Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going crosseyed/neck pain when riding steep
Quote | Reply

It goes unsaid that fit is vital - sufficient stack reach and really all aspects of the fit critical to comfort. BUT, If you all could go with me here and assume my fit is solid - anyone found any exercises/strength routine or something of that manner they found helpful to improve vision or eyestrain with looking up the road, and perhaps reduce tension in the high-neck?

I don't notice this on even long trainer rides because I think because I drop my head quite a bit more. Outside I am fine for 20-30 miles, but beyond that is where I run into some trouble on the road. I do drop my head somewhat on the road but less than the trainer, by necessity. Maybe helmet weight contributes? I don't feel a lot of tension, its more of a fatigue in the neck and a crosseye feeling after looking "up" for a while.

I think this came up before and stack was the answer, but curious if you all have other ideas. I've added back about 20 mm stack over the past few months and I don't feel it made a big difference other than making me look even less pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Going crosseyed/neck pain when riding steep [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rdubs wrote:

It goes unsaid that fit is vital - sufficient stack reach and really all aspects of the fit critical to comfort. BUT, If you all could go with me here and assume my fit is solid...

Nope. It isn't. Tri fit starts at the hands, then elbows/shoulder, then neck. You're too low in front, or you need to flatten your back and go steeper (and farther forward) to alleviate the neck position. If you're straining your eyes to see forward, then it's too low. Or you're trying to see too far up the road...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Going crosseyed/neck pain when riding steep [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - heh, I figured I might incur some wrath with the question. Of course I agree with you 100%. The question is, is it the fit the only variable? I admit I have tinkered from my most recent pro fit as I have added fitness and had different goals. Actually most recently reviewed here with most recent fit video here only with adjustment since that video being 10mm stack, added ceegees thickness and reach for more pads more under elbows. I feel like my cDA was good (at least via BBB) for the POS triathlete that I am, so I was hoping to see if there were any non-fit methods folks have tried, strengthening or what have you. Doing some Yoga and Planks recently.

Idea came from recent success resolving a particularly stubborn PFS with quad strengthening. So, was thinking of exploring similar approaches to my TT niggles. If fit is truly the only variable, I guess I could always adopt a low short TT/Sprint/Oly position (if that convincingly tests faster) and a more comfortable 56mi/112mi position.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as non-fit methods go, I have a wild idea. Disclaimer - I have yet to try this. I was discussing this very problem with my opthalmologist in my annual eye exam. We came up with an idea of having a pair of prescription eye glasses with +3 or +4 prism in them that would effectively shift what you're seeing down by several degrees so that you could be looking downward a bit more and be seeing what's up the road. The main reason I haven't tried it yet (aside from the cost of a funky pair of prescription eyeglasses) is that I prefer to use the visor on my aero helmet and can't fit glasses under it. But hey... if someone wants to try it and report back I'd love to hear if this actually works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do some neck exercises - yes's, no's and ear to shoulder - these should help to lessen neck fatigue on the bike.

https://calisthenics.github.io/...cise/yes,-no,-maybe/

The individual begins in a supine position on a raised surface, with the head and neck extending off the edge. The head is then moved up and down in a "yes" fashion. The head is then turned from side to side in a "no" fashion. Finally, the head is moved from side to side, bringing each ear to the nearest shoulder in a "maybe" fashion.

edit: you can just do this ^ on the flat ground or on a mat. You'll probably feel a good exercise going to the chin on the yes's as it is the opposite of being on a bike, in terms of neck position.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jan 17, 20 20:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, you could see a f you could flatten your back more. This removes some of the s-shape in the spine. A new seat might do the trick. One quick way to see if this might be viable would be to tilt the nose of the saddle down a few degrees. This might cause a sliding problem, but if it fixes the neck issue you just need to look for a saddle that works better for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend, who when she bends forward, as if in the aero position, and then looks her eyes up, her eyes are off axis, meaning one eye drifts slightly to the side. Because her eye drifts, she positions her head to accommodate the inequality. As she fatigues, it worsens. Not only does it give her a headache, but also neck pain. It is very subtle to the untrained eye, you might have this checked by a Neuro ophthalmologist.
Quote Reply