Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line)
Quote | Reply
So I did several races with a bike that was built with di2 1X. These races were quite flat and did not require a lot of crazy gearing. I then returned to 2x. But with my thoughts of wanting to return to 1x and mechanical where is the line for gearing?
Races this year include some good climbing.

So what's the thoughts on large cassettes for tri. Is it worth 1x if the cassette is a 11-36 or bigger 11-42.
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, my Sram Axs build has a 48 crankset and a 10-33 cassette. My coach thinks the 48/33 combination will allow to manage climbs up to 10% gradient. So for you something similar with a 11-36 cassette would be a 52 crankset (I guess?) which also sounds good for flat stuff.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggle to see the point in running 1x set up.

The gains are almost imperceptible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 50t, 10-28 SRAM AXS 1x build on one of my tri bikes. I’m a strong cyclist and there’s zero fucking chance I’d ride a hilly race with that setup. Zero.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

I just like the idea of how simple it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Mario S wrote:

imperceptible gains aren't a bad thing. 1X is also much easier to use. It cuts out the thinking and reduces the amount of accidental shifts in the wrong direction. It should also be cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

Many worthwhile gains are imperceptible. E.g. latex tubes.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 8, 20 6:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were folks running 1x at Savageman this year. I'm not sure what gear ratio they were running, but it had to be something significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DI2 Syncro-Shift is about as easy as you can get, and should give you a lot better gearing (shorter jumps on the cassette).

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-36 is my regular cassette for 1x tri bike, works well for training and moderately hilly races. I’ve also used an 11-42 cassette and that worked well also. But, I don’t mind the bigger jumps between gears. The tighter ratios, like 11-25 and 11-28 (11 speed) I find to be too close together. Just personal preference.
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
Mario S wrote:

imperceptible gains aren't a bad thing. 1X is also much easier to use. It cuts out the thinking and reduces the amount of accidental shifts in the wrong direction. It should also be cheaper.

That's the problem, just like latex tubes, there are no gains.
Seriously, who accidently shifts their gears? I know you guys are triathletes but come on!

Not cheaper since most folk convert a 2x to a 1x so have therefore already invested in the 2x.

Fishbum that's probably the only answer that makes sense, well done. :D

Maybe "I like the way it looks". would be a fair comment to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the gearing on your 2X? What's the front ring on your 1X?
Can you define "good climbing" a bit more specifically? Max/Avg Grade? elevation change?
What would your target climbing power be?
How much do you and your bike weigh?
What is your preferred climbing cadence?

Its all about gear ratios. Specifically your Tallest and shortest gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Really?

I trust this guy:

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

Seriously, who accidently shifts their gears? I know you guys are triathletes but come on!

Yes, it happens with mechanical bar end shifters. Mechanical FD bar end shifters suck---my FD was a friction shifter..no indexing, essentially old-skool downtube shifters. In aero, with hands resting on the ends of the extensions its pretty easy to go over a bump and have the shifters and hands bang together and knock the shifter levers. This usually happens while in the small ring, bouncing up into the larger ring---sucks mid-climb. the opposite can happen from the big ring while pulling hard on the extensions---you end up pulling the lever up and dropping onto the small ring.

Also because of their location and orientation, they have a long moment arm. I've had a couple of bumps knock the FD out of my selected gear, without ever hitting my hands. Obviously, this is "just not a thing" on a road bike with STI.

Then there is the dreaded chain rub on the FD cage---for whatever reason, I spent a lot of time tweaking the FD shifter to get the cage just right. Again with STI, you just give it a half-click up or down.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 8, 20 7:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

Not cheaper since most folk convert a 2x to a 1x so have therefore already invested in the 2x.

Have you taken a survey?? I honestly don’t know what others do, but not buying an etap FD or Clics/blips/chainring probably saved me $500-700. I assume that most who try 1x start from scratch, which is what I did, or those who convert, would then sell the parts they aren’t using.

Regardless, those savings are perceptible to my wallet. I have an entirely wireless etap set up that cost me less than a mechanical 2x set up.

If pure speed is the only consideration, I can see why this debate may rage on. For me, I like the looks, simplicity and savings of 1x. We all make equipment decisions that cost us some time because we make the determination that the benefit outweighs the cost. If running 1x costs me 10 seconds in a sprint, I can live with that.

But, to answer OP's original question, I personally wouldn't stay with 1x if I need a 42 cassette and maybe not even if I need a 36. I run 50t with an 11/30. Is that perfect gearing for all conditions? No. But, its pretty darn good for where I live and I can live with minimal time losses for perhaps not having the absolute perfect gearing for every situation. I mean what are the consequences on most courses if the gearing is slightly less than ideal?? You have to stand up and your HR spikes a bit. This is, after all, a hobby.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 8, 20 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
What's the gearing on your 2X? What's the front ring on your 1X?
Can you define "good climbing" a bit more specifically? Max/Avg Grade? elevation change?
What would your target climbing power be?
How much do you and your bike weigh?
What is your preferred climbing cadence?

Its all about gear ratios. Specifically your Tallest and shortest gears.

Those are some good questions that I don't necessarily have all the answers to. The Viking question is a size large speed concept. The race that makes me question it is Lake Placid. I know roughly what the total elevation gain is but I'm unsure of what the max climb percentage is.
When I'm in good shape I'm usually around 155 lb but as for what wattage I intend to climb at I don't really know as I train with a power meter but race off a heart rate. When possible I prefer to spin when climbing but obviously that is not always an option. On my felt da my one x set up was a 50 tooth chainring and 11/34 rear cassette.
The 2x setup on speed concept is an 11-28 cassette and a 52/36 chainrings.
I was thinking I would at least have to do a 50 tooth chainring up front again and then be prepared to either go at least to a 38 cassette if not larger for something like Placid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off. No one even bother engaging with Mario S. Dude is the Slowtwitch equivalent of a flat-earther.

