Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Going back to the gym?
Quote | Reply
Looking at the covid 19 risk by activity charts, gyms are listed as a 9 out of 10 for exposure. However if a gym limits occupancy (say 50%), has everyone clean equipment before and after, requires masks, shuts down during the day for cleaning, and has a very high ceiling and good ventilation, would a high risk level be warranted? I would like to use the weight machines which are separated by distance from all the cardio machines at the Y, and if distancing is kept between users then exposure should be very low. What am I missing besides the fact that, no matter what, going to the gym increases the risk compared to not going.
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I counted correctly there's something like 7 or 8 "if than" scenarios that have to be true to reduce/minimize your risk:

- limited occupancy
- clean before use
- clean after use
- masks
- periodically closes for cleaning
- high ceilings
- good ventilation
- social distancing

Good luck with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the gym is far too risky. I’d just stick to doing workouts at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in New York and gyms aren't allowed to open. You can drink at bars (with mandatory food purchase), protest in packs, go to church, pack the sidewalks of resort towns, play baseball, shop in retail centers and malls, but gyms are currently banned from opening. However, gyms in nearby states and many European countries are open. It's my understanding that there isn't a documented case of someone getting Covid at a gym.

Just do the "new norm", and play by the rules. Stay away from the locker rooms. A risk, like a lot of activities, will be there, but you can lower it if you choose to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The optional thing I choose to do is a weekly visit to some family and chat in the garden where we are in control of as much as possible.

To justify that (my parents are in there eighties and ok but not probably not very resilient) I don't do any other thing that is optional. It's that simple. There are lots of things I'd like to do and individually I could make a case for doing them. But ultimately they are indulgences.

People don't think they'll get it and certainly don't think they'll infect others but if that was the case this wouldn't of started in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think an indoor gym is pretty much the polar opposite of the kind of environments you want to be in right now.
People sweating, breathing hard, sharing equipment...
The only thing that would be worse would be going to jiu jitsu.

I am a gym rat- or I was. Now doing home workouts with dumbbells, kettlebells, pull-up bar, exercise mat.
I do strength training 6 days per week.

Sure I miss barbells and a squat rack, but no way I am going to risk my health to do it.

Ever see how strong guys can get in prison?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not worth the risk. Don't foresee myself going to the gym anytime soon until at least vaccine is out.
Last edited by: listairee: Jul 31, 20 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dont do it. billion pushups and air squats at home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not rushing back. I miss the routine - I'm retired and I used to go to the gym most mornings, either to workout there or to run from there, then have a sauna, a coffee, read the papers and sometimes chat with the folk there - I miss it but don't think I'll go back anytime soon.

Having said that, our house got flooded by a burst pipe last week and we had no hot water for 2 days - so I did make a quick trip to the gym just to have a shower. I went in a quiet time and saw one other person in the changing rooms.
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been at the gym 4 days a week since May 1st. No mask. Regular courtesy cleaning of equipment

No issues
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
If I counted correctly there's something like 7 or 8 "if than" scenarios that have to be true to reduce/minimize your risk:

- limited occupancy
- clean before use
- clean after use
- masks
- periodically closes for cleaning
- high ceilings
- good ventilation
- social distancing

Good luck with that.

I should also add ‘stay out of the locker room’!
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I have been at the gym 4 days a week since May 1st. No mask. Regular courtesy cleaning of equipment

No issues

Wear a mask!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you been doing strength training at home during the time you haven't been able to visit the gym? I bought a pull-up bar in March when my gym closed and have been doing daily pull-ups and push-ups since then. That's it as far as specific strength work. I'm not seeing much, if any, lost benefits from not doing the twice weekly typical 30-minute session on the machines at the gym that I had done for more than 30 years. Of course, I haven't raced a tri since March either.

I'm in no hurry to go back to the gym and deal with the folks sitting on the machines staring at their phones. :)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 1, 20 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Have you been doing strength training at home during the time you haven't been able to visit the gym? I bought a pull-up bar in March when my gym closed and have been doing daily pull-ups and push-ups since then. That's it as far as specific strength work. I'm not seeing much, if any, lost benefits from not doing the twice weekly typical 30-minute session on the machines at the gym that I had done for more than 30 years. Of course, I haven't raced a tri since March either.

I'm in no hurry to go back to the gym and deal with the folks sitting on the machines staring at their phones. :)

I actually had a very nice home gym but had started selling some of my equipment in the last couple of years. When the pandemic hit I was inundated with great offers for my equipment and decided to just sell everything. Since I have four gym membership (have a program through medical insurance that many fitness centers accept) figured I would just go back to the gym. I’ve been lifting since I was fourteen, with running the only thing done longer. While I miss working out, I would miss my health more! And the reason for my home gym in the first place....was appalled by the lack of decent behavior of many (not cleaning machines, dripping sweat on equipment after just doing cardio, sitting on machines and just waiting for a bus, taking phone calls, and my favorite...’hey buddy, I’m still using that’, while they are on another piece of equipment on the other side of the facility).

Gosh I miss working out!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm paid through Sep but have been eating that expense since mid-Mar and just working out at home. I miss the heavy weights but am doing more functional strength now. I don't intend to renew my membership when it expires next month and am not sure whether I will go back when this is all over.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Aug 1, 20 16:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve gone to the gym a few times but the gym I go to is two-story open space with giant fans so very well ventilated. They take your temperature at the door and you’re required to wear a mask at all times except when you’re doing the exercise. It’s limited attendance and the times I’ve been there there’s been no more than four or five people in total in a place that is 18,500 sq ft. Some of the equipment is blocked off and things like benches are with and taped off areas so you can’t move them. The water fountain is off-limits and the locker room is off-limits so if you need to go in and use the toilet you The water fountain is off-limits and the locker room is off-limits though if you need to go in and use the toilet you can. You are required to come dressed ready to work out and leave the same way.

I have some stuff at home, but it’s just not the same and I really like going to the gym better, but I’ve been doing some stuff at home and limited stuff at the gym. I told my trainer (we work long distance) that I didn’t want to spend more than 30 minutes in the gym at one time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They opened the club I go to in Westlake Village with the outdoor pool and gym where they have the indoor part along with an outdoor area, but nope not going back even though I miss the swimming so much, not in over 45 years have I missed this long from swimming or the gym, the last swim I did was end of January along with my last work out as I had back surgery beginning of February.

I have hand weights at home, been doing more walking and cycling, I just can't see going back anytime in the near future. Sad how all our lives have been messed up like this because of people wanting to eat crap in China. It has basically destroyed the world we know for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't wait to get into the Gym, not living the rest of my life hiding away from a virus that has a probably zero chance of killing me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For everyone on here saying that going to the gym will kill you, recognize that some gyms and cities have been dealing with Covid better than others.

In my gym in Maryland, it's huge, I go at low times, people are good about wearing masks between sets and the gym gives you a spray bottle and rag to clean equipment. I feel cleaner and safer in the gym and on the plane than I do in a grocery store.

Now that I've moved to Dallas, I'm not sure if I'll go to the gym or not. I guess I'll just have to experiment with time to see when it's deadder n' a doornail. People need to stay active and healthy to fight the virus better. Obviously it defeats the purpose if you catch it at the gym. It's just wild that some states don't consider gyms "essential", but liquor stores are.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've been meeting with our gym friends for walks, to keep our social network strong, and we all agree that unless they replaced the carpets in the time we've been away, we're not going back until they do

Those floors were gross before all this started

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
It's just wild that some states don't consider gyms "essential", but liquor stores are.
Closing liquor stores would impact more voters/campaign donors than closing gyms?

We can go to our local bar and grill, sit outside in close proximity to a few dozen complete strangers, and eat and drink without anyone wearing a mask. But we are required to wear a mask when we go on a dog walk in our rural community where we don't see (much less come into close contact with) another person. Strange times.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
It's just wild that some states don't consider gyms "essential", but liquor stores are.

Don't be like these assholes

https://www.phillyvoice.com/...vid-19-restrictions/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a member and of a lot of gyms and miss going. Muay Thai seems to be high risk as there are no masks. So beware of your sparring partner. People have gotten it from being there and they shut the place down and purify it.

I miss my regular gym and training routine. I find all of this and cancelled races super depressing.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I refuse to live in fear of a cold that has a very very low chance of killing me. Turn off your TV and get cured.

I work in the medical industry and specifically in a Covid isolation clinic (one of three I work in)
Masks are pointless. At least the ones everybody is wearing incorrectly are. We laugh about playing the "game".
We have always taken precautions as we are a medical clinic. A vaccine is not coming. Tests will remain inaccurate.
People will eventually get tired of the nonsense and ignore it all. They already pretty much are.

I go to the gym. I have a gym at home. I run in a group. I bike in groups. I bike and run alone.
Other then pretending to wear a mask when required, my life is completely like it has always been.
Quote Reply
Re: Going back to the gym? [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you clarify why "a vaccine is not coming"?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next