)

Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
43/30 and the 11/40!

The first day or two, you may pop into the tiny combo and laugh at how ridiculous it is. By the 5th day, I bet you'll like it.

can i ask what brand / model of crank / chainrings you are running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about the Oregon Trail? I looked at the routes for that and it seems pretty bonkers. Definitely error on the low side for gearing. I hover in the mid to high 3 w/kg area and typically run a 42 up front and 11-40 rear. I'm not here to evangelize about 1x vs 2x, it's just what has worked for me over a few years of gravel riding and racing with a somewhat average power output. 42 x 11 is as fast as I ever need for a true gravel event with some occasional road.

If you're looking at 5 days (with the first three looking brutal), you want to be in the high/mid 20 gear inch range with a ~40 mm tire. Day 3 of the Oregon Trail starts with a 22 mile climb averaging 4% and right after that is a 5.2 mile climb averaging 6.4%. It's not that any of those are extreme, but you add all that up over hours and days and notice the double digit inclines popping up in the first three days.....you're going to want some bail out gears or walking shoes.

If you're committed to 2x a 50-34 and 11-34 in the back should might you low enough. A 46-30 crankset (with an 11-32, 11-34, or even 11-36) would probably be preferable if you're able to get one and it works with your front derailleur. If 1x is an option, the 11-40, 11-42, or 10-42 mt bike cassette with a chainring in the 38-42 range is probably what you're looking for. There may even be a point where you're more comfortable walking. Looks like you have a bit of experience of riding though.
Last edited by: dangle: Feb 19, 19 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you didn't ask me....but

Absolute Black rings on DA9100 cranks 48/32
Cassette 11-34t (shimano HG-something) ultegra level basically
Cassettes I want 1. SRAM XG-1199 10-42t or 2. Shimano XTR M9001 11-40t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
I just read Slowman's front page Sram article where he indicates he believes 43/30 is the ideal chain rings for gravel...having signed up for a 5 day Gravel Ride in Oregon this summer, i am starting to give consideration to equipment and was wondering what those with experienced in Gravel recommend for both chain rings and Cassette? 43/30 with an 11/28?

Depends on you and on the route.

If this "5 day Gravel Ride in Oregon" is the Oregon Trail Gravel Grinder, then there are multiple days of mountainous riding averaging >100ft/mile. I'm not familiar with the exact elevation profile, but my experience in the Seattle-area Cascades is that those sorts of days sometimes feature spots that average >10% for a mile or more at a time, with stretches above 15%. And it's loose rocky crap, so you can't just boost your torque for short stretches by getting out of the saddle and chopping at the cranks.

I'm in roughly the ability range of regional cat-3 pack fodder, and I've got a 24-28 on my gravel bike, which is about a 22" gear with my wheels. Sometimes even that feels uncomfortably high. Some of my friends tackle gravel rides with more road-like gearing, but they end up performing noticeably worse relative to me than they do on our road rides.

If you're unsure, err very low.

I wouldn't worry about high-end gearing much at all.
It is possible to do a fairly wide-range drivetrain if you want it. My gravel bike has a 48-11 top gear in addition to that 24-28 low gear. Obviously the death of triples hinders getting nice spacing over those kinds of ranges, though.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Feb 19, 19 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
52/34 w/ 11/36 cassette...Alls the gears :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's the one!!! based on what i am seeing here probably going to get absolute black 46:30 chain rings for insurance....and skip the power i currently run...

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My CX bike switches between a 38 or 42 1X ring with 11/40. For fast courses, I pack a 11/32, but haven't bothered putting it on yet. For long gravel climbs, I love that 38/40 combo.

For comparison, my road bike is 52/34 with a 11/32. I like gear range and I use them all. It also helps that I am not too picky about cadence. Anything between 75-100 is fine, so big jumps don't bother me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I tried Absolute black 46x30 rings and they work very well with an 11-36 but there are definitely times when I would really like a 40 on the back. At some point, if I go to 11-speed, I am doing 11-40 or 11-42. At the end of longer rides and on long sustained beasts, you either need 250 watts at your disposal or something pretty low. If I had not bought a cheap left-arm power meter to pair with a 105 crankset and the Absolute Black rings, I would try the White Industries VBC crank and either 44-28 or 42-26. Unless you ride with a group, even an MTB 36x24 is not unbearable.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Gearing [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
I tried Absolute black 46x30 rings and they work very well with an 11-36 but there are definitely times when I would really like a 40 on the back. At some point, if I go to 11-speed, I am doing 11-40 or 11-42. At the end of longer rides and on long sustained beasts, you either need 250 watts at your disposal or something pretty low. If I had not bought a cheap left-arm power meter to pair with a 105 crankset and the Absolute Black rings, I would try the White Industries VBC crank and either 44-28 or 42-26. Unless you ride with a group, even an MTB 36x24 is not unbearable.

roadlink or goatlink would get you there and from what I heard the rx805 clutched RD from shimano (if you run shimano) would get you the 40 for sure.. and maybe 42.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Feb 19, 19 18:13
Quote Reply