Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Bike Pedals
Quote | Reply
I know that this is not exactly a triathlon-related question, but ST has a good base of members with wide knowledge...so let me ask a gravel bike question.

My soon to be 22 kid is getting a gravel bike; a Cannondale Topstone Carbon 5, to be specific. Like most bikes it comes without pedals. Since I know next to nothing about gravel bikes, I am wondering what you would recommend for pedals. The current thinking is that the pedal would allow clip-in on one side and be flat on the other side for just riding around town, to the market, etc. in street shoes.

Thoughts, recommendations and any other pedal advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Pedals [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Shimano XTRs on my gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on Crank Bros Eggbeaters for many years. The Candies add a bit of platform. They are easy in/out. I've ejected a few time on my mtb.

I put them on my gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano (I use XTs) and Crankbrothers are the two primary go-tos for people. Ultimately it's personal preference. I've tried both and like Shimano better. Mainly because of the little larger platform on the standard pedal and the ability to adjust how tight the release is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
Since I know next to nothing about gravel bikes, I am wondering what you would recommend for pedals.
Usually something from the "MTB" side of the spectrum, for walkability and so that the cleats don't get chewed up and clogged from stepping on chunky and mucky surfaces. So if you're going with Shimano, the two-bolt SPD options are a much safer bet than the 3-bolt road SPD-SL pedals.

Quote:
The current thinking is that the pedal would allow clip-in on one side and be flat on the other side for just riding around town, to the market, etc. in street shoes.
If you want a platform side, the Shimano PD-EH500 is a good bet, and should fit the aesthetics of most modern gravel bikes better than alternatives like the PD-M324.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is he already a regular rider? If so, go straight to double sided SPDs. If not, start with cheap plastic flats, and when he figures out that it's time to clip in, get double sided, shoes etc.

Point is - single sided wouldn't be ideal for gravel riding, and why would you buy a carbon gravel bike for going to the shops?

Get some PD-M520s.
Last edited by: MattyK: May 3, 21 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my two road bikes I use Shimano Dura Ace 9100 pedals. On my fat bike and my cross bike, I use the cross for gravel, I’ve been using Xpedo M-Force 8 with titanium axles for years and they work well. The three bearings spin very smooth.
Quote Reply