Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter?
Quote | Reply
Question here, I have been using a crankbased Power meter for a long time, I am in the market for a new Power Meter and am considering a set of Vectors, is there any consideration or reason not to make the switch?.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from Power2Max (crank based) to Favero pedal--I used both at the same time for a few rides just to check how the power related between the two power meters and have been on just pedal since--I see absolutely no reason not to switch to pedal if you want to do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone from Power2max, which I think is great, to Garmin Vector 3.

Between mine and my GF's bikes I have 4 sets, three of them were refirbushed. I've found the refirbs on Biketiresdirect.com from $600 to $700 when they have them.

Why, because I don't want to buy a new crank for my track bike, I wanted to try different size cranks on my tri bike and was too lazy to find a new crank on my road bike. My road bike was the first one to change.

On my GF's bike, the front end shifted so well I didn't want to change anything so I got her the pedals.

Still have the P2max on my mountain bike, old road bike and old tri bike(s)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have crank power on most of my bikes but also a set of Vector 3s and Assioma Duo.

The advantage of crank (primarily for road riding) is there is less of a weight penalty as a system and or ability to run MTB cleats. The PM on my S-Works Aethos adds less weight when paired with the lightest pedals (e.g Look Keo Blades with Ti spindles) and on my gravel bike allows use of MTB cleats.

The advantage of pedals is you can move them across bikes.

I have both Vector and Assioma. The Assioma are cheaper and equally (if not more reliable) though the Vector batter door issue has long been solved. The Assioma batteries are rechargeable which I find easier to live with. It always seems like my Garmin battery dies at in opportune times. The Assioma pedals are uglier and harder to unclip from and seem a little harder to clip into because the bearing spin so freely. But for what it’s worth, when push comes to shove and I’m traveling with my bike, I always bring the Assiomas as a back up not the Garmins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only reason to not go pedal is if you don't like the pedal type.

I've had Assioma and Garmin and trust the Assioma's much more.

I always LOVED Garmin support and wondered about Assioma, until I used their support and was amazed. The error was 100% on my end.

They made me do something on their app, that "auto sent" my data to Italy for diagnosis. They saw the problem, asked me to try a few things. We went back and forth very efficiently. I was impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Question here, I have been using a crankbased Power meter for a long time, I am in the market for a new Power Meter and am considering a set of Vectors, is there any consideration or reason not to make the switch?.

If you want to use speedplay, shimano road, or mountain bike pedals.

If you need wider spindles for fitting purposes, the pedal based PMs don’t accommodate that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, You can put a SPD body on Favero Assioma pedals. I’ve two set of Faveros: one set for the my road bikes with the standard road body and one set for my gravel bike with SPD body :)

See gplama’s YouTube channel for detailed instructions.
Last edited by: jth: Feb 4, 21 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
trener1 wrote:

If you want to use speedplay, shimano road, or mountain bike pedals.

If you need wider spindles for fitting purposes, the pedal based PMs don’t accommodate that.

If you have a narrow stance the pedal based option are also out. I think the Assisimos are especially bad for this because the PM body sits between the crank and peddle.

On the other hand, if you ever travel and rent a bike, bringing power pedals and your computer is a super easy way to have power on any rental bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cranks are rarely damaged in a crash, whereas pedals are often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vectors have a lot of negative experiences. They are a a distant third behind the Assioma and P2 pedals. The best are the Assioma Duo pedals. Second best are P1 and P2.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [Monastero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I have been a SRM user for years, and when I got AXS on my tri bike, I chose a pedal based system, and went with SRM Exakt. Fast forward to the WC race in Nice, and on the descent I clipped my pedal (a bit too much aggression for my own good). Did not crash (did jump across the road) and found my carbon pedal body quite damaged when I got finished. All the years of a crank based system (about 18) I never did any damage, and one season with the pedals and boom. I do have a spare pedal now, as they sent me a full set to replace (long story).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall a DC Rainmaker review that talked about how finicky a set of Garmin pedals were. Torque had to be precise, washer had to be aligned just so, etc. Sounded like a total PITA to get them set up right.

In that or another writeup he talked about having zero issues with Powertap pedals.

My takeaway was that not all pedal-based power is created equal.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that was for the first generation of Vectors. I don’t believe any of that is necessary anymore. That being said I have had zero problems with my P1s for over 4 years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a crank based pm (Power2max) on my main racer and on my trainer.

I have a pair of Favera DUO s that I switch between my other bikes (TT; Gravel, & retro racer).

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
I recall a DC Rainmaker review that talked about how finicky a set of Garmin pedals were. Torque had to be precise, washer had to be aligned just so, etc. Sounded like a total PITA to get them set up right.

In that or another writeup he talked about having zero issues with Powertap pedals.

You're thinking of the first generation.

I don't know how much easier setting up the Vector 3 can be.

Screw them into the crank, tighten them half-arse tight, pair them with your head unit, calibrate zero then start riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:

IMO Crank based power meters are long term reliable and accurate on a level that current pedal based systems cannot compete with. If it were me I would own a crank based meter for individual bikes before buying a pair of pedals for any reason. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been a long term Powertap wheel based user (since 2007). Just finished building up a new road bike and since I had to get new pedals anyway, decided on a pair of Garmin Vector 3 dual sided. Only have about 200 miles on them so far but no issues. My wife has been riding a set of one sided Vector 1's since they first came out and aside from battery changes, zero issues at all.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
davearm wrote:

Screw them into the crank, tighten them half-arse tight, pair them with your head unit, calibrate zero then start riding.

My Quarq never needs to be manually zero'd. It does it by itself.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Going from a Crankbased to Pedels Power meter? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jaretj wrote:
davearm wrote:

I haven't needed to zero the Vector 3 since I installed them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jaretj wrote:
davearm wrote:

I haven't needed to zero the Vector 3 since I installed them

Do you need to check them to confirm whether they need to be zero'd, or do they do it automagically?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They auto cal when the wake up and just before they shut down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
They auto cal when the wake up and just before they shut down

Ah, I thought when you said that you had to calibrate zero on the Vector 3's that it was a manual process.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First calibration after install.

Maybe i worded poorly, it was a busy day at work but i managed to get my slowtwitch time completed
Quote Reply