Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Bike Help
Quote | Reply
So, I am rolling around on a 1997 Trek 1220 road bike that I use for riding with friends, and early/late season rides when the weather is cooler and the roads have more crap on them (live in Northern MN). Have been debating lately on just getting a new gravel bike that would take its place and also then give me the ability to ride gravel with friends.

So, I think I would like to stick with a 2X system as when I am out riding on the roads I would appreciate the tighter cassette spacing for the same range of gears. Do not need electronic unless there is a screaming deal on it. Have looked at the Cervelo Aspero, the Specialized Diverge and the Trek Checkpoint.

Looking for guidance on why one of these is better than the other? I feel ok understanding the drivetrain differences, but the wheels are new to me as gravel and disc brakes are totally new. I like the idea of tubeless as I want to try it on this bike before switching my tri bike to tubeless for next season.

Which bike and what model looks like the best deal?
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Help [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps another bike to look at, I recently purchased a Kestrel Ter-X and I'm pretty happy with it. Carbon frame and single chain ring up front. It doesn't have the shock in the stem. It's got mounts on the top tube and a bottle mount underneath. With muddy and dusty terrain I like the idea of having the single ring up front.

The bike is shipped with tubes but the setup is tubeless ready.

https://www.the-house.com/...z-kestrel-bikes.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Maine and use my gravel bike for pretty much the same reasons - gravel in the spring and summer, 'cross in the fall, on the road during the crappy-road period.

I am riding a Cannondale CAADX, which works fine for the purpose. My husband has a Checkpoint (carbon SL5: 105 is really pretty solid and ideal for that kind of riding, IMO) and really likes the way it rides and handles. I liked the Futureshock on the Diverge when I test-rode it; I found it made a difference in the ride quality. The Cervelo wasn't out when we were looking, but it certainly looks like no slouch.

In the end I couldn't justify the upgrade for me, but I did change the crankset to better meet my riding needs (I also stayed with 2X, but changed from 46/36 to 46/30). If you can pick up a 'cross bike for good money, that might be a good option for you too. That said - my husband is in love with his Checkpoint. He's thinking about getting a set of more road-oriented wheels so that he can use it as his primary bike all year round.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old school cable vs electronic = no-brainer.
Plus, tons cheaper.

I’m running out of fingers to count how many people I’ve seen get hosed by wonky/dead e-shifting setups.

2x > 1x for majority of people.

Tubeless on TT bike = waste of time/$.

Tubeless on gravel bike = good call.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the 3 you listed, Cervelo Aspero would be my choice... in fact, it's probably the best gravel bike out there right now, similar to OPEN UP and 3T in riding characteristics. The problem with a lot of the gravel bikes is that they are somewhat revised cyclocross bikes, and as such, they ride quite differently. The reason I like the Aspero is because it rides and feels like road bike in geo and handling, except it's more rugged and can handle tires up to 42c. On top of that, I think the prices of the Asperos are right on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
So, I am rolling around on a 1997 Trek 1220 road bike that I use for riding with friends, and early/late season rides when the weather is cooler and the roads have more crap on them (live in Northern MN). Have been debating lately on just getting a new gravel bike that would take its place and also then give me the ability to ride gravel with friends.

So, I think I would like to stick with a 2X system as when I am out riding on the roads I would appreciate the tighter cassette spacing for the same range of gears. Do not need electronic unless there is a screaming deal on it. Have looked at the Cervelo Aspero, the Specialized Diverge and the Trek Checkpoint.

Looking for guidance on why one of these is better than the other? I feel ok understanding the drivetrain differences, but the wheels are new to me as gravel and disc brakes are totally new. I like the idea of tubeless as I want to try it on this bike before switching my tri bike to tubeless for next season.

Which bike and what model looks like the best deal?

If you're ok with the easy button, and they have your size, it is hard to beat this deal. I helped set up a co-worker on one of these this past spring and it has been fantastic for him. https://www.excelsports.com/...major=8&minor=16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
of the 3...I'd choose a Cervelo as well... just seems like a N of 1 type a bike for the non Cat racer.

