Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete?
Quote | Reply
Nike seems too narrow. But still use the 4% for shorter races

Hoka Napoli and Clifton 1 I like but for some strange reason they are way too small of a sudden. Complete change in a week.

Months as a size 11 and now all are so small my toes hurt within a few minutes of putting on.

So any ways I need to buy all new running shoes size 11.5. If anyone has suggestions I will give those a look. If not I will try some Clifton 4, 5 or 6 as I can’t fond napalis which I REALLY liked

Need to get half size larger no idea why as I actually lost a few pounds

So looking for a wide cushioned ride

Any suggestions?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Jul 7, 19 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neuroma survivor here. I hobbled along for years till I found Hokas. I was originally an 8.5 and basically look like Im wearing clown shoes I wear them so big. Bike shoes as well. Wide toe box and cushioning is essential, you could try altras I did not like them personally. The cliftons and even the carbon X are what I am now using for gods sake get a huge size. Don't mess around with this it took me 3 years to sort it out. Watch your dress shoes as well. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the shoes I'm listing have generous toe boxes to begin with and come in a 2E

Brooks Ghost 11. The 12 is on it's way to your local running shop. You may have trouble finding the 11 or 12 this week since no one is restocking the 11 currently. But if you do find a Ghost 11 it should be on sale for <$100. If you want to try this shoe in a 2E I can check my inventory and see if we've got one in stock.

NB 880
Nike Pegasus or Vomero, the Vomero is slightly wider to begin with.
Adidas Solar Glide 19. Although can't remember if this comes in a wide. If it does no one stocks a wide, it'll have to be ordered, and dealing with Adidas is a nightmare from your LRS perspective.

I'm sure there are other shoes that I'm failing to think about currently.

The Clifton 6 is much softer than the 5 imo. ymmv

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a nagging knee issue so tried various shoes. If you liked the Hoka Napali, you may like the NB fresh foam Gobi. I found the gobi a little firmer and better stability than the napali, but liked them both. The gobi was a 2e, the napali was standard, toe box room for those was about the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [teamvanstrange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teamvanstrange wrote:
Neuroma survivor here. I hobbled along for years till I found Hokas. I was originally an 8.5 and basically look like Im wearing clown shoes I wear them so big. Bike shoes as well. Wide toe box and cushioning is essential, you could try altras I did not like them personally. The cliftons and even the carbon X are what I am now using for gods sake get a huge size. Don't mess around with this it took me 3 years to sort it out. Watch your dress shoes as well. Good luck.

Thank you for the information

You were a 8.5. What size did you end up with please?

Fortunately I never have to wear dress shoes lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go up 1 to 1.5 size for running shoes. I literally look dumb they are so big. My recommendation is avoid cortisone shots I did 2 and they only masked it. It takes a significant amount of time to quite down the nerve then once you do you have to make sure as you already are that your foot wear is wide and cushy. It took me 2 years to really figure it out. One strange thing I have found for me is that running in the cold or even standing in thin soled shoes in the cold messes me up and brings it back. I found hokas and was able to run 20 milers in 27 degress again with no foot numbness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50 miles per week and "slow, heavy" - something doesn't smell right here ..

Fwiw, I thought I had wide feet, but I find Nike's fit (Zoom Fly, Vsporgly, Pegasus 34/35) great for me. The Pegasus 35 is almost too wide.
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
50 miles per week and "slow, heavy" - something doesn't smell right here.

I ran 50 miles per week through last summer and fall and guarantee I'm slower and heavier than the OP. Higher mileage doesn't automatically make you less slow or less heavy.
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
50 miles per week and "slow, heavy" - something doesn't smell right here.

I ran 50 miles per week through last summer and fall and guarantee I'm slower and heavier than the OP. Higher mileage doesn't automatically make you less slow or less heavy.

