Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me.
Quote | Reply
Seriously! Today at the Rock N Rollman half in Macon Ga. put on by Setup Events. A guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me for maybe 20 seconds as I came out of T2. Totally a goof, some dude in a full gorilla suit trying to get me pumped up for a 13 mile run. The officials gave me a 4 min penalty for this! Called it "unauthorized assistance"...

I was 5th overall into T2 and ran my way into 2nd place. Only to find out that this silly penalty was assessed. Totally ruined my race day high! My first penalty in over 5 years of racing Triathlons (5 IM's including Kona last year). I've always observed race rules, would never knowingly break a rule. This is a hobby, I understand that... trust me I do....

I've posted pictures on my Twitter @TexasTarabay if anyone wants to see my race "foul"

Not sure if it matters but I'll write USAT a letter on Monday. Letting them know about their officials call on race day. This Official and people like him take the fun out of our sport. The race director even told him the penalty was silly and lacked merit.

Is there anything else I can do? Does it even matter? I got the official's name and email address. Would it be OK to post that on this forum?
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [cooterbrown96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your girlfriend to shave. ;)
I wish I had some advice. Just think of all the Tour leaders that could have been penalized.
You are indeed unlucky. Stupid penalty.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [cooterbrown96] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. If a gorilla runs next to me, I will be sure to punch him and ask him to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you estimate how many minutes the gorilla's encouragement saved you?

This does sound like a very silly penalty. How long does a spectator have to run with you for it to be a penalty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were you winning and the gorilla slipped you a banana ?

Last edited by: lacticturkey: Jun 1, 13 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you know the person under the gorilla suit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, bogus call. I would appeal it for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's absolutey hilarious. I was 3rd overall into T2. I saw him on my way out. I would have gladly taken the penalty for the gorilla to pace me. Maybe it would have saved my run.
Last edited by: oceanlife: Jun 1, 13 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This can not possibly be a legit penalty.

A random fan can give anyone they want a penalty by jogging next to them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes racing is like wrestling a 500 lb gorilla :0)

Quote | Reply
Good thing the gorilla wasn't Prancersizing next to you, you might have gotten a DQ.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya know...damn good point.
Close race...have someone strategically set up to run next to your competition and get them a penalty.
Might get some people to Kona! (He-he)
Officials need to use their brain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to derail a good gorilla penalty thread, but 59-year-old Moatsie had a rather impressive day - finishing with a 1:37 run.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it makes you feel any better, he gave my wife a penalty for having a shoe 6 inches in the isle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, I heard you going off on the official a couple times and was wondering what was up. That's a ridiculous penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [born_to_TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

and the gorilla was a heal striker, its all bad!
Quote Reply
Re: Got a penalty because a guy in a gorilla suit ran next to me. [sickness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one gorilla with a nasty heel-strike. Doesn't he know he could get more bananas by switching to mid-foot?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a complete joke of a USAT official. If I were the guy that got moved up in awards based off this penalty I'd be passing off any award that came with it back to you. It's not worth taking if it validates such an idiotic penalty.