Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good gravel gloves?
Quote | Reply
Feel pretty silly posting but curious what others are using. I’ve got a worn out pair of specialized dual gels. Used some “thick” giros in the past.

Anyone got a favorite glove that’s a little thicker for the gravel?

I like the specialized gloves but hands do take a beating on the really rough gravel (tho that might not really be solvable with the gloves...)

Googling didn’t give me any compelling options.

Before I bought a fresh pair of the specialized gloves, anyone have a recommendation?
Quote Reply
Re: Good gravel gloves? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Feel pretty silly posting but curious what others are using. I’ve got a worn out pair of specialized dual gels. Used some “thick” giros in the past.

Anyone got a favorite glove that’s a little thicker for the gravel?

I like the specialized gloves but hands do take a beating on the really rough gravel (tho that might not really be solvable with the gloves...)

Googling didn’t give me any compelling options.

Before I bought a fresh pair of the specialized gloves, anyone have a recommendation?

I suggest rather than getting thicker gloves, get some Silca Nastro Cuscino or Nastro Fiore bar tape. I have the Fiore on my gravel bike and it's NICE.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME, gloves are a lot like running shoes and goggles; when you find something that works stick with it (until they "improve" it in a subsequent version and it no longer works for you).

I had the BG gel gloves (for example) and they gave me numb fingers. Did much better with the minimalist Grail gloves. Now I've stocked up on the Grails.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Handup gloves for gravel. Nothing special but they check all the boxes for me - light, good grip, good value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do ultra distance gravel events with the same gloves I use road riding :) I do see more reason to wear them on gravel. Many times I don't use gloves on the road at all....even racing.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Good gravel gloves? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! Got the tape. Forget the name but middle thickness of their three.
Quote Reply
Re: Good gravel gloves? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. I use the same gloves for on and off road (and don’t miss them if I forget on road)

What’s your glove of choice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Yep! Got the tape. Forget the name but middle thickness of their three.

That would be the Fiore. The Cuscino is even thicker and more cushioning apparently.

...well, then my second suggestion would be to run the widest tires you can at the lowest pressure for the conditions ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Good gravel gloves? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

I suggest rather than getting thicker gloves, get some Silca Nastro Cuscino or Nastro Fiore bar tape. I have the Fiore on my gravel bike and it's NICE.

I was just thinking this. I have Arundel tape on my gravel bike. A couple weeks, I went out with some friends to try to do a 14er on gravel. I wound up only climbing about 11k, because it was too hot and I didn't bring enough water and we miscommunicated about the elevation gain per lap. Anyway, my hands did get beat up. It might not have been as bad if I had found my padded gloves (I used a pair of Velocios, with minimal padding), but that Arundel tape is supposed to be on the cushy side.

I have the Nastro Fiore (2.5mm) on my road bike. Last weekend, I went out and did a 80 miler on paved and dirt roads. This time I forgot my gloves completely. But the tape really was cushy. I am remembering what Josh claimed about the foam and its propensity to rebound a lot faster than many competitors. I think I can buy this. I'm definitely getting the Cuscino for my gravel bike as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really liking the Bontrager Velocis at this time. I like the seamless....and not so heavily padded.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: Sep 4, 20 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't need thick gloves for gravel, just something to stop chafing.

I use Louis Garneau TT gloves! Light, minimal padding and I like that they come over the wrist a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Good gravel gloves? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No special gloves for gravel. My current gloves are Giro, Castelli & Pearl Izumi with various amts. of padding, and I just rotate them whether I'm riding gravel, road or mt. bike. Doesn't seem to make a difference although most of my rides are only a little over two hours.
Quote Reply