Ok, that's certainly not my N=1 field testing experience. Consistent volume makes a huge difference for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [teamvanstrange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teamvanstrange wrote:

Is there a certain Clifton model/number you have found you like the most?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened with me with Clifton 5's. Wore a size 10.5 for 3 pairs but on the 4th pair it wrecked my toes from being too tight. Size 11, which I've never worn on anything even seems to be a little snug in the toe box. I even tried the wide-foot version but I absolutely swam in them. I wonder how the Clifton 6's compare?
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the hoka Bondi. With increasing mileage, I use the bondis for training and the Clifton’s for races.
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
All the shoes I'm listing have generous toe boxes to begin with and come in a 2E

Brooks Ghost 11. The 12 is on it's way to your local running shop. You may have trouble finding the 11 or 12 this week since no one is restocking the 11 currently. But if you do find a Ghost 11 it should be on sale for <$100. If you want to try this shoe in a 2E I can check my inventory and see if we've got one in stock.

NB 880
Nike Pegasus or Vomero, the Vomero is slightly wider to begin with.
Adidas Solar Glide 19. Although can't remember if this comes in a wide. If it does no one stocks a wide, it'll have to be ordered, and dealing with Adidas is a nightmare from your LRS perspective.

I'm sure there are other shoes that I'm failing to think about currently.

The Clifton 6 is much softer than the 5 imo. ymmv
I have wide feet and the ghost 11 have been great. How do the 12 compare?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Transcend. No other shoe I’ve owned can handle high mileage with my bigger frame. Green superfeet insoles have dealt with foot issues I’ve had in the past. Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
I have wide feet and the ghost 11 have been great. How do the 12 compare?

My guess is they kept the toe box the same width. The Ghost have been known to be a wide(r) toe box. I think since it's Brooks top selling shoe in the neutral category they don't change that feature.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
Brooks Transcend.

He would need the glycerin. The transcend is their stability model.
The shoes are more or less identical except the transcend has guiderails the glycerin does not.

The transcend/ glycerion are plush shoes. I really like my transcends

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had surgery for MN 8 weeks ago so feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I’ve read just about every article and forum post on the internet in the last year and tried everything.

The only thing that actually helped me was an insole with metatarsal support, rather than pads. I tried 3 different ones and by far the best was Powerstep Pinnacle Plus Met Insole.

I found Brooks Adrenaline GTS to work well (still needed surgery). Tried half a dozen shoes and this worked best, has more arch support than other models which I never thought I needed until I tried it.

Altra is the gold standard for wide toe box shoes with natural shape, and along with Hoka is the 2nd most popular ultramarathon shoe on the market and has great support. Worth trying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly the Hoka Bondi's are the best wide toebox shoe. They are wider and have more top space than the Cliftons. Also I would recommend the Bondi's because you will have more cushion under the forefoot which will help with your Morton's Neuroma. I've had it before. You don't want to go with a minimalist shoe. If your toes are hitting the front of the shoe then you need to go 1 to 1.5 sizes bigger. Your feet will swell in heat and with longer distances. A good running coach will tell you to get the biggest size you can get without tripping over yourself. Also pay attention to what you are wearing outside of running - those everyday shoes can be making your Morton's Neuroma worse.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Jul 7, 19 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: Good shoe for slow, heavy, 50 miles per week, Morton’s neuroma having triathlete? [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
I just had surgery for MN 8 weeks ago so feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I’ve read just about every article and forum post on the internet in the last year and tried everything.

The only thing that actually helped me was an insole with metatarsal support, rather than pads. I tried 3 different ones and by far the best was Powerstep Pinnacle Plus Met Insole.

I found Brooks Adrenaline GTS to work well (still needed surgery). Tried half a dozen shoes and this worked best, has more arch support than other models which I never thought I needed until I tried it.

Altra is the gold standard for wide toe box shoes with natural shape, and along with Hoka is the 2nd most popular ultramarathon shoe on the market and has great support. Worth trying.

Message sent

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellow Morton's sufferer here. FWIW, my podiatrist - a pretty awesome runner/triathlete specific podiatrist - suggested a morning routine of taking a small, thin towel, placing it on a hardword floor, and trying to "grasp" it with your toes. Sort of like Bruce Willis making "fists with his feet" in Die Hard, but I digress.

For shoes, I have found a lot of relief from Altras - literally any model has had toebox space that's helped with my issues. I've also had some good luck with orthotic inserts for Mortons replacing the standard issue inserts in my ON Running and Newtons.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salming Greyhound and the new Mizuno Sky Waveknit are other good choices for extra cushioning. Cushioned like the Hokas, but a lot more flexibility so a different feel.
Quote Reply