Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good thermal (and cheap) wetsuits
Quote | Reply
So, my Y abruptly shut indefinitely yesterday afternoon. Every other pool in the area is closed too.

Ocean temp is 41 degrees. Maybe it’s 50 a month from now.

I’ve done scuba diving in 30 degree water, but that was awful. I know surfers routinely brave low temps in certain places.

For swim wetsuit manufacturers, who makes a good reasonably priced thermal suit? ROKA’s is listed for $750, which is too pricey.
Quote Reply
Re: Good thermal (and cheap) wetsuits [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blue-70 do a thermal version of the Helix. But i suspect it's a similar price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was me I'd look after the extremities with hood, gloves and boots. Then any cheap no name neoprene shorts and vest or thermal rash vest under my current wetsuit. Swimming in cold water it's the ice cream headache that gets me first so I'd need a good fitting hood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d wait a month and get the booties and hood. Don’t swim alone at those temps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra has a sale going right now, very reasonably priced wetsuits. I have two of 'em, work perfectly fine for racing and training, albeit they do get small rips pretty easily (that are easily patched or ignored).

$149 for full vortex

While you're at it, might as well get the head cap and booties also on sale if you are intent on swimming in winter-cold water, you won't regret it.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 15, 20 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ordered a cap, swim sock and gloves... I'm not experienced with cold water swimming... but now the pools are shutdown i'll have to give it a go.

So will a "normal" wetsuit be warm enough in 10 celsius / 50 F ?
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Mar 16, 20 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Good thermal (and cheap) wetsuits [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience that is going to feel very cold. If you haven't done it before be a bit cautious. If you have any condition it might aggravate I'd give it a miss. You can normally find a chart to show how a particular bit of water is going to warm up through the spring. If that is expected to warm soon and the weather is good maybe just wait a while. If you don't think it'll warm soon maybe just treat the first to as a test.

If budget isn't a problem and you will do it quite often then a dry robe is amazing.

Are you doing it alone? I've sea swam alone plenty but I grew up there and I wouldn't in that cold because a cramp could get you in trouble quite quickly.

Eta if you are going to do it unbranded cheap rash vest and neoprene shorts will make a difference under your suit.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Mar 16, 20 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: Good thermal (and cheap) wetsuits [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to do it alone. But it will be in shallow water, so cramps won't be that risky. I will give it a try, i don't see any other solution.. or lose the build up swim fitness from the last 3 months, which kinda sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Good thermal (and cheap) wetsuits [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a little bit of risk protection esp. If swimming alone (not recommended to be honest - the consequences are usually a lot worse than riding alone and something going wrong) then a tow float can help as it gives something to grab if you do have a problem.

Plenty of options out there - Swim Secure (the 'original') , lomo, and the bigger brands like Huub, Decathlon, Head and Zone 3 etc all have offerings now.

https://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/tow-floats/
Quote Reply
Re: Good thermal (and cheap) wetsuits [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always use that for open water. But that's because im scared of boats not seeing me swim. I'm not worried about cramps, i will stay close to the shore and the water is pretty shallow. So i never be far from the coast. But i want to be able to withstand the cold for at least 30 minutes to keep some of the swim fitness there, i don't think the pools are opening anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive got a water rover that I can sell for $100 shipped (for both top and bottom together). It is a size 4. Very thick; and also not legal in almost every triathlon. Havent used it in years, but still seems OK. 10mm rubber. I only used it ~10 times (as it was banned shortly after it was introduced). Message me for more details if interested.

Stephen J

Waingro wrote:
So, my Y abruptly shut indefinitely yesterday afternoon. Every other pool in the area is closed too.

Ocean temp is 41 degrees. Maybe it’s 50 a month from now.

I’ve done scuba diving in 30 degree water, but that was awful. I know surfers routinely brave low temps in certain places.

For swim wetsuit manufacturers, who makes a good reasonably priced thermal suit? ROKA’s is listed for $750, which is too pricey.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
A normal suit should be enough with boots and hood (you can get a surf one that covers neck too instead of just a cap or chinstrap).

The gloves are an extra layer but less essential than boots/hood.

I have one of these.... Its a dry bag swim buouy.... You can put keys, shoes, towel, phone in it..... You can get back pack ones, but I like the dive ones because they have a flag. When i swim in the dark I put a bright bike light flashing inside, and that lights it up like a beacon....

https://scubaonline.de/...ADh29BUaAjG8EALw_wcB
Quote Reply