Electronic - I've never regretted it in the 5 years+ I've been using it.
Go Hydro.. dont bother with mechanical disc brakes
Tubeless is no-brainer for Gravel... hell I'd even use tubeless on TT if you are someone that does not need to run like 100psi, because honestly the higher pressure = less likely to seal. I've had it seal on my road bike up to 75psi.
2x if you are cadence sensitive
1x if you are not
Last edited by: spntrxi: Sep 24, 19 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Help [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a compelling option. Great price for Ultegra mechanical. Trying to think of size. Probably a 56 but not sure. I am 5'10.5" and ride a large trek speed concept but wish I had gone with the medium.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Help [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love di2 on my tri bike, but looking to go a bit more cost conscious with this bike. So, mechanical it is.
Really looking forward to tubeless. Curious about if it will be my next step for tri, but would rather learn on a non race bike.
Staying 2x with planning to ride lots of roads on top of any gravel I would do. I notice the 2 tooth jump in the cassette in my tri bike!
How do you think the Niner compares to the Cervelo?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got theb3tvexploro it is ready for 2x. Meaning not a clamp on front detailer.
Canyon grail in the outlet can sometimes be a good deal.
Open u.p.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a lot of time shopping around this fall and I ended up with a Checkpoint SL5 and I really enjoy it. One of the reasons I ended up with the Trek is because I ended up liking the owner of the Trek shop a lot. I test road a Diverge and Warbird and liked them both as well. I prefer the versatility of a 2x drivetrain and will be buying a second set of wheels for it come spring. I hit the Gravel around my pretty hard (west of Chicago) and am able to throw slicks on and keep up with some fast group rides for the most part. The reason I struggle is more of an engine problem than a bike problem.

I am 5'9 and bought a 54 Checkpoint. The stock mastcap doesn't give you much wiggle room if you are taller than their 5'8.5 recommended height, but changing the cap to the long version instead of the short stock gave me PLENTY of space to move the seat further up. I also swapped the stem with a 110 and it fits me well. I test road both and while the 56 felt fine, I appreciated the nimbler feel of the 54. I also ride a SC size Large. I had a medium before and I was riding with max spacers so I went with a large on this one. I have some monkey arms and only have a 7cm drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should drop by the finish line of the Heck of the North this Saturday afternoon. It’s just north of Two Harbors. There will be a lot of nice bikes, and people love to talk about their bikes - what they like, don’t like and what works for them.

https://www.heckofthenorth.com/heck-about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Giant Revolt. It's a lot of bike for the money. I picked one up this past spring and can't say enough good about it. Great spec at each price point. I also agree with above posters- I feel that 1X is best suited for cyclocross or mountain bikes. You will appreciate the range and minimal spaces between shifts on a 2X unless you live somewhere pancake flat.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Help [CrankShaft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plenty of my buddies will be riding the heck. They have been bugging me to get into the gravel game for years. I have been getting their feedback on this subject also. Thought I would just catch another group for more information and all.

That being said, I am seeing flat mount and post mount brakes. Pros and cons there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have flat mount on all of my bikes with disc brakes, so cannot compare. That said, I haven’t had any issues.

A lot of the build comes down to personal preference, and where you are going to ride. When I bought my current gravel bike, I went 2x for a wide range, with small jumps. However, I completely happy with the way the Easton crank worked with the SRAM derailleur when it got gritty. I recently put a SRAM mullet build on the bike with AXS Force 1x in the front, and AXS Eagle 10-50 in the back. So far I like gearing and it has an even wider range.

Another area is wheels and tires. I like the ride of light wheel, and swap tires based on the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike Help [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

If you're ok with the easy button, and they have your size, it is hard to beat this deal. I helped set up a co-worker on one of these this past spring and it has been fantastic for him. https://www.excelsports.com/...major=8&minor=16

Yup - just had my Niner RLT RDO 9 delivered yesterday. Nice build for a relatively good price. Full Ultegra including the newest clutch-equipped RX800 RD. I don't know how good the wheels are but they came already set up tubeless - just add sealant and air. That took all of 15min for someone who didn't know what they were doing.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Sep 26, 19 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flat mount is the new style. Post mount is the old style.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Niner's geometry chart puts you solidly on the 56.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new Diverge Expert and LOVE IT..with one exception...the drivetrain is Force 1x. I am coming from Ultegra 2x. I HATE double tap shifting. I anticipate dropping this group in the off season and replacing with Di2.

The Diverge as the futureshock which I wrote off as gimmick. Not so much. Compared to my previous gravel bike, the Diverge is insanely comfortable.

I did sell my previous bike but I wish I kept it for the indoor trainer. Zwifting on a 1x system is not as fun.

Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:

That being said, I am seeing flat mount and post mount brakes. Pros and cons there?

Most newer disk brake road and gravel bikes are coming with flat mount brakes. Flat mount brakes limit the range of rotor size you can use (normally it only supports 140 to 160 mm). Post mount you can normally use 140 to 203 mm rotors with the right adapter. 140 or 160 mm rotors seem to be the standard for road and gravel so that isnt a con for most people.

Some bikes like my Ibis Hakka MX has a flat mount rear brake and post mount fork (Ibis has recently switched to flat mount forks on the latest models). One con I can think of is if I bought just a frameset and was going to build it up. Most groupsets are sold with either a flat mount or post mount calipers not 1 of each. I bought the complete bike so it wasnt an issue for me.
Last edited by: j.shanney: Sep 27, 19 11:30
Quote Reply