Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences?
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of switching from clinchers to tubeless for both training nd racing wheels. Seems like there are many more tire options available now. Anyone have experienced good or bad with making the switch.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my bikes are tubeless and ill never go back. PRO's- for SURE 100% I have had goat heads, tack or 5 and the sealant seals it up and I didn't even know I had a flat till I got home! had a bigger puncture but sealant again got it. Maybe I added some air, but I was on the side of the road for a minute not minutes getting dirty, wheel off etc. Run lower pressure and bike feels even faster that way and smoother too.WORST case is stick a tube in the tire if hole is really that big/ gash. NEGATIVE- I personally still carry 2 tubes/2 co2's when reality says not needed. Yes if you get a worst case scenario , you'll have sealant all over the place. but that's a worst case like any other worse case scenarios. And yes initial setup requires a compressor or newer pump that has built in compressor. I can't seea negative that would make me go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
I have had goat heads, tack or 5 and the sealant seals it up and I didn't even know I had a flat till I got home!

I've had this experience more often than not with latex tubes and no sealant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the switch on my gravel bike. It is a much softer ride and feels great. The only really big con I had was the setup, if you don't initially set it up correctly, it gets messy, nasty and PITA.

I was using clements USH (non tubeless tires) on tubeless rims. Worked great, until I decided to ride the road with my wife. Instead of riding at 30psi I pumped it up to 70psi to try and keep up with her tri bike. Rim tape broke, mess everywhere, getting in a tube is messy as hell.

I said screw it and I'll ride with tubes until I wear these tires out and get tubeless ones. Really wish I still had tubeless though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been tubeless on the mtb for years, never going back. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself here, but I haven't had to walk home, add a tube, whatever, in over 4 years of weekly riding. Once, the sealant was pretty dry and wasn't sealing completely, but I was still able to ride home on a tire with about 15psi.

I just switched to tubeless for my road/gravel bike (sold the roadie). It's only been about 3 months of mixed terrain riding, but just Saturday, tubeless likely saved my ride. I had a puncture in the thread of the tire, and within about 100 yards, it was sealed, and I was good to go. I probably still had 40-50psi, so I didn't even mess with my spare CO2. I just finished out my ride, which was about 20 more miles. I will say, it was a damn mess on the bike and my back side as the sealant sprayed from the spinning tire.

I would totally make the switch to the TT bike if the wheels I use were tubeless ready. Although, I do use latex and sealant, so I'm only giving up a little weight and marginal RR.

I always keep a spare co2 and tube, plus now I carry the little plugs for larger punctures. Tom A. has talked a lot about options here.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty outspoken about road tubeless being a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I still agree with this for the most part.

However, this past week I've been training on some 700x32 tubeless slicks at 40psi on the road. It's pretty dang nice. Bumps and chatter are nearly non-existent. I guess the feeling is similar to supple 28s with latex tubes, but I think that these tubeless tires will be a bit more robust, and I can pretty much ride anywhere. It's nice on busy roads to be able to ride in the gutter. With supple clincher tires, i hate riding in the gutter or on the right side of the white line because there's usually gravel, glass, metal, and other various tire hazards. I hate cutting expensive tires. With tubeless, i don't think twice about it.

For road racing, i haven't moved over yet. Maybe i will eventually. For now, I'll train on tubeless, race gravel on tubeless, race road on clincher or tubular.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In applications with pressures over about 50 psi, I think there's little net benefit. In applications below 50 psi, there might be some benefit.

Things that drive me crazy about tubeless:
1. The inconsistency. Even the sames brand tires and same brand rim will have a huge variation in how reliable a tubeless setup they provide. You never quite know if it's going to work well or whether you'll be stripping the tire off, adding more tape, etc. Gah.
2. The pain in the ass setup. Throwing a tube and tire on a rim takes me about twenty seconds and can be accomplished with bare hands. First time tubeless setups can take more than an hour of messing around with metal tire levers, overpriced tape, fiddly valves that might leak, extremely tight beads, air compressors etc.
3. Imagining trying to get a tube in the damned things on the side of the road during a rain storm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro: If going fast in a tight pack you can give everyone behind you "Stan's bukkake" when you get a puncture that sprays for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you should definitely stick to tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t had time to do a proper write up on them but my experience installing tires on to my new Mavic Road UST rims has been overwhelmingly positive. Arguably easier than a traditional tire installation because you don’t have to worry about pinching a tube. Sealed right away with a floor pump.

