Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good Long Distance Training Books
Quote | Reply
anyone have any recommendations for good ironman distance training books? i've just returned from IMLP and signed up for next year's race (despite the monsoon i witnessed during this year's race. cudos to all who finished, that was something!) anyway, i've been racing oly for 4 years now (doing a 1/2 IM this august) and was looking for some tips for the transition to ironman distance (aside of the ones on this forum of course). i have the triathlete's training bible by friel and was considering buying his iroman book, but have heard there is a lot of repetition of information. i'm a self-coached age grouper looking mainly for training information, but some race day tips would be nice too. thanks in advance for any suggestions!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Going Long [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By Gordo Byrn and Joe Friel. Buy it here and you can even have it autographed! While there will certianly be some overlap between this and the TTB, there is a lot of great stuff that is the result of many many conversations between Joe, Gordo, and other elites.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Last edited by: Khai: Jul 29, 03 20:59
Quote Reply
Re: Good Long Distance Training Books [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both TTBible and Long Distance and think that Long distance is a must have if you're planning for an IM. A lot of new and more specific stuff. I almost take a look at it every night to remind me something I forgot. I found that TTBible was a good and necessary intro to LD. I might have been a little lost without reading the other first since the info is much more condense in LD. Go buy it!

Richard

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Good Long Distance Training Books [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they said, that's what I'm thinking.*

I don't think that Going Long is very repetitive. Do some things overlap? Yes. But there are tons of tips that aren't in the TTB, like dealing with psychological issues, some of the nutritional issues that come up in IM that don't come up for shorter races, and a lot more good stuff. The reviewer on amazon who says that it's all the same stuff and is a waste of money should be clubbed, because he clearly hasn't read the books. TTB tells you how to prepare for the race. Going Long tells you how to get through it.

I bought Going Long two days before my first 1/2, and I found it to be helpful. It gave me a lot to think about regarding how to approach the race, how to deal with the ups and downs(how many triathlon books have you read that address the emotional aspect of long distance racing?), and had a lot of just plain useful tips that you only get through experience. By themselves, those tips are worth the price.

*(super obscure reference)

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply