Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gravel....but mainly road tire
Quote | Reply
Looking for a good tubeless tire that is in the 30c range that will mostly be used on road and hard packed, pretty non-technical dirt. Any suggestions? I was thinking something along the lines of Roubaix Pro tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using these for my "mostly" road rides: Kenda K1160 Valkyrie Pro Tubeless Road Tire 700 x 30mm. They are essentially a road tire, in a tougher, 30mm casing. I have ridden them on 4-5 mile stretches of gravel and they ride surprisingly well. They are pricey, and not easy to find, but they are very nice.

For mainly gravel I use Donnelly MSO 700x40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of talk about this in the Belgian Waffle Ride Threads.

According to Tom A, fastest rolling is probably still a latex tubed Challenge Tire in your desired width.

For Tubeless, There are a few options. Hard to say which is fastest as not much testing has been done.

I've liked the 30c Schwalbe G-One Speed. (I rode the 28c Pro One tubeless in Belgian Waffle Ride with no issues).

Options also from Hutchinson, WTB etc.

Historically, Roubaix Pro have not tested very well.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for schwalbe g-one speed. I ride them on my gravel bike. Not the beat in corners but make up for it in straight line speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to decide on something similar but tubed. I just want a big road tire that isn't slow but will survive a little minor gravel without fear that I didn't bring enough spare tubes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
Looking for a good tubeless tire that is in the 30c range that will mostly be used on road and hard packed, pretty non-technical dirt. Any suggestions? I was thinking something along the lines of Roubaix Pro tubeless.

It's not tubeless, but I've been running the Specialized Turbo Cotton 28C "Hell of the North" tires (w/latex tubes) in my Stinner lately and just a few weekends ago completed a 3-day, >300 mile trip on them through inland Central California, including ~60 miles of dirt road in the Carrizo Plain National Monument, and culminating in the Nova Eroica ride in Paso Robles (with its dirt climbs and descents).

I ran them at ~70psi the whole trip with zero issues/problems/flats etc. through the entire time. I've been fairly impressed at how durable they are. On pavement, they are nearly as fast as the 24C and 26C Turbon Cottons. (Edit: BTW, the guy in the front on the first pic ran 30C Challenge Strada Bianca Pros through the entire weekend on his Canyon disc bike, and even with butyl tubes he had zero issues as well)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Apr 30, 18 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that’s pretty much exactly what I am looking for. We have a house in cayucos right next to the aid station you had on the Nova ride by the pier in cayucos.
That route with Santa Rita, Killer canyon and Cypress is some of my favorite rides there. Basically that route is the exact riding i want for this tire. That specialized still the one you would recommend?

How did you like the Noca Erocia ride, just curios?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
Wow that’s pretty much exactly what I am looking for. We have a house in cayucos right next to the aid station you had on the Nova ride by the pier in cayucos.
That route with Santa Rita, Killer canyon and Cypress is some of my favorite rides there. Basically that route is the exact riding i want for this tire. That specialized still the one you would recommend?

How did you like the Noca Erocia ride, just curios?

In that size, yeah...or the 30C Challenge Strada Bianca Pro mentioned above.

The Nova Eroica ride was fun. I had done the full Eroica last year (on my old '86 Bianchi) but was by myself. I came back home after that and raved about the roads up there, and during the fires in SB in December actually took a friend up there to ride Cypress one day when we escaped the smoke/ash. When the Nova version was announced this year, I suggested doing it to my riding friends, and one of them came up with this idea to combine riding up there the 2 days prior and then doing the event. It was a blast. They didn't believe me when I said the rest-stop food was unparalleled. My only complaint this year is that most of the folks I know who did the ride this year are too used to trying to do events as fast as possible...it took me a while to convince some of them that the Eroica rides are more about enjoying the rest stops adequately between enjoying the ride segments ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Apr 30, 18 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 125 miles this weekend on Panaracer Gravel Kings in 32, with butyl tubes *gasp* they rode very well.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mainly roll on 650x48 slicks at 28psi with latex tubes. The comfort is addictive when hitting multiple surfaces during the same ride. The speed on pavement is way faster than you’d think.

Tom A. wrote:

It's not tubeless, but I've been running the Specialized Turbo Cotton 28C "Hell of the North" tires (w/latex tubes) in my Stinner lately and just a few weekends ago completed a 3-day, >300 mile trip on them through inland Central California, including ~60 miles of dirt road in the Carrizo Plain National Monument, and culminating in the Nova Eroica ride in Paso Robles (with its dirt climbs and descents).

Are these any different than the 28C turbo cottons? I though the hell of the north was only a tubular tire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been riding the Spec Roubaix Roubaix Pro for the past 1.5yrs without regret. They roll decently fast, have good grip and are pretty resilient. Rode them at BWR and a number or NE gravel events as wel as numerous winter road rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Are these any different than the 28C turbo cottons? I though the hell of the north was only a tubular tire?

Yes. It's the 28C TC. They use the same "Hell of the North" moniker.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the WTB Exposure 30’s. Recently stared running them on my gravel/road/cross bike. I really like the way they ride so far. I have a set of WTB Nano 40’s for serious gravel days, but if the ride is mostly road with a few gravel sections I like the Exposures.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [shawrx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve actually had my eye on those and the 32s. Have you seen the 32 in persons? Any idea how much of a tread that is on the side?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Challenge Parigi-Roubaix 27mm tyres survived the Paris Roubaix sportive with all its cobbled secteurs, without incident. Have left them on and been enjoying ever since. They are open tubular design... good for soaking up bumps and avoiding pinch flats, (possibly) not so good for sidewall protection but I've not seen any evidence of this yet. Really depends what you are riding them on.. if there is a risk of sharp pieces hitting up the sidewalls I'd potentially reconsider. But whilst the sidewalls do look fairly unprotected they are tan, so extra points and mine haven't flatted yet riding on all kinds of crap.

They are 27mm but inflated up to almost 30mm on my Vision rims... 19mm inner width, I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Mavic UST Allroad 30c looks quite interesting to me.

https://shop.mavic.com/...e-allroad-d8129.html

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t seen the 32’s but they seem like a good middle ground between the Exposure 30’s and something like a Nano.

I’ve got two wheel sets so I can quickly switch from the 30’s to the Nano’s depending on the ride I’m planning. Pretty happy with that setup as I mix up the type of terrain I ride quite often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very satisfied with my Clements (now Donnelly) X'plorer USH. Center is more of a road tire then diamond shaped knobs on the outside for grip.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would a GP5k 32c tubeless be "enough" tire for Nova Erocia?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:

Easily...I did it with 28C Turbo Cottons 2 years ago.

Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-One Speed 30c.

30c is pretty useless offroad other than you won't instantly flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
I vote GP5kTL 32c. I've actually been using the regular GP5k (32c) with latex tubes on my gravel bike on a lot of single track and fire roads and had zero problems thus far, but the TL version should be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about Panaracer GravelKing Slick TLCs - undecided about 32mm or 38mm. Want something that will not hinder me if I join a group ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel....but mainly road tire [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidK wrote:
I am thinking about Panaracer GravelKing Slick TLCs - undecided about 32mm or 38mm. Want something that will not hinder me if I join a group ride.

Been riding those for a year in 38C. GREAT TIRE.
Pretty fast on pavement, but if you did a lot of riding with roadies I'd probably go with 32.
Quote Reply

Prev Next