I can’t comment on CRR, durability, or aero yet. Aero I plan on answering later this summer with a trip to A2 (Mavic has been somewhat vindicated by their rim shape choice, IMO, by Bontrager and Venn’s recent white papers). CRR... BRR pegs Mavic’s new tires as equal to GP4000 SIIs with butyl. I hope to try some faster rolling Hutchinson tires soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I haven’t had time to do a proper write up on them but my experience installing tires on to my new Mavic Road UST rims has been overwhelmingly positive. Arguably easier than a traditional tire installation because you don’t have to worry about pinching a tube. Sealed right away with a floor pump.

I can’t comment on CRR, durability, or aero yet. Aero I plan on answering later this summer with a trip to A2 (Mavic has been somewhat vindicated by their rim shape choice, IMO, by Bontrager and Venn’s recent white papers). CRR... BRR pegs Mavic’s new tires as equal to GP4000 SIIs with butyl. I hope to try some faster rolling Hutchinson tires soon.

Isn't Schwable also making them?

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I know Hutchinson is making Mavic’s Road UST tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like some others I've been running tubeless on my MTB since ages ago. In that time I've had one incident where a big chunk of rock embedded itself and tore a hole in the tyre. Otherwise I've never even noticed a puncture.

A year or so ago I converted my CX bike. Non tubeless rims, just used good tubeless rim tape and good valves, and tubeless tyres. In my case Maxxis Ravagers. I got them setup with a track pump and haven't had a single problem since.
About a year ago I decided to try and set up my roadie tubeless. That was an Enve 3.4 wheelset, not the "Tubeless Ready" version. With good tape and valves, and Schwalbe Ones I was able to get them setup pretty easy, again only needing a track pump. Since then I've changed them to Schwalbe Pro Ones (tubeless) and I love those tyres. They feel awesome, much better than the standard Ones. Running around 60-65PSI generally.
Have since converted my Enve 6.7 set as well. Had a bit of a fight and needed to use a compressor for one tyre in the end, but haven't looked back. Pro Ones running on those too and it's sublime.
I've got an Open U.P. build happening at the moment and that will be setup tubeless as well. At this stage the plan is to run Compass Snoqualmie Pass 44s and just go everywhere on it.

I don't get the PITA side of it. I setup a Mavic Aksium wheel (non TR) tubeless at the weekend in about 20mins start to finish. Sometimes it pays to put a new tyre on overnight with a tube to stretch it to the rim. Then put it on with the tape and valve to see if you can get it to bead up before using sealant. Use liberal amounts of soapy water to help the tyre pop onto the bead. Once the tyre has popped on to the bead, wait a couple minutes then deflate it and remove the valve core so you can squirt sealant in through the valve body. Put the valve core back in and air it up. Minimal mess doing it that way over the sealant in the tyre and then get it on the rim approach...

Like a couple of others I still carry 2 tubes and CO2 canisters, but have not had to use them. I think it's just the boy scout thing, and in all reality it isn’t hard to carry them in a nice tidy saddle bag so what's to lose for the worst case scenario..?
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [mickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickey wrote:

Like a couple of others I still carry 2 tubes and CO2 canisters, but have not had to use them. I think it's just the boy scout thing, and in all reality it isn’t hard to carry them in a nice tidy saddle bag so what's to lose for the worst case scenario..?

I usually carry one tube and a plug kit. I've only had to use a plug (bacon) once (on gravel) and it was the easiest fix ever. You can fix the puncture and fill the tire faster than you'd even get the wheel off the bike to put a tube in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Experience counts for a lot when setting them up. Each time gets easier. Pros are you are much less likely to get punctures with sealant and can run lower pressures. Other than setting them up and more expensive tyres not many cons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think going tubeless for training is a great idea. Robust tires at low pressure.

