Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips?
Quote | Reply
I've been going to practice two and three times a week since September.

Spent a lot of time with the coaches, they say I'm ready...just kind of nervous.

Probably do the chase, elimination and hopefully the Madison.

Anyone care to share their experiences?
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which velodrome?

Be predictable. Don't chop wheels. Get a better warm-up than you think you need - rollers are your friend.

Quote:
hopefully the Madison

Make sure your insurance is up to date!

Good luck and have fun.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is very exciting !

Have confidence in what your coaches think, hopefully they would not tell you that your ready if you are not.
Remember to breath and stay loose. When you tense up, its harder to keep your line: Don't fade up in the corners.

I don't know your style, but it might be best to stay a bit conservative. Watch and learn !

Did I say to remember to Breath!

Most Importantly keep the rubber side down, and have fun.

You're hooked !
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lexus Velodrome in Downtown Detroit. 166.66 meters

I've had so much fun in practice with the Madison, I hope they'll let me race it soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely going to be conservative :)

Planning to watch and see how things unfold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm envious ! Last year, out here in Colorado we were living large with two tracks we could ride. We don't have any now !

Dale has got it going with his set-up in Detroit.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Echo what the others have said already.

In the elimination, things get sketchy fast if it's a big group to start with. Remember that the front is slowing down while the rear is still sprinting.

Madison is all about paying attention. Always be ready to go over top.

Have fun. Track is awesome.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll keep my head up. I've had good teachers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Chris said about the elimination is correct. Its like an accordion - Compressing and expanding. Usually the safest spot to be, and the spot you can control your destiny (to a degree) is high on the track. The worst thing in an elimination, is thinking you are in a safe spot on the black line, and have everyone roll you over the top, and then you're out ! And when you see that coming, there is nothing you can do - don't fight it !
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been caught in that in practice sitting 2nd or 3rd wheel on the black line.

Nothing to do :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
What Chris said about the elimination is correct. Its like an accordion - Compressing and expanding. Usually the safest spot to be, and the spot you can control your destiny (to a degree) is high on the track. The worst thing in an elimination, is thinking you are in a safe spot on the black line, and have everyone roll you over the top, and then you're out ! And when you see that coming, there is nothing you can do - don't fight it !

I hated the elimination race, could never figure it out. Had a decent sprint, and could hold my own in the points race, but would always get in trouble racing the same bunch of guys in the elimination. I would always end up in the back needing to go high and hard and there are only so many of those sprints your legs can handle.

Watching some of the UCI races I have noticed that another good strategy earlier in the race is to ride on the black line but near the front always fighting for position. So you would get boxed in, but you would always have wheels behind you.

To the OP: track racing is fun, enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Spent a lot of time with the coaches, they say I'm ready...just kind of nervous.

Don’t stop pedalling and try to freewheel...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:

It depends on who you are. I'm a diesel, and I don't like being high and having to fight over the top on every elimination.

So I just park myself in front and pull everyone at just slightly less than pursuit effort. Just fast enough to dissuade attacks. Not so hard that you're hurting yourself badly. It seems stupid because you're pulling everyone. But, for me, having a perfectly consistent pace and being able to take the fastest line makes up for it. .

Once it's down to 5-6, then I'll pull up and start drafting to plan the end-game. Then you just pick out who you think is the weakest link on every elimination, and take them out.

That's how I do it.

If the field is too loaded for me to pull the whole way, I'll usually make an ad-hoc alliance with another pursuiter-type to trade off pulls.

Edit: I should add I almost never win eliminations. Because I suck at sprinting. But I have a pretty good rate at making it to the final 2-3 riders. And I've never crashed with my strategy either.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 10, 20 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I did that once and it threw me down to the apron, then I hit the banking in the turn 3 seconds later.

Scared the crxp out of me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t get COVID

Be aggressive tactically, you’d be surprised how small a difference in effort it takes to be at the pointy end of the field. Always empty the tank, who knows how hard everyone else is suffering. And if you get dropped so what, there’s another race in 15’.

Keep your head on a swivel. Never lose sight of the rider in front of you. Gain a sixth sense for where others are around you on the track.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never stop pedaling, especially after throwing your bike forward for a points sprint (even if you say you've practiced for the last few months in that specific case the road reflexes may come back to haunt you).
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Dbeitel wrote:

It depends on who you are. I'm a diesel, and I don't like being high and having to fight over the top on every elimination.

So I just park myself in front and pull everyone at just slightly less than pursuit effort. Just fast enough to dissuade attacks. Not so hard that you're hurting yourself badly. It seems stupid because you're pulling everyone. But, for me, having a perfectly consistent pace and being able to take the fastest line makes up for it. .

Once it's down to 5-6, then I'll pull up and start drafting to plan the end-game. Then you just pick out who you think is the weakest link on every elimination, and take them out.

That's how I do it.

If the field is too loaded for me to pull the whole way, I'll usually make an ad-hoc alliance with another pursuiter-type to trade off pulls.

Edit: I should add I almost never win eliminations. Because I suck at sprinting. But I have a pretty good rate at making it to the final 2-3 riders. And I've never crashed with my strategy either.

And I used to do exactly the opposite!!! I'd sit right on the back and then just roll past the person in front of me, making sure that I boxed them in and they couldn't get back out. I certainly wasn't a diesel though. Either way, track racing is heaps and heaps of fun. I still have the scars to prove it! Enjoy your first races - I have no doubt they will be the first of many.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I did that once and it threw me down to the apron, then I hit the banking in the turn 3 seconds later.

Scared the crxp out of me.
You tend to learn very fast. Good to know you’ve had your lesson :)
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

Ha, was going to say exactly this! Forgetting this one very important piece of information led to a ruined helmet, concussion and some very awkward supplier meetings the following week where I had to open each session with an explanation of why my face looked like this and that, no, I hadn't been fighting at the pub.

It is just SO natural to try and sit up and freewheel after a sprint!
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had just got done with a pull where I maxed myself out and couldn't get back into the group.

Peeled off high in turn 1 and 2, came back down the track and realized I couldn't get back on to the group. I was probably going 28ish when I decided to slow down, started to resist the pedals too much and it torqued me down on the apron. I didn't have time to get back to the black line so I just braced myself to go back up the track. Hit the transition between turn 3 and 4 and went up the track. I completely expected to go down but it turned out OK.

I won't do that again.

This is on a 166 meter track, a quick lap takes about 12-13 seconds and this happened on the back straight between turn 2 and 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Dbeitel wrote:

I hated the elimination race, could never figure it out. Had a decent sprint, and could hold my own in the points race, but would always get in trouble racing the same bunch of guys in the elimination. I would always end up in the back needing to go high and hard and there are only so many of those sprints your legs can handle.

Watching some of the UCI races I have noticed that another good strategy earlier in the race is to ride on the black line but near the front always fighting for position. So you would get boxed in, but you would always have wheels behind you.

To the OP: track racing is fun, enjoy it!

In my first elimination practice race I expected everyone to ease up after each elimination, nope they continued to hammer away and spit people out the back. I think I was second or third out behind some 12 year olds.

In the last few, I've tried to get second wheel on the outside. After a few eliminations just about everyone went over me and I got spit out the back. Think the best I've managed was fifth out but I was also riding with the "A" guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
I'm envious ! Last year, out here in Colorado we were living large with two tracks we could ride. We don't have any now !

Dale has got it going with his set-up in Detroit.

Have fun.

Dale is great!

Boy, do I miss Hellyer and NorCal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Going to do my first races in a Velodrome this weekend, anyone have any tips? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

It is just SO natural to try and sit up and freewheel after a sprint!

I still occasionally do it after more than a decade on the track...but it's never affected me to the point where anyone watching would probably notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if using clipless, tighten the spring tension all the way down on the pedal. you never ever ever want to come out of your pedals.
make sure cleat hardware is tight and/or loctited (red).

going to toe clip/strap system better, but you can add a strap to a clipless system.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next