Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2
Quote | Reply
I figured I have to post about the race today.

I did last years race and was VERY disappointed by the bike course, the apparent lack of officials, and the related blatant cheating. I was not planning on doing the race again since it was so bad. It was actually the worst race I've ever participated in. When I heard the bike course was changed for this year, seemingly for the better, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Let me just say that the race directors Roch Frey and Paul Huddle should be congratulated for the race they hosted this year. It was absolutely fantastic. The new bike course was great, really great, not to mention brutal, although the brutality was primarily due to the wind. In my opinion there were ample Marshals. (I counted 12 Marshal motorcycles before the race) I also saw very little drafting. As a matter of fact, the drafting I did see, I'd qualify as incedental and not at all blatant or excessive. The race was superbly run and hopefully these two will continue to run it in the future. The volunteers were great, course support was great, just an all around good race.

I do have a couple small complaints/critiques, but they're pretty trivial.

1) The finish area was pretty confined, I liked the ampitheater finish they had last year, but I'll take the one transition area format of this year over 2 transition areas any day.

2) There were a TON of non-racers in the transition area after the race. This tends to piss me off. The people I saw were certainly NOT picking up a bike for the competitor they came to watch. They were just milling around, and didn't belong there. BUT, the volunteers were vigilant about matching people's wristband numbers with the gear the were remoiving from the transition area, and I appreciate that.

3) The post-race food sucked compared to last year. It was basically pizza and bagles. I actually don't really care about this and would prefer a great race over decent food any day. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

4) And finally, what's a brother got to do to get a ripe banana on the run course? This was quite funny actually. I grabbed a half banana at one of the aid stations, and the thing was as green as a granny smith apple. I usually just bite into them to peel the rind off, but this thing was way too green to "peel". When I finally thought I could take a bite, I ended up with a mouth full of the meat and the chalky, nasty-ass tasting peel. It was the last thing I wanted to taste while running. It actually made me laugh out loud. I ended up gargling water and gatorade at the next aid station.

Anyway, my complaints are trivial. The upshot is that if these guys are hosting the race next year and if they have the same course, I highly recommend to anyone that it's worth making the trip. Especially if DeBoom is gonna do his thing again...
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it seemed like R&H did everything right. I volunteered (bodymarking--nice numbers on Tim DeBoom, yes?), then after breakfast, we headed around the run course to cheer people on. I only have a couple of ideas for improvement, which I'll email Roch directly.

I'd like to see a breakdown of how many first-timers there were. Of the first three people I talked to at the airport on Thursday, two were doing their first ever TRI and one was doing his first half. Two of my IM friends and I bodymarked. A lot of the guys I bodymarked were doing their first tri or their first half. I was right at the first set of racks, so I did mostly pros and men 20-30. Later we commented that we have never seen so many hairy-legged men in our life. One great reason to shave.....SO YOU CAN WRITE NUMBERS! :-)

Except for freezing to death, we had a great time!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. I believe you meet my hairless legs ;)

You volunteers rocked! thanks for the great work.. BTW I was also a first time halfer, only completeing a sprint prior to this. 5:15, I'm pretty happy with my results.. now if I could just figure out how to swim. :(

Great race overall, next time.. less wind!!

mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
might as well add my two cents. i agree that the race was much improved compared to last year. as expected, the bike course helped sort things out a little better. with the winds, it was not an easy day out there.

however, i was still a little disappointed in the marshalling. to be honest, i did not see a single marshall for the entire 56 mile ride. early on in the ride i was stuck with a small group that seemed to have no interest in riding legally. guys were not dropping back, sitting right on each other's wheels, etc. as far as i can tell, they all got away with it. the hills strung things out a bit but that's not until 30-40 miles in.

now ironically, i probably ended up being the biggest beneficiary of a drafting call on someone else, but i still think there was some room for improvement here.

i still think more room between waves would help a lot. the swim course gets really congested trying to pass slower swimmers in earlier waves when you are only starting 3-5 minutes apart. anyone else have trouble at the swim turnaround? i missed something and ended up way off course. probably lost about two minutes. but that was most likely just my own ineptitude.

