Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Grapevine Texas Swimming Areas
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

I’m gonna be in Grapevine Texas for 3 weeks in Sept for work, and was wondering if Grapevine Lake was good to swim in? Any weekend, or evening swim groups in the area? I assume by that time of year wetsuits are not needed.

I’ll be staying at the Residence Inn near the Bass Pro Shop.

Thanks
Terry

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Grapevine Texas Swimming Areas [novaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only swam in Lake Grapevine once at Murrell Park. It's fine for an easy swim. There are some other spots listed here, http://www.lake-grapevine.com/swimming/ There are a few masters swim clubs in the area Dallas Aquatics has a session in Southlake, Lakeside Aquatics in Keller and TriStar Swimming in Flower Mound. You would have to look at their websites for times. I can tell you TriStar is M-F 5:15-6:30am and 9:00-10:00am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playtri (local tri shop) has group swims on Saturdays at Lake Lewisville. That's a bit farther from you than Lake Grapevine, but still not far. I think FWTri Club has a group swim over at Lake Worth on Sundays. People do swim in Lake Grapevine (I personally haven't). There have been a few drownings there as of late.

Water temps this time of year should be very warm.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
novaboy wrote:
Hi folks,

I’m gonna be in Grapevine Texas for 3 weeks in Sept for work, and was wondering if Grapevine Lake was good to swim in? Any weekend, or evening swim groups in the area? I assume by that time of year wetsuits are not needed.

I’ll be staying at the Residence Inn near the Bass Pro Shop.

Thanks
Terry

I live on the North East side of DFW, so I haven't swum in Lake Grapevine. I do my OWS in Lake Lewisville, in The Colony. As Lundy noted, PlayTri does supported swims in Lake Lewisville...and I think they are open to the public for a small fee ($10ish). Triple Threat Tough (out of TriShop - Plano) also swims in Lewisville (on Sundays, I think). I don't know if they do non-members, though. The TTT coach is also my swim coach.

Also as noted by Lundy, lake temp will be WARM. Wetsuit would not be recommended or even tolerable. air temp that time of year is still in the 90s and can break 100F (rarely). Even overnight, it probably won't drop below 75F, but high 60s isn't uncommon. September is one of my favorite months here.

Since you are from Canada...have you swum in southern US lakes? They are not clear. You likely won't be able to see your hand on the pull.

Watch out for 'gators.

ETA: Since it will still be recreational boating season, there will lots of bass boat, jetski, and other boating traffic. Bring a swim buoy, and orange cap. There is a protected swim area at Stewart Creek Park, on Lake Lewisville...I've done numerous solo swims there. Looks to be about 25 minutes from where you will be staying up the 121 toll-road.

Incidentally, there is also a nice run trail around the edge of the lake....where I've done swim/run bricks. It makes for a nice Saturday or Sunday morning. My wife often comes, and brings the dog. They hang out while I do my thang, then we have a picnic lunch. I'll be there most weekends in September/October prepping for late season races.

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 12, 18 8:03
Quote Reply