I don't know if you've done Boulder 70.3 or Santa Cruz 70.3, but I did both of those on my 56t with a 11-32. I think in boulder I only hit the 32t on one very steep short section. Santa Cruz I'm not sure I ever got there. It may be because I haven't ridden a bike with 2x in literally 3 years, but I think people overestimate how hard it is to climb with a 1x setup. Or they're not doing any overgear work during training. After a block of a lot of overgear work, including a couple of 2x20min FTP @ ~75rpm, the idea of having to ride 300w at 60-70rpm for 5 minutes on a climb isn't bad at all. I don't think that takes any more out of me than riding at a normal cadence.

1x is simple and effective, and if you do your gearing correctly, provides a near perfect chainline for 90% of your race, even for a course with hills.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
There were folks running 1x at Savageman this year. I'm not sure what gear ratio they were running, but it had to be something significant.

I also raced Savage man this year and I saw one or two people with one x bikes which is absolutely insane on that course.
That's also where I witnessed another di2 failure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without commenting on your race strategy....

Even if you plan to race by HR, you should still be around the 80% FTP range, could be less if its a hot/humid day. But, that is enough to ball-park the gearing question.

Some good info on IMLP:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...acid_guide_3785.html

Of particular interest:

Quote:
What is the hardest hill on the course and what gearing do I need?

As previously mentioned there is no hardest climb. There are many moderately difficult climbs. 34x25 or 34x27 small gearing is recommended for most riders. If you don’t have a compact with a 34 tooth small ring, it would be beneficial to upgrade the cassette to a 12x27 or 11x28. Those on Shimano drive train can actually go with an SRAM chain and SRAM 11-32 cassette. It works with the B screw set all the way back. Unfortunately this won’t actually work on an SRAM drive train unless you go to a long cage rear derailleur.

34x25 = 50x36
34x27 = 50x42

or you could drop to a 48t in front. Then you are trading at what speed you spin-out on the downhill. You will likely trade some additional drivetrain frictional losses with a setup like that. How much that matters to you is a personal choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've accidentally shift up instead of down on both 2X and 1X but it happens much less on 1X. I've also paused to think about shifting the front ring or the rear cassette. This wastes time and doesn't happen with a 1X. Shifting your front ring and rear at the same time is a risky move and obviously not a problem with 1X.
Also shifting the front rings under load requires a larger drop in power than then shifting the rear. Shifting the front is less efficient than shifting the rear.
And 1X just looks cleaner and is one less thing to break.
Reminder when triples were the norm on entry level bikes 20 years ago? My wife had one, she left it in the middle ring, effectually making it a you know what.
I have two almost identical tri bikes one with 1X and one with 2X. The next bike I buy will be a 1X I'm just annoyed that so few bike companies sell bikes in this configuration.
Didn't Frodo ride a 1X set up at Kona? I wanna be like him.
What are the advantages to 2X other than a few extra gears?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you’d be absolutely nuts running a 1x at Lake Placid unless you’re a former Tour rider.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I think you’d be absolutely nuts running a 1x at Lake Placid unless you’re a former Tour rider.

You use a cassette that goes up to something like 36, I have actually have an easier granny gear on my 1X than my 2X and have 54 in front on both bikes.
Yes I've rode the Lake Placid course on the 1X several times.
I've also had my front shifter cable break while racing IMLP. Still had an okay bike split stuck in the small ring for the second loop.
Never had a front shift cable break on my 1X.
I'm not a former Tour rider but thanks for the compliment.
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bifff wrote:
I've accidentally shift up instead of down on both 2X and 1X but it happens much less on 1X. I've also paused to think about shifting the front ring or the rear cassette. This wastes time and doesn't happen with a 1X. Shifting your front ring and rear at the same time is a risky move and obviously not a problem with 1X.
Also shifting the front rings under load requires a larger drop in power than then shifting the rear. Shifting the front is less efficient than shifting the rear.
And 1X just looks cleaner and is one less thing to break.
Reminder when triples were the norm on entry level bikes 20 years ago? My wife had one, she left it in the middle ring, effectually making it a you know what.
I have two almost identical tri bikes one with 1X and one with 2X. The next bike I buy will be a 1X I'm just annoyed that so few bike companies sell bikes in this configuration.
Didn't Frodo ride a 1X set up at Kona? I wanna be like him.
What are the advantages to 2X other than a few extra gears?

I totally buy the "it looks cleaner". Agree 100% with that. Especially with a TT specific chainring or the force axs.

According to some I'm a flat earthier, not quite, But I'm no triathlete, just Your average UK TTer. 👌

For me the critical bit of my gearing is having as close a range at the rear. So 11-21 or 11-25 is what I select. Having the one tooth difference is important to me. So I get my high and low range from the 2x set up with a 56-39. With that set up I can climb up to 14% grades seated with shorter out the saddle on steeper sections.

I just don't buy the miss shift, if you are doing that a lot then you need to ride your TT bike more often, and that will gain you more time.

Nothing slows you down like needing one more gear on a climb when you are already no the rivet.
Quote Reply
Re: Going 1X for triathlon (where do you draw the line) [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think about doing Oceanside 70.3 on that same gearing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next