that run course is tough on the legs, that is for sure. a large portion of it on concrete. the run course gets pretty crowded as well being a two loop affair. more spread out waves might help some, but this is probably more a function of the course. a two loop half marathon course is going to get crowded. wouldn't it be possible to go back to the original ironman california course and run a single loop like they've done with the bike? i'm guessing that access to the base might be the problem.

all in all, like others said, a big improvement over last year and a good, tough race.

brent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree about everything you said, as well as agreeing re congestion on the swim + run. I actually liked it on the run, as the layout made the course feel shorter, but if you were pushing hard, on your second lap your were dodging us slower runners. Spacing of the aid stations on the run could have used some improvement, & the bannana issue really killed me as well as I was dying for potassium. Still, I would do this course again in a heartbeat. It would be fun to change up the swim & have a beach entry--though the surf can get really rough.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Brent,

If you didn't see a single marshal (USAT Official) it is because we were too busy writing penalties. Perhaps it is also because we were on extra-quiet BMW motorcycles.

We logged 126 penalties this year. The crew did an outstanding job in my humble opinion. Officials cannot see every incident in ANY sport. We certainly are attempting to be as many places as possible. We can always use new recruits. If anyone wishes to be a USAT official, please visit:
www.usatriathlon.org

The breakdown of the violations is as follows:
Abandon Equip 3
Drafting 66
Stagger 1
Blocking 9
Illegal Pass 8
Position 5
Overtaken 7
Traffic Laws 1
Illegal Equip (torso covered) 2
Enter/Exit (dismount) 22
Dismissed Penalties 2

Course design and wave spacing helped our mission to provide a clean race. The professional race was remarkably free of any packs.

Roch and Huddle along with their crew did a fantastic job!

Randy Hill
USAT Head Referee, Ralphs IMCA Half 2003
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my Ralph's experience. I drove up there about 9:00 am to watch T2 and the run with my son. It was a beautiful day.

Too bad we drove up on SUNDAY to see SATURDAY's race...

D'OH!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [randyhill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a question from a tri-noob, but what is the illegal equipment (torso covered) penalty? That's the only one that I hadn't heard of from your list.

Thanks,

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [Josh_MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Covered Torso is actually a WTC (Ironman) rule. It is an international rule as well. The rule, which comes as a rules amendment at all WTC events, states:

· Shoes and covered torsos are required on the bike and run course.

Two more rules for WTC events are:

· Crawling on the run course is allowed.
· Alcohol use during the race is prohibited (penalty: disqualification).

These are amendments as they are not written in the USAT Competitive Rules.

Randy Hill

P.S. It was my mistake to list it as USAT Rule "Illegal Equip"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Randy,

I saw you guys trailing several packs & I could barely hear your motorcycles as you passed. You guys seemed to really be on top of things While there was some drafting, and I did tend to get passed by packs, it seemed you guys were on top of it. One question: did your prescence break up the packs or were you just writing down #s? I know you are just enforcement, but unless the penalty fits the crime (a 3 minute penalty was nothing for the benefit gained in all of that wind), it will be very difficult to curb the blatant cheaters. I saw the most in the male masters division, however as my wave left after the 35-39, I don't know what the pack situation was in those groups.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The obvious presence of an official USUALLY causes immediate compliance with the rules. We cannot be everywhere however. The knowledge that the officials are serious and willing to enforce the rules is actually more effective. This is hopefully happening more and more often these days.
The first penalty was actually 4 minutes and the second penalty 8 minutes (a total of 12). A handful of athletes actually received double penalties at this race. We do not have any quotas to hit and we do everything we can to educate athletes before the race (Head Ref Message on website, handouts, and race meetings). You can be sure however that we vigorously enforce the rules, now more than ever.
As for your age group, it was well represented in the penalties.

Randy Hill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any public list of who got what penalties?

Thanks for the nice job. 99% of us out there really appreciate you guys.

Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results are posted (race #, violation, time penalty) next to the race results at each race.
The Head Referee stays through awards presentations for any questions.
I do NOT believe they are available for viewing on the USAT web page. That might be a suggestion for the future.

Randy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Randy - thanks for the clarification. The requirement of having a covered torso was what I thought you were referring to, but I didn't know how it fit into illegal equip. A good reminder to keep your shirt on huh?

Thanks again.

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the rule on this, twice during the race I was passing on the left when a faster rider would come from behind, I had yet to complete my pass (still well within 15 secs) and the guy behind passes me on my right between me and the other rider. Should he wait? Should he pass me on the left as long as there is room? It's a real stupid move on the guy behind because as soon as I hear someone coming from behind my tendance is to pull out of their way to the right and if the sun hadn't been behind me so I could see his shadow, all three of us would have ended up on the side of the road.

Everything else was great this year for the athletes. My spectators said it was a poor race to watch because of the med/food tents blocking most of the trans area and the long walk back to the cars (shuttles weren't running during the race). But with the limited room on the pier I'm not sure how else to set it up.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brent,

Great race, congrats. I have a question, though: what was up with the swim times? I felt like I was having a good swim and, at least on the way in, I had a great course. Yet, I came out over 1:30 slower than usual. And I knew something was weird when I saw you come running around me on the way to the bikes. And ideas why we went so slowly? And was it a drafting penalty that Hauth got? The awards ceremony was pretty funny, seeing the looks from both you and the guy from South Carolina when they brought you up in reverse order. He was a pretty nice guy, my buddy and I talked to him for a bit afterward.
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the times were slow as well (I didin't want to say anything because I thought I was just sucking). I was 2-3 minutes slower than I thought and was swimming very well. Everyone I spoke to (about a dozen), from people that went <27' and >40' on the swim thought they were about 10% slower then they calculated.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [Hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I was exactly 10% slower than I calculated. I've heard this from other racers as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WooHoo!! I hope you guys are right. My swim time from last year improved by over 2:20, but I thought I still should have been faster. I resigned myself to be happy with the improvement I had. BUT, now you got me thinking, so I looked into a few people who raced both years and placed similarily to me. They actually slowed down by two to three minutes from last year to this.

So NOW.... I've got a little extra swagger in my stride as I proudly, but sorely, strut around the office. Maybe I shouldn't get carried away. I'm still slow, but just a little less so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randy

first of all, draft marshalls have an incredibly tough job. i know there is no way that you guys can be everywhere at once or see everything. and looking at the list of penalties it looks like it was a well officiated race.

however, it is true that i didn't see a single one the entire race and i thought this was strange. i had to deal with an annoying little pack for a while where guys seemed to have no interest in following the rules. the tougher course helped break this up compared to last year.

so thanks for all of your hard work to make the race a fair one. just reported my experience and didn't mean to imply that nobody was doing anything.

brent
Quote Reply
Re: Gotta Post about Ralph's 1/2 [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garth

despite what others thought, i'm pretty sure the swim was the same as last year. my slow time was the result of my own ineptitude. somehow i got headed in the wrong direction at the turnaround. even worse it took me much longer than it should have to realize that there was nobody around. all of a sudden the course was about a hundred yards to my right. in the water i estimated it cost me about two mintues, and compared to what i swam last year and the splits of guys i'm comparable to, i'd say that's about right. so that's my story, doesn't explain anyone else's experience.

so i was walking around all day annoyed that a stupid mistake like that cost me, but i also felt hauth deserved it anyway since he outran me. turns out he did get pinged for drafting and i backed into it. funny thing is that last year at vineman i got a penalty for losing a bottle in t1 that gave chris the win.

i tried to talk to that guy but felt like he was kind of annoyed by the whole thing. glad to hear it sounds like he took it in stride.

like you, i just felt kind of crappy all day. thought i should have been able to ride a few minutes faster and for the first 3 miles of the run thought i might be walking it in. just goes to show that if you hang in there and stay focused on the moment, things can work out.

brent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoop
the rider passing you needs to pass on the left at all times. He would get cited for 5.10e

eric

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply