Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going from old dumb trainer to ?? - Help me pick a direct drive trainer
Quote | Reply
What I have is an old (15 yrs) cycleops trainer. It still kinda sorta works but it's starting to look like it may be seeing the end of its useful life.

I currently use a power meter for Zwift / Trainer road connected by way of an Apple TV. I am happy with the set up, but the trainer is on its way out.

I would be fine with a dumb direct drive trainer (lack of noise and feel / resistance are the selling points for me). The lower end wahoo and elite seem competitive. I like that the elite at $800 is plug and play (according to DC Rain Maker), BUT I am running SRAM so I am not sure the included cassette has any value to me. Also thru axle is 12x142x1.5tp (not sure if that is important).

I am looking for the simplest and best value direct drive trainer. In other words, I am not in the mood to fiddle with a new trainer before a 5 am workout. And I would rather pay for something "fiddle-less".

I'm sure just about everyone has more experience than me in this department. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from old dumb trainer to ?? - Help me pick a direct drive trainer [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the cyclops trainers, whatever model you can find. I have the original hammer, know friends with the h3 who love it, they're very similar. If you want something fiddle-free, I recommend using your power meter to control the trainer still, that way you dont have to worry about calibrations or anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from old dumb trainer to ?? - Help me pick a direct drive trainer [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the cyclops trainers, whatever model you can find. I have the original hammer, know friends with the h3 who love it, they're very similar. If you want something fiddle-free, I recommend using your power meter to control the trainer still, that way you dont have to worry about calibrations or anything.

Do the directions explain how to use the power meter to control the trainer? Is that something that works with all newer direct drive trainers?
Quote Reply
Re: Going from old dumb trainer to ?? - Help me pick a direct drive trainer [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is something that's part of zwift and trainerroad. All you do is pair both your trainer and power meter, for trainerroad make sure power match is on, and you're good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That 'don't fiddle before a 5am workout' is why I bought a couple of Tacx Neos. There is no calibration option - there is no way to 'fiddle'. It's just accurate*

I workout at what most would class 'early' - tend to start riding about 4:40am and am on a tight schedule so don't want delays. I use zwift to run structured sessions that are set by my couch in trainingpeaks. And it all 'just works' - had about two occasions in 3 years where there were problems, and I managed to work out after why.

*refer to DC Rainmaker reviews for the long version of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Saris Hammer H3! Working at a shop, I have access to Wahoo, Saris and a buddy has the Tacx Neo 2. I think it's somewhat dependent on which programs you use, but I find the H3 is so much better than the Wahoo units. As a Traiber Road user, I find the Kickr has a lag when intervals end that is terribly irritating to me and the cadence measurement is a joke at best. My buddy who has the Neo 2 is not a fan of it either. The H3 is a lot for the money, and the setup and connection super easy and fast!

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Going from old dumb trainer to ?? - Help me pick a direct drive trainer [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
That 'don't fiddle before a 5am workout' is why I bought a couple of Tacx Neos. There is no calibration option - there is no way to 'fiddle'. It's just accurate*

I workout at what most would class 'early' - tend to start riding about 4:40am and am on a tight schedule so don't want delays. I use zwift to run structured sessions that are set by my couch in trainingpeaks. And it all 'just works' - had about two occasions in 3 years where there were problems, and I managed to work out after why.

*refer to DC Rainmaker reviews for the long version of this.
My couch us much nicer than yours. It only sets me sets of eating ice cream while watching TV :p

To the Op. as Dunc says a Neo would work perfectly. As would a Kickr or Kickr Core. Although unlike the Neo they need calibrating, but at a cheaper price point - especially the Core - it could be worth it.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Last edited by: BayDad: Apr 3, 21 9:28
Quote Reply