Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman.
Quote | Reply
OK, let me ask- it's Ironman morning (and the night before). Not to be indelicate, but do any of you guys and girls try to eat and time your eating in such a manner that you don't have to have a bowel movement during the race? You loose a lot of time by having to do a #2 in a race. Any thoughts? I have the timing down pretty good for myself, but I've blown it a couple times in shorter races and had to go to the john at a most inoportune time. Thoughts? Jeez, this forum has boiled down to bathroom talk and I'm responsible....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta have that morning coffee - I addition to its "performance" enhancing effects that were discussed on another thread it sure helps clear me out! I also eat breakfast at least 2-3 hours before the start of an Ironman.

mg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike G is abosolutely right!

A couple of pieces of fruit before bed, some gatoade in the night, oatmeal and coffee race morning. Add all that to the pre-race jitters and it is simply no longer an issue. Get to the porta potties early before they are... well you know.

I have no idea what to do if you are not a coffee drinker.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's basically my plan...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to sound gross, but I swear I read an article that explained how to use the bathroom while riding (both disciplines). I guess you'd have to be pretty hard-corps for that!

To answer your question, I do plan my meals and cross my fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [Twist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
To answer your question, I do plan my meals and cross my fingers.[/reply]

I plan my meals and cross my LEGS. It makes for a darn funny technique out there but it's uninterrupted clear sailing baby!

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [TonyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyG, you cross your legs?? Wow. I'll try that tonight.

The week of any race, I practice waking up at 5:30, eat my pre-race meal, and then hit the throne. I practice this, just like anything else. And what happens the AM of a race? My body is prepped, and ready to roll. Never had a problem race morning. I'm as regular on the potty as I am around a track!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I can pee at 35 m.p.h. on a descent with one had on the bars, one hand operating the plumbing and a high degree of handling proficiency while maintaining my situational awareness. I'm laser guided! It's the heavy weapons I have to stop for.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dude, I can pee at 35 m.p.h. on a descent with one had on the bars, one hand operating the plumbing.
How can you "whip it out" on the bike? Isn't it illegal, if not time penalties?
Last edited by: P2kman: Jan 16, 03 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore a one-piece at my first IM. Went #1 3 times on the bike. I just went. I don't get style points, and I fortunately avoided any chaffe, but it worked.

Thought I had to #2 on the run, but one look at the porta potty and I decided it would be less traumatic to just pick up my pace. Note - this applies twofold on a looped run course...

Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it only men responding to this? ;-)

A word of advice: If you go do an IM in another country and lose your drink mix and have to drink the other country's drink, BE CAREFUL!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 cups of coffee, something solid and bland , 2hours before the big race, almost guarantees a big event that leaves the bowels empty. Now the bladder is another issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always have to go at the same time every morning, which is right after I eat breakfast so it's never a problem. I love how predictable my body is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes it even worse is when there is no toilet paper.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [Spiderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
            I eat the same thing almost every morning, and absolutely every race morning, a bowl with half raisen bran, half granola and half a bannana, five minutes later I'm ready to rumble! But peeing off the bicycle in a race is really no big deal, you are already wet, just stand up on the peddles and pee! On the run is a little more difficult, harder to relax that one muscle, but if you are wearing tri-shorts you'll be really stealth andf no one will notice, again you're already soaked with sweat. Just be sure to wash your shoes when you get home. Peeing while swimming takes alot of practice!

On our other subject, or subject #2; a friend of mine hired Paul Huddle to coach him for IM Kona a few years ago. Along with his workouts came a lot of printed advice. My favorite one was "If you want to race the Ironman, you have to learn how to pee off the bicycle, and to crap off the bicycle. Now you might think this is a little extreme, but don't come crying to me if you don't make it under 10 hours, while you were sitting in the Port-a-John!!!!!!"

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an article here on slowtwitch about a year ago written by Monty titled something like The Art of Evacuation on the Bike. It was a good article. It may still be in the archives somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is all in the nerves and what your body is used to. I have been racing (running and now tris) since I was 11 years old (that was a very long time ago) and when I wake up the morning of a race it only takes about 1/2 an hour before my bowels start prepping for a "lighter" me before the start .... no need for coffee or any special food :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I do the same eat 2hrs before stuff before ny major race but anything of 1/2 Im or IM distance I take a couple of Immodium's to make sure I dont have to stop for no 2. As for no 1 I pee off the bike no worries but still havent done an IM where I havent had to stop at about 7km's - fine after that though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the link to Monty's article on performing bodily functions while on the bike. Hysterical. http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/evacuation.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a triathlete who lives with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), this is something I always stress about. In general, I try not to eat at least 12 hours before I hope to have a pre-race bowel movement. The morning of the race, I can't use coffee as a stimulant since it exacerbates my condition, so at first I cross my fingers and hope for the best. If I don't feel as if I've been 'productive', so to speak, I've had to use a Fleet enema to finish the job. I know, sounds gross, extreme, and all - but it really isn't that big a deal. I've asked a doctor whether this might hurt in terms of de-hydration and/or electrolyte depletion, but she believed the effect was marginal at best and said I shouldn't worry about it. I know from training runs/rides if I don't ensure an empty bowel, I'm risking a world of hurt, and it just ain't worth the risk on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happenned to me at the very first tri. Getting off the bike at T2 thought that I was going to explode. Fortunately there was a portapotty right beside the bike stand. Added about six or seven minutes to my time.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to really drag us further in the gutter, but I've heard others say similar things to Sweeney's Paul Huddle quote and I just don't get how people honestly do #2 while on the bike. I have enough trouble relaxing enough to pee, I'm just not sure crapping myself is an option no matter how fast I'm going.

Does anyone really do this or is it just what the IM vets tell the newbies? How does one pull it off without crashing or breaking some rule?
Quote Reply
For Non-Coffee Drinkers . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 . . . like me, my "secret weapon" is prunes. Yup, works for me. I down 3-5 prunes with lunch on the day before the race, then another 2-4 with dinner the night before.

Has worked great for me and has me ready to clean house in the AM pre-race. I've never had coffee but considered it simply for this reason before. I got the prune idea visiting my Grandma and have been loyal to it since then.

It's a big, wide, world.

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its amazing how a discussion on crap leaves so much responses ;) Coffee and prunes baby!
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the B-room (#2) at Ironman. [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking a dump off your bike clearly violates some rule. If it doesn't, we need a USAT rules commitee meeting ASAP. Peeing off the bike, that's another matter. That's OK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next