However for racing, your options are basically the Vittoria Corsa speeds to be as fast as possible. These things are paper thin and a single puncture can completely ruin a tire (as it did in my case). The worst part was the sealant spraying everywhere though. My bike, shoes, socks, under my saddle, everything was covered in it. My socks were permanently stained and it took a long time to clean all that shit off my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the hed jet blacks with vittoria corsa, i have changed a flat on the the side of the road after a 3 inch rock sidewall gash, i used a cliff gel wrapper, and a tube it was soooo easy and fast. the setup with a compressor is super easy, as fast as a tube. the vittoria tires go on as easy as a gp 4000 on a flo actually i would say easier. the main thing you get is no random latex holes, and no worries about melting latex tubes on descents, I have twice done that. 185 lb guy on super steep stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a very different experience with the 23mm CS tires: nearly impossible to mount and I'm very confident I couldn't throw a tube in on the side of the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I've had a very different experience with the 23mm CS tires: nearly impossible to mount and I'm very confident I couldn't throw a tube in on the side of the road.

I think Vittoria may have changed them up slightly at some point. The very first pair I got was pretty hard to mount, took some profanity.

The last few pairs I've gotten (with the newer black sidewall) I've been able to push the bead over the rim with my thumbs on HED Jet+ rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's encouraging. Perhaps I'll have to give it another go.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
I was pretty outspoken about road tubeless being a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I still agree with this for the most part.

However, this past week I've been training on some 700x32 tubeless slicks at 40psi on the road. It's pretty dang nice. Bumps and chatter are nearly non-existent. I guess the feeling is similar to supple 28s with latex tubes, but I think that these tubeless tires will be a bit more robust, and I can pretty much ride anywhere. It's nice on busy roads to be able to ride in the gutter. With supple clincher tires, i hate riding in the gutter or on the right side of the white line because there's usually gravel, glass, metal, and other various tire hazards. I hate cutting expensive tires. With tubeless, i don't think twice about it.

For road racing, i haven't moved over yet. Maybe i will eventually. For now, I'll train on tubeless, race gravel on tubeless, race road on clincher or tubular.

Out here in the SW Desert, goathead thorns are an epidemic. I've had 8 punctures in a week and would spend $40 a week on tubes until I went to Gatorskins. My next road bike will at least have tubeless training wheels (to be fair, gatorskins work really well). I have them on my CX / Commuter and in one instance I got 12 goathead punctures in less than a mile, all of them sealed. Although setting it up is a pita, that's what I'll be going to.

Online when it comes to debating about flats, there's always 2 groups; people that have to deal with goatheads and people that dont. If you don't flats are typically a non issue. Even with GP2k's I can ride through broken glass and be fine, but goatheads just puncture them nonstop.
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes as a fellow SW rider cactus thorns are a constant source of flats. I’ve also been suffering a string of pinch flats after hitting small rocks, 3 in a row. I’ve had it.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are Vittoria Corsa's the tubeless road tire to run? I am demoing a BMC RM01 that has 28 Corsas on it. They are a grippy ass tire. I'd like to try them in 25 on my HED Ardennes. It looks like only the Corsa Speeds are TLR though.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Going tubeless: Pro’s, Con’s, Experiences? [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
Are Vittoria Corsa's the tubeless road tire to run?

They are the tubeless tire to run if your primary concern is world-class rolling resistance. (along with good grip)

Roughly speaking the Corsa Speed TLR is in the class of tires with the (tubed) Grand Prix Supersonic/TT or Specialized Turbo Cotton.

For training there are other brands that give you very good rolling resistance, but with more durability, longevity, and ease of mounting. And more options for size. Some of those still have very good rolling resistance, e.g. on the order of the GP4KS.

Personally, I race on the Corsa Speed and train on the Hutchinson Fusion / Schwalbe Pro One.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your thoughts on Schwalbe tires? I like their MTB tires, but have had some rather porous tires that took a ton of sealant to hold air.

I currently run GPKIIs with butyl... I don't really race, maybe a cat 5 RR here or there, but like to have a clean and smooth running machine.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next