Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Grand Haven vs. Traverse City triathlons
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to fill a gap in my race schedule this summer and have been looking for a short course (olympic, preferably) race in Wisconsin or Michigan. Two that I found that are on good weekends for my schedule are the Grand Haven race (7/14) and the Traverse City race (7/28). Does anyone who has done either or both of those have opinions on those events? Traverse City is much farther to travel, but I'd probably make a long weekend of it and add in a couple of vacation days, so having a fun place to hang out is a bonus. I've never been to either place.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Haven vs. Traverse City triathlons [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a michigander, I'd make the trek to TC. Especially if you're a beer or wine drinker, awesome area for it, make sure to plan those vaca days post race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in MI for ten years and my husband is from there. Traverse City is worth the extra trip. Be sure to go to Sleeping Bear Dunes park! TC can also get expensive. If you're looking for cheaper accommodations, look in nearby towns. Northern Michigan gets pretty rural, and pretty cheap, pretty quick.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done both. Both great summer beach towns, more to do in TC post race with more options for breweries and wineries if that is your thing. Both run fairly well IMO. As for the course, with GH you have a .5 mile transition run from the beach to the YMCA where T1 is, great smooth roads for Michigan , and typically a shorter than advertised run. TC, out on the peninsula, roads ok and not as good as GH, but a hillier course, run partially on dirt path. Can’t go wrong with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is from Holland, MI, so I've done the Grand Haven race twice since it's super convenient to the in-laws. One thing to consider w/ the GH race is that it's in Lake Michigan (and the LONG T1 which gets added to the swim times). The first time I did it the swim was cancelled due to strong currents and they changed the race to a Du. The 2nd, the water was 59 deg F w/ some medium sized swells. The bike is pretty flat with a new course that removed 1 reasonable sized hill from the first time I did it. The run has been short both years and last year was lacking in Volunteers to direct you where to turn. Would have missed it had I not done the course previously. The race last year was NOT USAT sanctioned, if that matters to you (might be a positive thing?). Swag and post race food was pretty lacking.

Have not done the TC race, but I believe the TC race is in a cove, so should be much calmer and more likely to not cancel the swim. However, I will echo the comments about Traverse City being a MUCH better destination pre/post race.
Last edited by: mgreer: Apr 30, 19 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Haven vs. Traverse City triathlons [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the information. This is useful. I should have also mentioned, that I'd be open to hearing about other upper Midwest (WI, MI, MN) olympic triathlons that are in a cool, fun location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only other race I've done up there is Door County in WI. They have a half and a sprint and both are well put on. It's a much bigger race as well (1000+ participants). It's also priced about the same or more than WTC event. In terms of making it a vacation, the area is very similar to Traverse City.

Edit:
Forgot about Michigan Titanium in Grand Rapids. They have a half and an Oly. Another pretty well put on race of decent size, but GR isn't a place I'd vacation. It's a get in, race, drink some beer, and get out kinda of place. Not sure I'd do it if it weren't super convenient to my in-laws. Depending on where you're driving from, might be worth an overnight and race on the way to someplace else like Traverse City.
Last edited by: mgreer: Apr 30, 19 13:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can probably find an Olympic triathlon in west Michigan every weekend of the summer. Michigan Titanium is ok but not very scenic and around Grand Rapids - beer city USA and 30min to Lake Michigan , I prefer Tri Del Sol between GR and kalamazoo.

Other options - go to 3disciplines.com ... they have one in petoskey or Ludington both nice courses. Use the search function on the forum and you will find a few threads about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll echo the Ludington race - beautiful area, fast course.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply