Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Bike Maintenance
Quote | Reply
I got a gravel bike at the beginning of the year and so far am loving every minute of it. What are the key bike maintenance items that I should be doing that may or may not be different than a tri or road bike? Also what are the frequency of those things? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just took it in last weekend after getting several spokes fixed and they went through everything while I was there but I would like to make sure I am doing everything to keep it in good working order since it gets a bit more abuse than my other bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wipe the dirt off every month or so.

What was wrong with the spokes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bike is a bike. For the most part, the only difference is in how often services need to be performed. Filthy conditions can cause drivetrain components like chains and cassettes to wear much more rapidly than they would in clean road rides, for example.

The added vibrations from gravel can cause rapid failure in things like poorly-mounted fenders that rattle, but that's a sort of thing that shouldn't be tolerated regardless of what surfaces a bike is ridden on.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat. New gravel bike last November. I find that I have to wash the bike a lot more and clean the drive train regularly. The other thing (which I haven't done yet), is check the Tubeless tires for sealent. Not sure how often that is needed. Bought the kit and sealent last week. Was told to check every 4-6 months and add more as needed. Not sure of a good way to do so.

Anyone have suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I check my sealant every 6 months or so as well. I just give the wheel a shake, if I can hear it sloshing, I'm good.
Last edited by: rijndael: Jul 1, 20 4:21
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One was broken and supposedly several others that were hanging on by a thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is more my concern of the drivetrain components. Currently I clean and re-lube the chain after every weekend of riding in addition to giving the bike a general wipe down. Should I be doing something with the jockey wheels, rear derailleur, hubs, etc. is what I don't know. What should I be doing to prolong the life of these items?
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
I'm in the same boat. New gravel bike last November. I find that I have to wash the bike a lot more and clean the drive train regularly. The other thing (which I haven't done yet), is check the Tubeless tires for sealent. Not sure how often that is needed. Bought the kit and sealent last week. Was told to check every 4-6 months and add more as needed. Not sure of a good way to do so.

Anyone have suggestions?

Remove the valve core and squirt a couple ounces of sealant in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
This is more my concern of the drivetrain components. Currently I clean and re-lube the chain after every weekend of riding in addition to giving the bike a general wipe down. Should I be doing something with the jockey wheels, rear derailleur, hubs, etc. is what I don't know. What should I be doing to prolong the life of these items?

Wipe the dirt off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSchmitt wrote:
One was broken and supposedly several others that were hanging on by a thread.

How did that happen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride gravel about 5 days a week. If it is a very dry conditions I could probably clean and lube the chain every other ride. I generally do it every other week though.

Even if I wash the bike very thoroughly, I still tend to find gravel dust in places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the same routine as my road and MTB bikes - wash the whole bike, deeper clean and lube the drivetrain, check everything over and adjust as needed (e.g. brakes). The gravel bike sits somewhere in the middle frequency-wise as it gets dirtier than the road bike but not as dirty as the MTB.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Maintenance [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question that I don't know the answer to. The spoke that was completely broken broke in the middle of a ride. I took the wheel off to take it to the shop rather than taking in the entire bike. Once it was fixed they asked to bring the bike in so they could make sure the derailleur wasn't messed up but everything seemed fine there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just gets dirtier. I make sure to wipe the crap off drivetrain after each ride but that’s mostly it. I keep one of those pump sprayers in my car and do a quick cleaning of the bike mainly after particularly muddy rides.
Quote Reply